Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Started on a new map. Why? Fuck I dont know. Was listening to some dark ambient stuff and got in the mood. NEVERMIND the flatness of the terrain. Its early WIP

I'd try to make that dark tall wall bright like the others. The darkness looks more fitting on the smaller stuff. Flaming barrels used for flames seem like a good idea there.

The linedef for that wall is straight east-west, so the Doom code automatically makes it darker (or is it the other way around, making the north-south walls lighter?). You can see all the small walls with the same direction are also totally black. The huge walls are lighter because of lava underneath, thus higher light levels. Dont know what to do with this issue actually. Maybe up all the lightlevels with 16. That might work.

All areas that are not lit are light level 128, which is kinda dark. Also its software, so..

EDIT:

I like the first one the best. Also, damn thats one hella brown map lol

darkreaver said:

The linedef for that wall is straight east-west, so the Doom code automatically makes it darker (or is it the other way around, making the north-south walls lighter?).

It's both.

If I ever have an issue like that with fake contrast, I use a 1px wide sector against the wall in question and raise the light level of that little sector to change the wall's brightness, and then mask the floor/ceiling brightness with brightness transfers.

I wonder how it'd be if instead of relying on the direction of the line, fake contrast would depend on the facing. So, say, lines facing north and west would be brighter, while lines facing south and east would be darker. There'd still be issues, of course, and that'd be far less convenient for one-sided lines in comparison to how easy it'd be to use for two-sided ones, but I think it'd better more appropriate for faking shadows than the current method.

an_mutt said:

A lot of curve line usage, then drawing on the 1/2/4 unit grids to get what I want - doesn't take too much time, as long as I'm planning out everything ahead of time. Results in a fair number of bleeding linedefs though, which is a chore to take care of!

Anyway, aquatex map:

http://i.imgur.com/oQvgAui.png
http://i.imgur.com/UY9CHKL.png
http://i.imgur.com/0qYYusu.png
http://i.imgur.com/lAlXiCb.png

(still finishing up on the outdoor areas)

I approve.

Empyre said:

you could make the wall off-angle by 1 pixel.

If the node builder decides to split such a linedef into 2 segs (which is sometimes unavoidable (with algorithms used by currently existing nodebuilders, that is)), half of the linedef will appear to have fake contrast and half of it will not.

YukiHerz said:

now i know my bamboo textures are too bright.

I actually like them as they are.

scifista42 said:

I actually like them as they are.

If you mean the ones you see in the picture, those were darkened via slade, the original ones can be found in the latest textures thread, you can see they were much brighter, it actually hurts my eyes using the originals.

lol
my map for teh DMP is slowly becoming a junk psychedelic joke wad
next step is probably adding a bunch of ss soldiers

joe-ilya said:

I see doomguy's finger under your SSG hand replacement, try using this "no hands" wad from IDgames (I made the Rainbow Dash HUD by modifying these graphics BTW) : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/nohands

Thanks for the notice, Joe! :) The sprites with no hands look cool. But In this case, I think I can adjust my original hand sprite to fix the issue.

i love sewer levels
i get a kick out of the idea of Doomentity fighting in all the places that people and industry have transformed into miniature hells of their own. the abstract "red hell" holds absolutely no interest, I propose the subterranean plumbing layer of the planet as one of the major circles of modern hell

Really strong atmosphere in that scene, yakfak. I think the sewery theme has a lot more potential for interesting design than it's usually given credit for.

^ hee thanks! I have to admit that the atmosphere in the level as it is developing isn't exactly consistent... beyond green brick and an underground feeling all bets are off! but I thought the screenshot and the sentiment were good enough to post

You know, people really take the fire and brimstone angle too often when it comes to the Dante's inferno interpretation of hell, but you never see chilly Cocytus.

I do really like seeing more atypical\abstract interpretations myself.

Marcaek said:

You know, people really take the fire and brimstone angle too often when it comes to the Dante's inferno interpretation of hell, but you never see chilly Cocytus.

A frozen hell is harder to pull off with stock textures. I'd even argue it's hard to pull with the stock palette, Doom doesn't have the tones of blue that can efficiently convey ice and snow.

Marcaek said:

I do really like seeing more atypical\abstract interpretations myself.

Originally when I had started mapping, I planned for my megawad magnum opus to have the first 15 maps take place on Earth with the player traveling to a Hell portal (I planned them to be short Scythe style maps, of course), and then the other 15 maps would be much larger and focus on various mythologies and their interpretations of the afterlife (in the order of Xibalba, Jahannam, Duat, Diyu, Niflheim, and lastly Tartarus). Having liked Hell as a setting the most in Doom, I wanted to explore what it would be like using the flavors of various mythologies, but it was one of those projects where I knew I would need to spend a long time finding/crafting textures for it, so it's always been shelved.

If I was to do it nowadays, I'd probably ax the whole "journey to hell" portion of game and reduce each rendition of the afterlife to its own map. That, or open it up to be a community project with careful vetting on my end.

I really want to get back into mapping, so I'm doing a crappy warm up map:

I really need to work on height variation.

Perhaps on more varied room shapes too.

Gez said:

A frozen hell is harder to pull off with stock textures. I'd even argue it's hard to pull with the stock palette, Doom doesn't have the tones of blue that can efficiently convey ice and snow.

You also need frost-themed monsters, not ones which breathe fire.

E1M1 remake for Doom 2. I featured a dramatic opening, where you're outside the facility. There are nods to all of the familiar sections, although the corridor leading to the outside armor is now, as you can see, a chamber for growing vegetation.

esselfortium said:

Really strong atmosphere in that scene, yakfak. I think the sewery theme has a lot more potential for interesting design than it's usually given credit for.

I'm one of the twelve people on this planet that actually likes sewer levels in video games.

Sewer themes don't have to be sewer layouts. If your map flows like something designed to carry shit what do you expect?

Marcaek said:

Sewer themes don't have to be sewer layouts. If your map flows like something designed to carry shit what do you expect?

It should flow really well then.