Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Do you play with classic status bar?

I always use the deafault classic bar with recolors and font changes most community wads do. The layout is always the same though. Using ZDoom with the bar scaled up based on resolution. I tried playing without Doomguy's face and I realized that without it, I can't easily check my current health level. Having the changing face alongside the number representation really speeds up my ability to tell how I'm doing.

Also, being able to see the ammo of all weapons is quite useful too.

Sometimes, I disable the bar to be able to see lower, when I'm on a ledge and need to shoot down. Otherwise, it's always on. Not having it there feels very weird.

I only play with classic status bar.(edit) I mostly played doom on consoles leading up till a few years ago When I decided to get it on pc as well. It feels really weird to me to not have it on.

I mostly alternate between the classic status bar and the boom/zdoom/whatever mini statusbar thing a lot, but I still enjoy using the classic status bar from time to time.

I play with the classic status bar or without it depends on the feeling. Sometimes I like to use HUD mods & other times I like to use the classic DooM Guy face at the bottom.

Depends on the map. If its lenient on ammo, I'll ditch the status bar for better vertical views. If its ammo tight ("300 lines", I'm looking at you) I'm forced to keep ammos readily available. If the map is using vertical space a lot, I'll ditch the bar. I guess I swap between no bar and bar a lot.

I typically play with just the transparent overlay (zdoom's "second biggest" screen size), or even without the status bar at all.

However I've noticed that particularly atmospheric levels sometimes seem even more atmospheric when played with the classic bar on. I can only assume it's just nostalgia talking though.

I quite like the classic status bar, but I don't like the GRNROCK border that fills out the sides in wide-screen. Since most source ports now implement a decent looking full-screen HUD I tend to use those instead.

When I play, I always use status bar. I just like to see all the gauges and percentages in front of me, feels much better than a big screen of nothingness. Not to mention the classic marine portrait which I use to determine where I'm standing health-wise without actually looking at my health gauge. I also have custom status bar and marine portrait so it's more fresh to look at.

Urthar said:

I quite like the classic status bar, but I don't like the GRNROCK border that fills out the sides in wide-screen. Since most source ports now implement a decent looking full-screen HUD I tend to use those instead.

Yea I agree. I'm using mostly Zdoom and I really don't like the GRNROCK choice. Is there a way to change it to something else, like FLAT14?

Uni said:

Yea I agree. I'm using mostly Zdoom and I really don't like the GRNROCK choice. Is there a way to change it to something else, like FLAT14?

If you willing to edit the WAD file, then for for ZDoom you can add/edit the ZMAPINFO and redefine the borderflat, but the little border edge graphics might remain a problem.

ZaBigBoss said:

ZDoom really made it difficult for me to ever go back to having a status bar. I enjoy the extra space. Feels like I'm IN the game. woo

This. While I like seeing doomguy's face, the zdoom bar lets one see more.

Agreed with Memfis! I play with classic status bar with red numbers, even stretched. Yet sometimes I press "+" and "-" to peek how many monsters and secrets left (or demo time).

I used to use ZDoom's fullscreen HUD and advanced HUD. After a couple years of that, I switched back to using the original status bar. Playing a few older WADs in Chocolate Doom convinced me to. It felt a lot more "Doomy" to have the bar rather than some floating icons and numbers, even if it took up a lot more screen space.

Relatedly, I've never seriously played Doom with a reduced screen size. Sometimes I forget it's even an option.

I do use the classic status face too but the animated one (blink_v2, the slower more humanlike delay ink blinking).

Oh, and a widescreen friendly status bar so I don't see the floor texture on the sides.

No. Why exactly would I want to do that? To see less? The (G)ZDOOM alt HUD is what I use (unless I go super oldschool and play via Dosbox).

Soundblock said:

Where'd you get this?

Somewhere on the ZDoom forums, it was named WIDESTBAR.WAD or something like that. Here's a copy I uploaded.

I am pretty much tired of seeing the classic HUD so I really couldn't play without a custom one.