Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

I guess the question boils down to if AA or Bloodstain is better. Has Ribbicks/Skillsaw been given an espi? If not, there we go.

SArais said:

I guess the question boils down to if AA or Bloodstain is better. Has Ribbicks/Skillsaw been given an espi? If not, there we go.

gettin pretty BDL up in this thread

SArais said:

Given it's the 10 best wads of the year, it hardly matters.

Eris Falling said:

Given it's the 10 best wads of the year, it hardly matters.

You see 10 best wads of the year, I see 10 contestants entering a last wad standing battle royale. The winners from the past years will be parachuted in later to fuck with the competition. Here's my vote for Scythe 2.

Would having an actual award presentation/"show"/video entirely built in doom for this year be a good idea? 23 years of doom. That's a lot buddy.

Good idea, we could hire SamuraiClinton to do all the machinima.

No wait, I meant, terrible idea.

I think wadsmoosh deserves an honorable mention somewhere.

A little utility which combines doom 1, 2, tnt, plutonia, master levels, and no rest for the living wads into 1 large wad, with no music, texture, or other conflicts.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52757 Maybe not cacoward worthy, but deserves a footnote somewhere.

Certainly makes switching between doom 1, 2, and others much easier, as you dont have to shut the game down, and load a new one

Voros said:

When will the Cacowards be revealed? I mean come on, it's September.

They will be revealed in January, a month later than December when they are meant to be just to kindly piss you off personally :) (maybe)

I wonder if Bessie is keeping tabs on the Cacowards. They bought the IP; they probably keep eyes on what is one of the most important parts of DOOM's community, yes?

SArais said:

Should we have awards for "Best X" outside of gameplay and map wads? We should probably bring up Monster, weapon, and otherwise; due to being a newer category, should be able to include prior years.

Best New Monsters (Harbinger.Wad should be mentioned)
Best New Music
Best New Weapon
Best Scrapped Wad (I nominate Demon Eclipse; I can post what I believe is the best version.)
Best Spriter/CarpalTunnelward (We should of had this ages ago); We need one for the guy who ruins his wrists for hours making the things we shoot at, run on, and pick up.

I would also love to see a "Best released / upcoming indie projects based on Doom engine" category of some sort, since they seem to be getting more popular.

Best wad with exactly 17 imps on the third map
Best unreleased wad nobody ever heard about
Best wad actually released five years ago but nobody noticed back then
Best wad smaller than 5mb
Best wad larger than 50mb
Best wad with MIDI music
Best wad with streamed music
Best vanilla wad
Best Boom wad
Best Chocolate Doom wad
Best Crispy Doom wad
Best Doom Legacy wad
Best Doom Retro wad
Best Doomsday wad
Best 3DGE wad
Best Eternity wad
Best GZDoom wad
Best Odamex wad
Best ReMooD wad
Best Risen3D wad
Best Zandronum wad
Best ZDaemon wad
Best ZDoom wad
Best wad fitting none of the above categories
Best wad fitting all of the above categories, including the one about not fitting them

antares031 said:

By the way, how many wads I can nominate for Cacowards? One for each category, or is it unlimited?

Unlimited. All we're doing is suggesting wads for the awards team to play and consider.

Gez said:

Best wad actually released five years ago but nobody noticed back then

I feel like this defines hideous destructor... its come such an extremely long way.

makes me wish there was a complete feature list

Hi there, new member here.

Probably not a big deal for most here, but this year is Chex Quest's 20th anniversary and a couple of mappers have put together some cool stuff for that (myself included). Just wanted to leave a quick note here in case you guys hadn't yet heard about some of these; Chukker is also working on an HD version of the original game for the Unreal Engine, too.

But that's beside the point! I'm posting because I would personally like to nominate this wad, which hasn't yet been uploaded to the archives but was amazingly well put together, in my opinion: Chex Quest: Doomsday. A great example of more modern Doom architecture set in the Chex universe; a neat twist on an old game reminiscent of that mysterious Chex Quest 3 that surfaced briefly many years ago only to have been denounced as fake, except this one was done in good faith by a mapper who I think has a lot of talent.

Thanks for everything you guys have done for the Doom modding community over the years and for compiling some great wads in one place here.

Tifosi 92 said:

Hi there, new member here.

Probably not a big deal for most here, but this year is Chex Quest's 20th anniversary and a couple of mappers have put together some cool stuff for that (myself included). Just wanted to leave a quick note here in case you guys hadn't yet heard about some of these; Chukker is also working on an HD version of the original game for the Unreal Engine, too.

But that's beside the point! I'm posting because I would personally like to nominate this wad, which hasn't yet been uploaded to the archives but was amazingly well put together, in my opinion: Chex Quest: Doomsday. A great example of more modern Doom architecture set in the Chex universe; a neat twist on an old game reminiscent of that mysterious Chex Quest 3 that surfaced briefly many years ago only to have been denounced as fake, except this one was done in good faith by a mapper who I think has a lot of talent.

Thanks for everything you guys have done for the Doom modding community over the years and for compiling some great wads in one place here.

That link doesn't display much, since that forum requires you to be logged in to see the screenshots inside the spoiler box.

+1 Urania. Very unique megawad that combines huge, complex and non-linear adventure maps with hardcore incidental combat.

From what I've seen from Tarnsman's playtrough of the wad, the majority of Urania's maps have questionable design choices and just go on for too long. I honestly don't get why people are blindly praising this wad and how it deserves a cacoward.

Yeah, I think judging maps based on someone else's playing is much more blind in comparison. Usually you're supposed to experience the wad by yourself.