Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

I'm surprised D4D doesn't have a lot of votes. It's a great gameplay mod. I also nominate Insanity's Brutality. Mainly because of the large arsenal and sound leveling fixes, so that some sounds aren't quiet as hell, while others are loud on mute.

Sgt Ender said:

I'm surprised D4D doesn't have a lot of votes. It's a great gameplay mod. I also nominate Insanity's Brutality. Mainly because of the large arsenal and sound leveling fixes, so that some sounds aren't quiet as hell, while others are loud on mute.

Meh. It's unbalanced and there are fuckton of rifles with different skins that act similar. Project Brutality is way better and every weapon there is unique, really. There is also new monsters and fancy weapon skins for Traditional Mode.

So yeah, I think I will nominate Project Brutality for Best Gameplay Mod award.

Zapzop said:

Meh. It's unbalanced and there are fuckton of rifles with different skins that act similar. Project Brutality is way better and every weapon there is unique, really. There is also new monsters and fancy weapon skins for Traditional Mode.

So yeah, I think I will nominate Project Brutality for Best Gameplay Mod award.

What do you mean? They don't have the vortex rifle in it OR the hellshot. The creator is thinking of adding the repeater though.

To me it just sounds like you're assuming the worst of it just because it's based off of Doom 2016.

Count for 31.08-10.10
(old counts are around page 11)

GZDoom Wobbly Shader -- 1 (for Mockaward)
WOOO 3 -- 1
Warphouse -- 1
Chex Quest: Doomsday -- 1
Combined Arms -- 1
Urania -- 1
END POINT -- 1
D4D -- 2
Bloodstain -- 1
AA -- 1
Harambe.wad -- 1 (for Mockaward)
Scythe 2 -- 1 (wait, what?)

Until now, for me it is:

Ancient Aliens
Bloodstain
Chex Quest 20th Anniversary: Galactic Conflict
Mutiny
No Sleep for the Dead

Sgt Ender said:

What do you mean? They don't have the vortex rifle in it OR the hellshot. The creator is thinking of adding the repeater though.

To me it just sounds like you're assuming the worst of it just because it's based off of Doom 2016.

I am talking about Insanity's Brutality, not D4D. D4D is actually cool. IB also has some nice things in it's Doom 2016 mode(like upgrades spawned instead of drones in SgtMarkIV addon), but otherwise, there is way too much weapons. I find myself not using more than half of them whenever I play it. There are options to disable certain weapons, but some weapons shouldn't have been even added in first place.

Zapzop said:

I am talking about Insanity's Brutality, not D4D. D4D is actually cool. IB also has some nice things in it's Doom 2016 mode(like upgrades spawned instead of drones in SgtMarkIV addon), but otherwise, there is way too much weapons. I find myself not using more than half of them whenever I play it. There are options to disable certain weapons, but some weapons shouldn't have been even added in first place.

Ohhh. I agree with you there I guess.

dobu gabu maru said:

+1 for Alien Vendetta: Black Label. Vorpal did a fantastic job with those two maps and its still striking to me how intricately designed they are.

It should certainly get the Mordeth Award.

Could it be true that no one has mentioned Absolute Dishonor yet? Is anyone still playing Doom, coz this is some of the Doomiest Doom to ever Doom. Play it.

In stark contrast is End Point. Quite disappointing considering the author, very pedestrian and sorely lacking. We know you can do much better Eternal, stop being a tease!

glenzinho said:

Absolute Dishonor

Yeah. That and Mutiny would be my two latest nominations. Just finished playing both of them last week. I'm with you on not enjoying End Point, but I've never loved any of Eternal's wads, and I know I'm in the minority there.

demo_the_man said:

+1 for the booty project(for mordeth)

That proyect doesn't even have a year of development

I almost want to toss DRLA+Doorpeg up there again... Assuming their major updates come before the deadline and it doesn't stop others from winning the award too.

RottKing's Elf Gets Pissed for Heretic is, what I think, one of the best custom Heretic episodes of all-time. It just missed the cut-off last year and I think it deserves a look this time around.

Ralphis said:

It just missed the cut-off last year and I think it deserves a look this time around.

Wasn't it released in February 2016? Imo, public beta phase doesn't count as a release, so this should be unambiguously eligible for the 2016 Cacowards.

@Sgt Ender: all the multiplayer weapons are coming for D4D.

I wish I could nominate S.U.P.E.R. Natural for its demo, if possible. But if not counted due to being just a demo, that's understandable.

Anyway, surprisingly, I wound up enjoying Hell On Earth Starter Pack to the point where I started converting it for D4D itself. Beautiful mapset and everything.

Also +1 for Xaser's ARGENT.

Major Cooke said:

@Sgt Ender: all the multiplayer weapons are coming for D4D.

I wish I could nominate S.U.P.E.R. Natural for its demo, if possible. But if not counted due to being just a demo, that's understandable.

Anyway, surprisingly, I wound up enjoying Hell On Earth Starter Pack to the point where I started converting it for D4D itself. Beautiful mapset and everything.

Also +1 for Xaser's ARGENT.

Ah, that's something good to hear after being ungrounded. So how will the weapons stand out from each other exactly?

buncha neat gameplay mods that're quite fun to play this year. Doom 4 Doom is probably one of the big ones, bringing gameplay elements from Doom 4 into Doom, while fixing numerous balance issues the base game had (like overpowered Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun.)

MetaDoom is another one that deserves recognition i think, paying tribute to all of the Doom franchise by taking all manners of guns, monsters and gameplay from them and implementing them here. while still unfinished and has some balance issues, it's still very playable and fairly fun to play. bonus points for implementing Ultra-Nightmare in a fairly functional manner.

Xaser's ARGENT is good too, taking the guns from Doom 4, but making them behave more like the original Doom guns and not tweaking the monsters, giving it a fairly classic feel. when the next update comes, it'll be a nice way to replay classic PWADs with.

also if i haven't mentioned it yet, LegenDoom from the same developers of DRLA. based on the Legendary system of Fallout 4, it replaces some monsters with Legendary versions of themselves, only showing up when you knock out a chunk of their health. killing them gives you a weapon with a Legendary effect, which can vary from increasing the effectivness of healing supplies, dealing more damage when you're low on health, or just make your guns shoot explosions. bonus points for being compatible with basically every custom monsters ever. yes.

as for mapsets, there's quite a few of them! Echelon from Sverre is cool, because of its bite-sized maps and having a story-line going through it all, Ancient Aliens is one of the most surreal (and hard!) mapsets i've ever played, THT: Threnody is a nice tribute to the late Ty (RIP), Japanese Community Project has some cool maps in it, and Bloodstain is a fun megawad.

also, if it's allowed, i'd want to nominate Andrew Hulshult's IDKFA remix album of Doom's soundtrack, as well as Gary Gritness's synth cover album of it. both are excellent in their own ways and i feel should get some recognition.

KiLerZolika said:

+1 H-Doom
+1 WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony

But WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony isn't released yet. Or is it?

Zapzop said:

But WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony isn't released yet. Or is it?

Oops, my bad.
Officially it doesn't, but you can download the whole project via Github