Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Nintendo Switch.

My question is, is it stronger in terms of hardware specs than the Wii U? It still looks gimmicky with the modulating controller tho.

Definitely piqued my interest.

I've come to realize however that I don't really have many scenarios where I'd want to play video games outside of home. The few situations that this is the case I have some simple, mind numbing games on my phone already to fill that hole.

Another quirk I'm not too keen on but is inherently a limitation of the hybrid design is the small, easy to lose components which will inevitably be expensive to replace should they go missing or break.

I'll wait to see what titles are coming to the console before I pay too much attention, but I'm still interested in it!

It certainly looks interesting, and I generally like Nintendo's games. But that doesn't mean much to me since I was interested in the Wii U when it was announced, and that didn't turn out quite as well.

There are a lot of things I like about it though. The first thing that hit me were the cartridges over discs, which I have a weird preference for. Presumably they will cut down on load times? I tend to prefer carts over discs mostly because the hardware tends to last longer.

I also love portable consoles, so this naturally interests me. Though it looks a good bit bigger than, say, a 3DS. So I don't know if it'll fill the exact same role because of that. But if I get this thing, I will definitely enjoy how you can detach the game and play it anywhere.

It also looks like its going to have decent 3rd party support, which is a big deal for its general success (though personally I don't care as much about most 3rd party games). I hope this means it has decent specs so it can get and keep future 3rd party support and not fizzle out a year or two after launch.

The potentially new Splatoon game almost sells me on this from the get-go. I looove Splatoon, it was probably my favorite game on the Wii U. Depending on the news about that game, I might just get this for that game alone. The new Mario also looked neat from the short vid of it.

The first bad thing that hit me was the controller. This, plus the console+portable aspect, seems to be the 'gimmick' this time around. Anything that can be removed and snapped to things like that is going to have to be sturdy. Especially if the thing is meant to be semi-portable. It looks kind of cheap from the video, but I can't really judge based on that. So I'm hoping its going to be stout and well made. Also I didn't think about it, but Dragonfly is right; those snappy bits can be easily lost, and I'm sure they won't be cheap to replace.

The name 'Switch' seems kind of odd...better than 'Wii U' or '*New* 3DS', but still sort of bland and forgettable. I dunno, maybe that's just me. It won't matter if Nintendo does their marketing correctly.

A few things I'm curious about...I wonder if DS/3DS games will work on it? Will they finally do away with region lock? Will they finally consolidate their software platforms so that we can keep and/or transfer software bought on other consoles (eg. Wii U virtual console games)?

Huh, well I said a lot more than I intended :P.

Dragonfly said:

Definitely piqued my interest.

I've come to realize however that I don't really have many scenarios where I'd want to play video games outside of home. The few situations that this is the case I have some simple, mind numbing games on my phone already to fill that hole.

This, but remember, you're not a kid anymore. We as adults only have a little bit of time to play video games and that just happens to be when we're at home. Kids have a lot of time, with short attention spans

Huh, rather versatile. The gamepad also looks decent, a step up from gimmick motion control and the annoying Gamecube controller.

I'll probably end up still calling it the NX. It's a nice-looking system at least. Surprised all those rumors turned out to be true in the end, even the cartridge thing.

J.B.R said:

Couldn't think of a better name, eh Nintendo?
What a joke.

Compared to what? Xbox one and ps4?

40oz said:

Compared to what? Xbox one and ps4?

Playstation 4 is simple and straight to the point, anybody can figure out which one is the newest one.

Xbox - Xbox 360 - Xbox One...... yeah there's no defending that one.

I kinda like Nintendo Switch, it definitely differentiates itself more than the Wii U and Wii

Provided it has the games (and the teasers - particularly with the new editions of Mario Kart and Splatoon - leave me optimistically hopeful) then I'll be all over it.

I don't really see what the big deal is, playing games that are slightly more visually enhanced than current handhelds, and then being able to pick it back up on a console that's slightly behind console hardware. It's clearly trying to bridge the gap but it seems very inelegant and it's still the same button pushing paradigm we've been a part of for decades.

It just shows speculation about an immediate use for that patent was wrong. The patent is still something they can either use as a basis for some hardware or leverage for money if they want.

Skyrim on a handheld, eh? Sounds hard to play. I can't say much about Zelda or Mario games. I've always found them impossibly difficult. I blame my parents for refusing to let us have a console until that time they bought us a Virtual Boy.

Nintendo is interesting because they're always building and selling combinations of hardware we know are possible, but seem unlikely. I'm looking forward to details about this thing even though I don't really do console games and I can almost never see well enough for any given handheld game.

J.B.R said:

What a joke.

Glaice said:

My question is, is it stronger in terms of hardware specs than the Wii U? It still looks gimmicky with the modulating controller tho.

Dragonfly said:

I don't really have many scenarios where I'd want to play video games outside of home

Doominator2 said:

Controller looks awful

You know, 99.9% of the Internet was nothing but positive about this. Then I get on Doomworld Forums and see... exactly what I expected.

You know what's really gimmicky? A device that plugs up to a television that only plays "games". Why would someone make a device with sophisticated components, and limit it only to consuming content?

Actually Nintendo is doing the Right thing, unlike Sony who tries to fight PC head on lol.
They need to make the consoles fun to play with enough innovation, there is not point at all to try to make a POWERFUL CONSOLE, those kind of console are not that competitive anymore, they can´t compete with the PCs GPU...
Look how the PS4 is struggling.... even their VR and PRO versions are a joke for the Price they are asking... A friend of mine was BLOWN AWAY with his Ps4 vr, I put him a Vive and put him to play Onward, he wanted to cry that he wasted money on the PS4 vr....

Wild Dog said:

Actually Nintendo is doing the Right thing, unlike Sony who tries to fight PC head on lol.
They need to make the consoles fun to play with enough innovation, there is not point at all to try to make a POWERFUL CONSOLE, those kind of console are not that competitive anymore, they can´t compete with the PCs GPU...
Look how the PS4 is struggling.... even their VR and PRO versions are a joke for the Price they are asking... A friend of mine was BLOWN AWAY with his Ps4 vr, I put him a Vive and put him to play Onward, he wanted to cry that he wasted money on the PS4 vr....

Exactly, why reinvent the wheel? There are XBOX/PS4 owners, then there are PC/WiiU owners. I'm in the latter camp. There's no reason to own a watered down PC with no other real functions when Steam is only getting better and better. And I don't have to pay for the game delivery services on PC either!

You are quite right. Same friend was bragging about his PS4 library.. LOL dude i have over 500 games on Steam, i can Play PS1,2 games on my PC, Gamecube games on my PC, NES,SNES,N64, GAMEBOY,GBA,ETC on my PC... REALLY you trying to compare your library to my PC Library???

In a Few years Nintendo wiil reaming almost alone on the console Market, Sony most likely will pull out like they did with the Vaios, Microsoft next xbox most likely will be like a Steam Machine with a Watered Down Windows OS.... even somes games are already compatible with Xbox One and PC....

I'm really looking forward to the Switch.

I usually try not to be negative, but saying that Nintendo will be the only ones left in the console industry is far fetched.

Nintendo is literally becoming less relevant each year, just look at the Wii U, that was a disaster and not to mention that Nintendo is pretty much living in the past. How long can Nintendo keep selling us the same games over and over again? Probably when people stop buying

It's called the Switch because you'll switch to something else as soon as you play it.

Bravo...Nintendo...has done it....again...

Doominator2 said:

I usually try not to be negative, but saying that Nintendo will be the only ones left in the console industry is far fetched.

Nintendo is literally becoming less relevant each year, just look at the Wii U, that was a disaster and not to mention that Nintendo is pretty much living in the past. How long can Nintendo keep selling us the same games over and over again? Probably when people stop buying

Yeah, it's true they are becoming less relevant, that´s why they blown away the market with Pokemon Go, their Mascot is going to the be mascot of the 2020 Olympics. Yep that is really less relevant....
Microsoft is merging Xbox with PC slowly, they know that they can´t fight against it, even they don´t care to fight PC, because they get money with Xbox and PC....

Sony are the ones that are losing their mind saying that they can fight PC with an overpriced and outdated systems....

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12867004/ps4-pro-vs-pc-xbox-one-project-scorpio

I guess you could say this design is pretty outside the box thinking.

Harr

J.B.R said:

What a joke.

Don't provoke them or they'll call it Wii 2

No interest in this, but I never understood the blind appeal of Nintendo to begin with..I mean, playing the same recycled games over and over, with very minor tweaks or silly gimmicks. The new Zelda.. I mean come on, the graphics are not good. It looks like a Gamecube era game. I see no reason this will appeal to anyone outside diehard fans, and absurd scenarios presented in the reveal ad aren't selling me either (yeah let's play some hoops then pop our Switches out on this picnic table for a pickup game!!).

Of course you won´t see the appeal of this machine, because you are not the target of it. It´s more for the casual market, that may want to play a game now and then and have fun with it. That´s why their products are cheap and they keep brining their classic games or Sega Classic games.
They are doing a better effort than Sony with the PS4 Pro... which is expensive for what it is.

In terms of the design, this is what I thought the Wii U was going to be in the first place, something that gives you the ability to take the games on the go. Other than Super Smash Bros, I've gotten almost 0 mileage out of the Wii U so I doubt I'll be getting this, but at least the "screen controller" thing actually has a reason to exist this time around. If some interesting titles start coming out I might get one, but we'll wait and see.