Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doom Music Composer Bobby Prince Battling Cancer

Some sad news: Bobby Prince, the original composer of Doom's music along with other memorable soundtracks such as those of Commander Keen and Duke Nukem 3D, is suffering from colon cancer. There's a GoFundMe page that is seeking to raise $10,000 to help cover some of his medical bills.

Just donated. He's a legend, and the segment of him in Romero's ID Software home video ALWAYS brings me personal joy.

Wow, this is indeed sad news. Bobby Prince did lots of great music for many video games, and it will be sad if he dies anytime soon. I'm hoping he'll pull through.

Sucks to hear that. Come on, modern medicine, FFS. Get on the ball, find cures for most types of cancer instead of the chemotherapy bullshit.

Do your goddamn job, scientists!

*he says as he wastes time browsing cat pics on reddit*

This is terrible news. Best of luck Bobby, soon as my pay comes through I'll definitely throw some money his way. His work has provided my ears with much joy over the years.

Happens to peasants too, the only difference is that they have much less chances to gather the money, which sometimes gives me conflicting feelings (do some people really deserve help more than others because they are more popular?) but that's how the world works.

As a kid I found the Icon of Sin music so scary, I had troubles falling asleep the following night. I felt like I could still hear that creepy whistling sound. Many of the songs (e2m7, map02, map18, map25...) are still my favorite midis ever. Overall I feel like Bobby almost had some influence on my character. Wishing him best of luck.

This is horrible news. First Ty, then Andrew Rehberger and now Bobby Prince.
I hope he gets better.

I hope they can SSG the tumor. BFG, if necessary. And I hope the surgeons play midi accordions in the background. I think it's a valid conversation whether the music of e1 is more recognizable to the gaming masses than screenshots of the levels.

Pavera said:

the segment of him in Romero's ID Software home video ALWAYS brings me personal joy.

Same. His almost childlike-innocence and excitement over the game while John is playing it puts a big stupid grin on my face. He seems like a really awesome guy to be around, and of course, nothing needs to be said about his music - it's a huge part of Doom, and simply timeless. Say what you will about him sourcing his midis from real songs, but he always gave them their own character.

Be well, Bobby!

Jesus. I thought this year couldn't get any worse, and I was wrong. :(

Just donated some money. I'm glad to see some familiar names from the list of donators.

I had a friend who got wiped off this planet by liver cancer at the age 42, it is a bastard that can sneak up on you at any time. Hopefully Bobby will be okay.

I loved the footage of him explaining Keen Dreams.. Id were lucky to have someone like that on their team as his music played a massive part in making Doom so memorable. Overall he's a national treasure and a one of a kind human being, anyway, he hasn't lost the fight yet.. lets hope he pulls through!

Sad news, indeed. I'll share the page where I can, and I'll try to donate asap. 2016 really needs to stop sucking so hard.

Aggs said:

2016 really needs to stop sucking so hard.

2003 was a bad enough year for me.

2016 is even worse for my brothers and sisters, and I'm not talking about my relatives, either.