Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vladeK

FirstStrike - First WAD attempt - Update

EDIT2: Tried to improve the map a bit, by doing some rebalancing and adding a few new things. Still haven't managed to fix the software mode sky bug, so sorry. Also, I've tested it mostly on GZDoom, so I don't know about other sourceports.

Greetings everyone !
Sorry if this is a bit messy, but it's my first time posting here.

Anyway, I've played a lot of custom maps, so I decided to try and make my own. This is my first (well first finished) WAD. It still requires a bit of polish, so I'll glady listen to any criticisms you have, so I can improve it and know what mistakes to avoid in future projects.
It's five maps long,of varying lengths, and I've uploaded it with a text file with the story that connects them together.

Slight warning: the first map was designed with freelook in mind, but can still be finished without it even if that is a bit hard, and the second one can be too dark on certain monitors.

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

EDIT: Fixed it so it now works on Zandronum.

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/197vvtssr761jf6/FirstStrikeSE.rar

Downloaded it a few days ago but didn't get the chance to play it till today. It started strong but I didn't really care about the second level and gave up on it pretty fast and skipped to the next one. The last few bits were something like those corridor arenas from Serious Sam, which was enjoyable I guess.

Overall, I'd say 3.14 out of 5. The screenshots don't really do the alert gameplay justice sadly, but you could say that about most doom wads.

I tried to open it in Zandronum but got this error:

Script error, "First.wad:LANGUAGE" line 1635:
Expected '=', got 'ifgame'

That's odd. I used GZDoom to test it, without really taking into consideration other source ports. I'll look into fixing the error once my schedule clears up a bit.

degree23 said:

I tried to open it in Zandronum but got this error:

Script error, "First.wad:LANGUAGE" line 1635:
Expected '=', got 'ifgame'

Fixed it. Let me know if you run into any further trouble.

I'm getting some pretty horrific HOMs on the sky here, which made it very difficult to play. The first map looked quite fun until I exited out, so if this is fixed I'd definitely give it a go.

I had that problem when testing the map on software mode, though I still have yet to find what causes it.
However, changing to OpenGL should do the trick, assuming your device can handle it.
Have you tried other source ports or graphic modes ?

vladeK said:

I had that problem when testing the map on software mode, though I still have yet to find what causes it.
However, changing to OpenGL should do the trick, assuming your device can handle it.
Have you tried other source ports or graphic modes ?

Hey, if that's the case I know how to fix your problem.

Select that linedef and tick "Double Sided". I was having a similar issue with another wad of mine recently and that seemed to do the trick.

Buu342 said:

Hey, if that's the case I know how to fix your problem.

Select that linedef and tick "Double Sided". I was having a similar issue with another wad of mine recently and that seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the help, even though that still didn't seem to fix it. Do I have to double side only one of the surrounding linedefs, or all of them ?

vladeK said:

Thanks for the help, even though that still didn't seem to fix it. Do I have to double side only one of the surrounding linedefs, or all of them ?

I'm having a very similar issue that you are with your HoMs, I believe it may be related to the sky textures in zdoom, however my issue goes away in Gzdoom. did you figure out how to fix t?

Phade102 said:

I'm having a very similar issue that you are with your HoMs, I believe it may be related to the sky textures in zdoom, however my issue goes away in Gzdoom. did you figure out how to fix t?

I think it might be a problem with software mode, since by activating OpenGL on either GZDoom or Zandronum fixes it. I should probably mention that other maps I've tried on software mode don't have this issue.

I finally managed to beat level two without cheating or smashing my keyboard this time, although there's some serious 32X aspect on most of the textures in the other areas.

Had the same issue as the software mode glitch when trying to play it on my android tablet, though.