Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

new megawad: ECHELON

Just finished playing this on UV continuous, there's some good fun to be had here. There are 2 things though that I reckon are worth mentioning:

-I noticed on MAP29 that the midtextures in the windows above the red key doors can be walked through: if a player is using jump and crouch while playing they can bypass the entire red key area. I think there's a Strife function that can fix that, but using a very thin invisible 3D floor is also an option.

-This might be a bit of feedback you've heard already, but MAP30 really does need to have more of a sense of climax to it. A custom boss definitely wouldn't go astray here.

That's about all off the top of my head. Good work man! :)

I've had a lot of fun playing through this recently, continuous and pistol starts. I've only found one issue to mention and that is on map06. There are three health bonuses (sector 50 or 106) that can't be collected, making it impossible to get 100% items.

Larzuk said:

I've had a lot of fun playing through this recently, continuous and pistol starts. I've only found one issue to mention and that is on map06. There are three health bonuses (sector 50 or 106) that can't be collected, making it impossible to get 100% items.

That was one of the only (if not the only) maps I wasn't able to max, because of those bonuses. I assumed it was just a secret I was unable to crack, but are they legit impossible?

Salt-Man Z said:

That was one of the only (if not the only) maps I wasn't able to max, because of those bonuses. I assumed it was just a secret I was unable to crack, but are they legit impossible?

As far as I can tell, yes, they are impossible to get to.

Larzuk said:

I've only found one issue to mention and that is on map06. There are three health bonuses (sector 50 or 106) that can't be collected, making it impossible to get 100% items.

Doh, how sloppy of me. Thanks for telling, I quickly spotted the culprits and have gone ahead and updated to version 1.5.

A new megawad? By Soundblock!? It is rare for me to get excited over a new Doom mod these days, but this has got my attention.

I finished playing this last night -- awesome megawad. I love all the little quirks and (since I'm so big on implied story) was really surprised how much more story-driven the megawad felt with those little intermission texts between every level, especially after you get into Hell. The overall feel reminds me of TVR! and Kama Sutra.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to progress past Map13 - Shortcut.
It says I'd need a blue key, but I just can't find one anywhere.

Also, why is there a Mancubus stuck below that "blood-pillar"? He was making a lot of noise, so i checked it out with noclip.

edit: Yeahh. I'm just dumb. I might have softlocked myself, that the bars to the blue key area couldn't raise anymore

Voltcom9 said:

The new enemies are a nice addition [...] because they nicely fit the Doom enemy roster.

That's quite the compliment, thanks! Took ages to make. The Clusterfiends have been used once before, in my Plasmaplant map, but the Vipers are all new to Echelon.

death112 said:

I can't seem to progress past Map13 - Shortcut.

I take it you found the way to progress, and that the "stuck" mancubus came up to greet you later. :)

Finished playing through this, and while short, it was a blast.

Some feedback: The haunted hood level has things in the trees that count as kills, they shouldn't be flagged that way. Felt like a clever little easter egg, spent ages wondering where the last kills were

The clusterfiend's death pickups are both sorta exploitable if theres an archvile (nice of you to take the time to make the new monsters resurrectable!), and a source of possible bugs, got cheated out of 100/100/100 on lunar escape, when a health bonus dropped under a closing door. Got crushed, but apparantly still counted as an unobtained item, since the map had no items anywhere left to pick up,but one was still listed as existing somewhere. Nothing you can do about this, but I figured it would be worth letting you know it can happen. It would apply to the Midasfiend too. Also, I swear a clusterfiend killed itself with its own projectiles, can this actually happen?

Only map I didnt max out were lunar escape, for the aforementioned bug, and inner palace, since the megasphere was the only thing I couldn't obtain legitimately. Sure, you can jump to it, but jumping isnt the intended playstyle. Found no bugs at all, unless you count automap lines not appearing where they should, and appearing where they shouldnt (I get OCD about this, so dont take this seriously) Would like some custom sounds for the Viper, got confused several times when hat thing was around. Interesting monster though, love taking out several at once with a chain reaction

The Elder reminded me very much of Bloodsea Keep, almost like a modern remake, minus the assassination of a specific archvile, and the mention of a "cyberdemon cabal" in the intermission text before it made me giggle, I see what you did there.

Overall, very fun mapset, and it kicked my ass many times once the action heated up. Recommended it to a lot of people :)

An aesthetic masterpiece Great use of simple, often plain textures and humble architecture. The pale red version of TEKGR* is my favorite, as you use it to express excess heat.

It's amazing how do you convey something vivid, full and alive with so simple approaches - while you could provide unique ideas, mostly in the city maps.

Not even talking about the happiness I felt when I saw KATA and MORI among the graffitis.

On top of all these, I'm just shocked that after 9 damn years of my first experience in Eternal Doom (that heavily influenced me, and also made me remember your name) I could play something braw new from you.

Thanks for still being active!

Ragnor said:

Also, I swear a clusterfiend killed itself with its own projectiles, can this actually happen?

[...]

the megasphere was the only thing I couldn't obtain legitimately. Sure, you can jump to it, but jumping isnt the intended playstyle.

Clusterfiends should be immune to their own attack. Also (as the text file states), jumping and ducking is allowed, so you should feel free to grab that megasphere that way.

Those levels look great, downloading it right now!

I really had to laugh when I saw the screenshot of the Worms with flamethrowers - because I call myself Chainworm for ages now and I've got a "background" with flamethrowers (back in the days, it was my speciality to light my teammates with flamethrowers by accident when playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein online, this became some kind of running gag in some forums I was active)