Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massivefanofdoom

Playing the campaign again

Falling in love as if it was all the way back in May again. On nightmare mode, Was a bit rusty at first but quickly got into the groove again. Taking it slowly and enjoying it while retracing my steps to find all the secrets and pickups I may have missed or left out, I am now midway through foundry.

I had no option really seeing as id have not, to my knowledge, fixed the bug that reversed NM save games to HMP difficulty. But yet, I get to enjoy the campaign again and revisit the goosebumps - oh man, what a game this is.

Best first person shooter ever, dare I say even more than the originals. Anyone else agree?

I feel you. But not better than the originals if we were to compare all the current benefits and long term replay value. Yes original Doom does have a massive time and tech advantage but it counts.

In saying that, if I was offered an additional Doom 2016 campaign from ID or an equally long classic Doom Campaign by the original crew I would choose 2016. Hmm, almost worthy of its own thread.

Definitely not agreeing with "better than the originals", but currently, I'm firmly stuck in "I love Doom 2016" mode, which means that I consider it the best singleplayer FPS in quite a long time and possibly the best Id Software shooter since Doom 2 (was never much of a fan of Doom 64 and never really content with the later Id games).

Loving how metal it is, how angry it is and how you feel like a true Terror of Demons everywhere.

D16's campaign has elements that are superior to the originals. Shooting and movement feels far better, mechanically speaking. The immersion factor is generally higher, obviously, because of how detailed the visuals are. But it's a touch too linear at times, there's not enough horror, and the Hell maps are a bit conventional. So it's very give and take. And clearly SnapMap, for all its updates, is still in many ways less flexible than mapping for OG Doom. I think overall it's probably the best campaign experience of the series, save for Doom 64.

The reason I consider classic Doom superior (and this is just the singleplayer part) is that back in the day, I was playing it nonstop, never taking a single break. It was the only game to play once I got it.

I've already had to grab one break from Doom 2016 and even when I do play Doom 2016, I do play a few other games alongside it.

It also didn't "blow me away" when I first sat down to play Doom 2016 - I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't get my full "this is the best thing ever" vibe going until I got a couple levels into the game.

1993 Doom almost made me go into shock when I saw it run on the PC in front of me - I remember just staring at it in awe for half a minute before I realized I was playing it.

Sure, the old Doom has aged, but the impression and the memory it left on me will probably never be trumped, especially considering how widespread FPS' are today.

dsm said:

1993 Doom almost made me go into shock when I saw it run on the PC in front of me - I remember just staring at it in awe for half a minute before I realized I was playing it.

Haha that is awesome m8!!! *sigh* nostalgia .... i felt what you described here with quake1 and diablo1, fwiw

I just finished recording my Hurt Me Plenty playthrough, will be uploading it one mission at a time. Spider Mastermind was pretty easy with my loadout, and it was an awesome ride. Will take a break before I start my Nightmare playthrough.