Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2016 (v2 is on /idgames)

^ I love that idea and will do so even if it isn't enforced. I'll (hopefully) have something ready soon; I'm not missing the opportunity three times in a row : )

rdwpa said:

What format is it for? Those look like 3d floors so ZDoom I guess.

It's Doom 2 UDMF format. I went kinda crazy with the effects so I think GZDoom works better (sorry, I'm very new to this stuff)

Decided to play it even though I don't normally play ZDoom maps.

In my first playthrough I died early on due to drowning (lol) because I forgot to bind my usual jump key in this version of GZDoom (2.2) and thought you had disabled it in MAPINFO.

The effects really are great. Many ZDoom maps in 2015's DMP came off as maps that could have been made in Boom, but this uses the features really extensively. The sound effect of being underwater and the bobbing of the docks were really cool. I lol'd at things like the sliding imps and the stimpak that suddenly dropped out of the waterfall. All in all I'm really glad I played this map.

Things of note:

Secrets. The early blue armor secret is incredibly easy to find accidentally through routine combat with the monsters in front of the wall that trigger it; the bullets hit the wall and the secret is released, voila. When I first found the 15 armor secret, I had to look at the console before I was sure what I picked up, because entering the false wall basically gives you *this* much space to see what is inside before you pick it up. Also 15 armor is kind of an underwhelming secret there. The area where the imps are standing would be a cool secret location imo, because you have to jump to get up there.

There appears to be a HOM in the 3D floor on the dock adjacent to the starting boat. That was the only visual error I noticed.

Gameplay is really sedate throughout, which isn't a problem at all, but then the soulsphere later on led to me expect something at least mildly harsh, and that never came. With that free soulsphere, I'd appreciate the final area being somewhat more intimidating, if just to send the action out on a high note.

In my first playthrough I got lost as hell. I saw it on the automap but it took me a while to realize I had to go underwater to get to the exit, what with the first death instructing me that being underwater for length = bad. Before that I went looking all around for a red key to get into that house thinking it was part of the mandatory progression and it took me a while to find it, since it's not entirely obvious up on those boxes. None of that is bad in itself, but I'm just mentioning it in case you thought these aspects would be more obvious.

Here is a follow-up casual playthrough, needs GZDoom 2.2.0. Missed two monsters, not sure what, since things spawn in on this map.

Still work in progress for this project:

It runs with boom compatibility, and uses a MIDI version of Skeleton's Waltz as a background music. I hope I finish this one before the deadline.

Sons of Liberty

I picked out this midi as inspiration and set about speedmapping a layout, then got quite carried away. This is the result. The best description i can give is a sandboxy slaughter arena with some set pieces scattered through it. This is my Doom homage to Metal Gear Solid 2 i guess - and yes, i do see the irony in a slaughter map paying tribute to a stealth game. There's a couple of easter eggs in there and the final fight is my way of recreating the RAY fight from MGS2.

Have fun! FDAs very very welcome :)

Build time: 2-3 weeks
Compatibility: Boom
Music: Yell "Dead Cell" Theme (Metal Gear Solid 2)
Graphics: cc4falls.wad and a custom sky (included in wad)
Difficulty settings: implemented, easy mode is very forgiving.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htx5dlbk1wtha4g/sonsofliberty.wad?dl=1

Screens:

antares031 said:

It runs with boom compatibility, and uses a MIDI version of Skeleton's Waltz as a background music. I hope I finish this one before the deadline.

! :D
My interest is piqued, looking forward to playing this!

antares031 said:

Still work in progress for this project:

Awesome pic, great size. Looking huge and complex there man.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/laq4c4h69mtpj9l/DEMFACES.wad

Would this small wad be of any use to anyone here? I know that custom flats and all aren't allowed but, these are just the missing (I guess) marble demon faces flats: The "archvile" one and the baron one.

If not, well, it doesn't matter heh.

My map is coming along nicely, should be done for the deadline no doubts.

I guess you can also take a look at a rather outdated vid (added quite some stuff since that) to give you an idea of how it will play.

As I said, this map isn't going to be anything grand. I really needed to take a small breather after "travelling to the moon" to be honest. Oh yeah, it will be for boom, cl9.

Given the lax quality control on this, I think I'll join!
My map's gonna be in ZDoom format, I know that already. And I've played enough terrible maps (read: Mock2, WOOO, and that map I reviewed in /newstuff) that I know what to avoid in design.

scotty said:

Sons of Liberty

I picked out this midi as inspiration and set about speedmapping a layout, then got quite carried away. This is the result. The best description i can give is a sandboxy slaughter arena with some set pieces scattered through it. This is my Doom homage to Metal Gear Solid 2 i guess - and yes, i do see the irony in a slaughter map paying tribute to a stealth game. There's a couple of easter eggs in there and the final fight is my way of recreating the RAY fight from MGS2.

Have fun! FDAs very very welcome :)

Build time: 2-3 weeks
Compatibility: Boom
Music: Yell "Dead Cell" Theme (Metal Gear Solid 2)
Graphics: cc4falls.wad and a custom sky (included in wad)
Difficulty settings: implemented, easy mode is very forgiving.

The start scenario (which basically refers to everything in the map pre plasma rifle) was pretty engaging on first playthrough -- I didn't spot the SSG and RL for a while, so I was mostly digging myself into and trying to get out of holes -- but the replay value isn't really so high. It's basically: get SSG, grind all the mancs out, grind all the barons out, get RL, clear all the turrets out, release and kill cyberdemon (not really so engaging, that); and all the while you have the not-really-secret megasphere to recharge if needed, so this part is more like going through the motions.

I think the beginning is mostly too turret and meat-driven, at least if the player isn't given the SSG/RL right away. It's mostly in the old school "zone of influence" type of slaughter setup where monsters plced in homogeneous blocks, often fixed on turrets or ledges or pits, are used to control territory, but for the most part it's only the archvile that is a serious threat over space, and a lot of the other monsters come across as things you have to kill to progress, exerting only minimal pressure when you aren't adjacent to them or something. That wouldn't really be so bad here, however, if there weren't so many mancs to clear out at the start.

More interesting setup imo:

(1) Replace maybe half the mancs with two pinkies a piece (berserk being there already is perfect).

(2) Put the baron RL somewhere freely accessible on the ground, maybe tie it to a trap of some sort, perhaps a cluster of revenants or something. Put another goodie where the barons are, maybe a couple of the bulk cells scattered throughout the map, or something.

The next two keys (RK and BK I believe) are fine, although somewhat tame, not necessarily a bad thing though. The YK seems to be more dangerous than the other two, although I never played it straight up -- the trigger line is right on the edge of the dropoff, so at first I released all the monsters accidentally, and then later I cheesed it.

My first death (and then a few more deaths) was at the last fight, which happens to be quite buggy: you can get sent into the telefragging sequence without picking up the invul, which is quite a crapshoot. Also on a subsequent try I was knocked off the structure entirely into the sky below -- a cyber rocket or something linedef skipped me. Could use some impassable lines around the whole thing.

I also think the fight is by such a far margin the most lethal thing in the level that it doesn't really fit, and it's also the reason the player shouldn't take the invul at the start of the map until they get to this point (and even with the invul the fight is not a gimmie). I would probably reconceive it entirely -- maybe something like mancs on the hexagons instead of cybers, and then two instapop cybers in the middle with a bunch of revs warping in for some chaos.

Fixed a Bug in my Map which Voltcom9 mentioned before... for some reason it just happened when you played the Map with gzdoom. weird. Link didnt change :)

Last time, I started to develop GZDoom map for the project. Unfortunately I am experiencing some shortage of ideas and work is moving slowly. Work is ready to just 25% of what is intended. I'am afraid I will not have time to deadline. :(

Few screens:

Maybe I'll cut unfinished sections and finish very little map ...

Here's my map!
Name: Public Port
Compatibility: ZDoom (Uses MAPINFO and particle fountains)
Description: A somewhat linear techbase type map. Has some nice detailing, but nothing TOO special.
Music: Unknown from M.E.; from Sonic Adventure. (Some other midis are in the wad. Feel free to change which one plays. In no particular order, they are: Wheel Gator from Mega Man X2, Supporting Me from Sonic Adventure 2, Break Out from Mega Man Zero 3, and Mechanical Resonance... for Final Egg from Sonic Adventure.)
Build Time: Two weeks, a week of inactivity, and today. Fifteen days of actual work.
Graphics: Base game.
Difficulty Settings: Implemented to a degree. A horde of zombiemen only appears in full force on Ultra-Violence.

Feedback is appreciated!

cannonball said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/egu6ui8mte3z3ad/dmp2016cb.wad

Here we are, my entry for this year.
The map is called "Teenage mutant ninja demons"
limit removing, no difficulties so far as I will wait to edit the UV gameplay before doing that.

Cool map. Recorded a demo.

Not a fan of the GA-less start, but at least it's accessible quickly. I liked how the secrets allowed you to camp/cheese the first major encounter down below.

The RK fight is really (x5 reallys) hard without the BFG. It's still the most lethal fight in the map even with the BFG + a good amount of health/armor, which is saying something. It's not just the first part, it's also that you have to do everything quickly because you only get one radsuit there. Maybe fewer monsters + a second radsuit would help a lot. Also accidentally picking up a radsuit early = death, so maybe that is better placed against a wall or something. But yeah, tense stuff, so I liked it.

I liked the last fight too. It's possible to camp the exit area against the barons due to the blocking lines (might be better to use a "temporary blocking line" -- i.e. untextured and very narrow chasm that raises when the player crosses a line nearby) but I guess it's possible to just exit if you get over there anyway, so probably not a big deal.

rdwpa said:

stuff

Thanks for the feedback, first time i've tried making a slaughtermap... i have redone the initial stages and made the action more gradual with more enemies arriving on the ground, while simultaneously trying to minimise the grindiness. I did like the intensity of the original final 'boss' fight personally but i have found a better setup while still keeping it as the MGS2 RAY tribute fight.

Map update:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owi9s6dinla1ug0/sonsofliberty.wad?dl=1

scifista42 said:

Doubly so if you didn't use TEXTURES...

I don't use it. My map based only stock resources.
May I use ACS scripts in my map? What about using ANIMDEFS for CamTextures?
The rules did not mention it.

scotty said:

RL should be more visible; I SSG'd all 18 mancs because I didn't see it. The new AV wastes time -- it exists to be sniped away early with the SG/CG. With the location of the RL switch, his buddy now isn't so fun either. Basically anything that puts a roadblock to setting everything in the first area (prior to the cacos) loose at once isn't a good idea, because the encounters aren't so exciting taken one-by-one. Caco encounter should probably just be nixed in favor of a single vile or something in the room; it's a harmless timesink. The newly mobile vile trio resurrected about half the map while I was up where the plasma rifle used to be and ammo wasn't looking so good, so I reset there. Probably not such a good idea to release them without any indication.

cannonball said:

Teenage mutant ninja demons

Wow, that's a big shift in difficulty when you fall and get ambushed by cacos, spiders, demons and a cyber... It's like you suddenly appear in a different map. A bit too evil? I liked what I've seen before that, fun to run around with active monsters everywhere.

StormCatcher.77 said:

May I use ACS scripts in my map? What about using ANIMDEFS for CamTextures?
The rules did not mention it.

If it doesn't replace stock content, doesn't require new sprites/sounds/textures, and won't affect anyone else's map then go for it.

TimeOfDeath said:

doesn't require new [...] textures

Camera textures don't require custom graphics, but they require being defined the same way as custom textures are: As uniquely-named entries in TEXTURE1, TEXTURES or between TX markers. So, does that qualify as requiring new textures?