Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Thunder

So, how do I get the thunder sound to work? Is there a script I have to type up or an ambient sound I have to put in the area affected by the lightning? If so, what's the sound's number?

MAP01 with lightning but no thunder sucks. :P

Try downloading my example that shows the Zdoom thunder effect.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/redsky.zip

Just load the WAD. It contains no levels, but modifies the sky on map01 to a red sky. At random intervals (generated by Zdoom) any sector with a ceiling of F_SKY1 will flash brighter, the sky texture will change to one with lightning strikes drawn on it and a thunder sound will play.

DooMBoy said:

So, how do I get the thunder sound to work? Is there a script I have to type up or an ambient sound I have to put in the area affected by the lightning? If so, what's the sound's number?

If you have the thunder sample in your wad, you will need a SNDINFO lump. Make a text file and put in the following:

SOUND_01 thunder (or whatever the name of the sound is in your wad)

$AMBIENT 1 SOUND_01 POINT RANDOM 30.0 60.0 1.0

(This makes the sound play every 30-60 seconds, and the volume plays at full, but decreases the further you get away from the sound thing. See http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/sndinfo.html for more details)

Once you have this, you will need to place an 'ambient sound 01' thing on the map. (if you're using WA, it's easy to find the sound things on the 'new thing' menu)

btw, I don't know if you know about SNDINFO or not, so that's why I've mentioned it. If you already have a SNDINFO lump, then there could be something wrong with it, or it might just be a case of putting the sound thing in.

Ultimate DooMer, what you say is perfectly correct. You can set up an ambient sound thing to play a thunder sound, but Zdoom has internal support for a thunder sound and further effects. The example I linked to shows those effects working.

The effects are:

The thunder sound gets played at random.

When this happens, all outside areas flash brighter.

The sky briefly uses a second image with lightning drawn on it.

Of course, it is possible to set up some very effective thunder via scripting too. I don't think you can easily change the sky. No, forget that, you can with a skybox. Anyway, the advantage of doing it via scripting is that you can change the "weather" during a level. I did something similar, if a bit primitive on level 32 of my NJZdoom2001 map set.

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/DL/njzd2001.zip