Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JavaGuy

firstTime( )

I want to make my first Doom level ever using DeepSea. However, my first room is supposed to be shaped like a pentagon with a flat botton, to straight up sides, and two lines that come to a point at the top. I made sure they were all part of the same sector and all had one side. However, when I start the game, there's the hall of mirros effect. It's so bad, the title screen doesn't go away, so you don't even get to glimpse at the walls. How does this new fangled thing work?

Uh, sounds like no textures were assigned to the linedefs making up the pentagon. Press 'L' in deepsea to enter linedef mode, and hover your mouse over some lines. If the status windows aren't open in deepsea, you can hit 'I' to toggle them on or off. It's in these windows where you assign textures. You can also right-click lindefs in line mode to change their arrtibutes/textures. Make sure your sector is tall enough too, tho deepsea should defaulth with 0 floor and 128 ceiling.

it's a cool editor imo

Also, run the DeePsea error checker on your level. It will pick up things like missing textures for you. Although, DeePsea is normally very good at allocating default textures to walls during the normal building/editing process.

There are a few mistakes you could have made that will give this effect and DeePsea will pick up most of them. When you save, make sure you build the nodes too. Again, this is something DeePsea should prompt you to do automatically if you have done anything that requires node building.

It could even be a simple mistake like having your player 1 start outside any sectors.

Well, I've made simple squarish filled with lots of monster type of levels so I kinda know what things do. But it says my sector isn't closed, but the lines are all connected, closed up, and they've got their default stuff, including the marble texture.

i am not familuar with the workings of deepsea but in wadauthor if it finds an error it has a veiw feature. see if deepsea does, this will show you where your sector is not closed and then is easy to fix. if you can't find it e-mail me the wad and i'll fix it up real quick for you :)

cyrez@prodigy.net

JavaGuy said:

Well, I've made simple squarish filled with lots of monster type of levels so I kinda know what things do. But it says my sector isn't closed, but the lines are all connected, closed up, and they've got their default stuff, including the marble texture.

It could be that the linedefs don't refer to the correct sector, as this causes a sector not to be closed. Also, if the back sidedefs of the 1-sided lines refer to a sector rather than void space, this can cause it.

I got the room to work, thanks to DoomBoy. Actually, I've created the layout to my level now, and even learned how to create stairs. But I need to learn how to use tags. So I've got a new question. What to the things in front of the tag descriptions: W, S, etc.

Those refer to the operation used to activate the linedef. w = walk, s = switch, so on.

so a S1 mean this switch can be used once, and a SR means the switch can be used repeatedly. Same for W1 and WR. see? Deepsea has a really good help menu for these things

Thanks. I knew I thought I knew what the S, W, and G stood for, but I wasn't sure what the numbers and letters after them meant. Thanks for your help.