Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

This is actually something that's a problem in basically every FPS ever: Unexpectedly backing into a wall or an object (such as a barrel) and not realizing it, which can sometimes cost you your life. I imagine that in the near future, when it becomes possible for your entire body to respond to haptic feedback, you'll feel a slight push against your back when this happens. I think this would greatly improve immersion and navigation.

GoatLord said:

This is actually something that's a problem in basically every FPS ever: Unexpectedly backing into a wall or an object (such as a barrel) and not realizing it, which can sometimes cost you your life. I imagine that in the near future, when it becomes possible for your entire body to respond to haptic feedback, you'll feel a slight push against your back when this happens. I think this would greatly improve immersion and navigation.

Even bigger problem is falling off ledges. I do this shit in Doom all the time, and it can be a big problem. My own fault, though.

Ultra-slow unmarked floor popup traps where it's exceptionally likely that you'll trigger them and your natural forward motion will get you infinitely height blocked by the monsters before you are even aware they exist. O_o

^ Those are the exact reason why I started liking instant monster pop-ups despite initially not being a fan of them. Instant pop-ups look unnatural, but are practical.

rdwpa said:

Ultra-slow unmarked floor popup traps where it's exceptionally likely that you'll trigger them and your natural forward motion will get you infinitely height blocked by the monsters before you are even aware they exist. O_o

This same problem sometimes allows you to evade (or mess with) cage fight traps, by either barely avoiding or getting caught in dropping/raising bars/blocks/doors etc.

It's easier to escape slowly raising than lowering stuff BTW

rdwpa said:

infinitely height blocked

Weaksauce source port user, tsk tsk. :D

scifista42 said:

^ Those are the exact reason why I started liking instant monster pop-ups despite initially not being a fan of them. Instant pop-ups look unnatural, but are practical.

If only map29 used this instead of the slow rising platform. Sure, that cyberdemon would still be easily avoided once you knew what would happen, but on the first time you play the map and see that cyberdemon suddenly appear out of nowhere without the teleport effect would make you panic and probably back off the stairs and into the liquid below.

Of course, id likely didn't know that effect even existed when they made the map, but still...

Traps where an arch-vile spawns and can immediately see and attack you. I usually can react quick enough and hide but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like "ugh, it doesn't get cheaper than this". Happens somewhat often in Eternal's wads for example (I was playing Map03 of Liberty right now).

GoatLord said:

Yeah that's an interesting observation. I always have that problem with more modern games that have furniture and other clutter laying around like trash cans, tables, crates and cars and stuff. I wonder how that can be mitigated? I like the way Doomguy in Doom2016 can vault over stuff and grapple on ledges and things. Games really shouldn't make anything besides completely upward facing walls stop the player (and even those should maybe have some sort of elastic collision if you're not facing them) and any clutter on the ground should maybe simply slow you down for time it takes to vault over it. Straight denial of momentum is lame though.

rdwpa said:

Just played a map with friction that slows you down to ~10% of your full speed. That.

Yeah boom mapsets with "slow water" fucking blow. That's something I definitely cant make a positive excuse for.

Very long lifts which take about a 10 seconds to lower to the bottom, with the 3 second wait, followed by 10 seconds of waiting to go back to the top.

Arch-viles in Doom 2 they are such a frustrating enemy to deal with and are the largest cause of my deaths in Doom 2 plus traps involving them are the worst.

Memfis said:

When you find a secret and it's a chainsaw.

When you find a secret and it's 4 armour bonuses.
*cough* nuclear *cough* plant *cough*

bzzrak said:

When you find a secret and it's 4 armour bonuses.
*cough* nuclear *cough* plant *cough*

when a secret has to be found in order to progress the level
*cough* mt.erebus *cough*

roadworx said:

when a secret has to be found in order to progress the level
*cough* mt.erebus *cough*

When a secret has absolutely nothing in it.
*cough* habitat *cough*

joe-ilya said:

When a secret has absolutely nothing in it.
*cough* habitat *cough*

When a secret traps you with 4 Barons.

*cough* hell *cough* beneath *cough*

When you're forced to meet a Revenant right in front of you with very little space to initiate evasive actions
*cough* The Plutonia Experiment map01 *cough*

40oz said:

Yeah that's an interesting observation. I always have that problem with more modern games that have furniture and other clutter laying around like trash cans, tables, crates and cars and stuff. I wonder how that can be mitigated? I like the way Doomguy in Doom2016 can vault over stuff and grapple on ledges and things. Games really shouldn't make anything besides completely upward facing walls stop the player (and even those should maybe have some sort of elastic collision if you're not facing them) and any clutter on the ground should maybe simply slow you down for time it takes to vault over it. Straight denial of momentum is lame though.

I think it would be nice if physics simulations got better and the character simply knocked these things over, and you would hear very distinct sounds when you bumped into them. Some of these things will probably be too heavy to knock down, or you're not supposed to because it's important scenery, but I dunno.

Plenty of games already do make things like trash cans and chairs and tables climbable or knockable-over, because game devs love showing off their shiny new physics modelling.

There is, of course, the computational tradeoff: the more of the level you can do that to, the worse your framerate gets.

GoatLord said:

I think it would be nice if physics simulations got better and the character simply knocked these things over, and you would hear very distinct sounds when you bumped into them. Some of these things will probably be too heavy to knock down, or you're not supposed to because it's important scenery, but I dunno.

It's not that hard for programmers to implement some code that plays a sound everytime the player collides with an in game object.

And let's not forget that usually these furniture and stuff are usually part of the game world, not seperate entities. This is done so that performance is good.

Edit: ninja'd I guess.

rdwpa said:

When a secret is full of dust and other respiratory irritants.

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Hahaha... I get it.

When I swagger into a vanilla Doom 2 level like I own this shit, trip a trap and end up jawbone-against-floor. I guess that's my own fault.

When the mouse precision is crap while demo recording without the -longtics command. Bouncing off walls in GLBoom+.

Being able to pick Soulspheres and Megaspheres even if you have 200% health/armor.
Forced weapon change due to picking one up, forcing you to factor weapon pickup avoidance into your DM strategy.

ZDaemon has recently fixed these, as there are new flags that prevent them from happening, should the server admin choose so.

Maes said:

Forced weapon change due to picking one up, forcing you to factor weapon pickup avoidance into your DM strategy.

ZDaemon has recently fixed these, as there are new flags that prevent them from happening, should the server admin choose so.

In ZDoom, this option is part of the player setup, so that (presumably) every player can set his own preferred behavior for himself only. Not sure why ZDaemon doesn't have that option.

scifista42 said:

In ZDoom, this option is part of the player setup, so that (presumably) every player can set his own preferred behavior for himself only. Not sure why ZDaemon doesn't have that option.

I guess because of fairness/sportsmanship and common rules in a multiplayer environment. Sure, when player single player off-line you can go wild with fully disabled autoaim, jumping, turbo boost and crouching, but on-line it's a different story.

Either everybody has the same exact "advanced" settings, or everybody is bound to plain old vanilla rules. Pitting players with so blatantly asymmetrically handicaps or aids against each other should never be allowed, unless it's part of an agreement.