Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

my bad, i only had time to test it in zdoom, will fix it immediatly.

EDIT: It wasn't the only error apparently, i should really stop using zdoom for quick testing, it is far too lenient on this sort of things.

LINK UPDATED

Snakecharmer said:

Yes, this would be a noble endeavor. It might succumb to the hands of deletion mob but it's Worth a shot. If only English was my first language, perhaps a future project. Hopefully someone beats me to it :)

I don't understand what you guys are talking about "building the Wikipedia page".

Snakecharmer said:

Sorry I was a bit sleep depraved when I wrote that, Blasphemer was mentioned on the Heretic Wikipedia page. Sadly, not anymore.

Ahh, I see. Looking at the history, I can understand why it was removed. It was an out of the blue mention, and felt like an advertisement :/ and linking to the Doomworld thread is just... Strange. You should've have done it to the GitHub page (not DoomWiki).

Blasphemer is still too young to get it's own page. It's DoomWiki page is sufficient for now, BUT Blasphemer should get a mention of some sort. IMO.

Let me have a go.

Cacowad, thanks for all your work keeping this project going.

I created a pull request on Blasphemer's Github page, I changed endtext.lmp so that it shows the address to Github instead of Google Code.

Voros said:

I don't understand what you guys are talking about "building the Wikipedia page".

S/he should speak for her/himself but perhaps it's an euphemism for "writing"? :)

Nice catch, merged.

Edit: it just have come to my attention that we are reaching the "0.5 - sp demo" milestone quite rapidly! Of course most sprites are placeholder, but we are a lot closer now!

Err, Caco. Mind adjusting the offsets of the powered up "staff"? It seems a bit jarring for it to not be centered when you strike.

Sorry for double posting, but: New Experimental build is UP

What's new?

-Adjusted "powered staff" animations (*)
-Several maps where added\shuffled, below you'll find the full list and changelog:

Maps and authors:

E1M1 - Death of the Blasphemer, by Angry Saint
E1M2 - Grim awakening, by Cacowad
E1M3 - Town of Aquafort, by SFoZ911
E1M4 - The Sewers, by Steve Parker
E1M5 - ???, by Snarboo
E1M6 - Khazad-dum, by Philippe lesire
E1M7 - Lucifer's Spell, by Paul Corfiatis
E1M8 - Bravado, by Brad Kiefer
E1m9 - PLACEHOLDER
E2M1 - ???, by Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd
E2M2 - Torture, by Chris Lutz
E2M3 - Evil Ruins, by Samian and Cacowad
E2M4 - ???, by Ryathaen
E2M5 - Breeze, by Brad Kiefer
E2M6 - Brave, by Brad Kiefer
E2M7 - Fiery domus, Cacowad
E2m8 - Obsidian fort, Cacowad
E2m9 - PLACEHOLDER

The following maps were modified:

E1M2 - Grim awakening, by Cacowad => modified starting area
E1M3 - Town of Aquafort, by SFoZ911 => sound sequences were removed
E1M4 - The Sewers, by Steve Parker => minor textures touch-up(*), iron liches removed, maulotaurus removed, need some more retexturing(*)
E1M5 - ???, by Snarboo => iron lich removed
E1M6 - Khazad-dum, by Philippe lesire => additional textures were removed
E1M7 - Lucifer's Spell, by Paul Corfiatis => sound sequences were removed, green key\blue key areas rebalanced(*)
E1M8 - Bravado, by Brad Kiefer => d'sparil replaced with iron liches, good candidate for this slot (*)
E2M2 - Torture, by Chris Lutz => added missing crossbow
E2M3 - Evil Ruins, by Samian and Cacowad => newly added
E2M5 - Breeze, by Brad Kiefer => removed maulotaurus
E2M6 - Brave, by Brad Kiefer => maulotaurus replaced with warrion ghosts\iron liches, some layout changes(*), progression clarity improved(*)
E2M7 - Fiery domus, Cacowad => maulotaurus replaced with iron liches
E2m8 - Obsidian fort, Cacowad => New map! now limit removing!

(*) = may need further work.

---Additional notes:

-Right now there isn't a way to access the "secret" levels, so both episodes are playable "as is", uninterrupted from M1 to M8. This will change as new maps comes in.

-I was unable to find a credit list for the older Freedoom's build, that is, i don't know who made what (only exception: Espi for the Weredragon's fireball), so if you do please let me know so i can add them to the credit list.

Known problems: upon running around in heretic+ i got an error on e1m6 "W_GetNumForName: bstatk not found". Unfortunately this mean that Heretic cannot read some .wav sounds, also Slade cannot convert them to doom format since they are Stereo... @Jute: there's something you can do about it?
Please note that every level containing a Weredragon will spit out this error message and crash the game when using Heretic+, please use anther port of choice until we fix it.

So, this is it, please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Sorry, I forgot the sounds had to be mono! I'll try to take care of the problem this weekend - it probably affects all my recent submissions.

Great, there's a lot of content now. I'll have to try the new build out. Most of the stuff is missing from the Github repo, could someone please tell me a bit about the reasoning behind that? Are there any plans of making the repo and builds to be more in sync?

Cacowad said:

-I was unable to find a credit list for the older Freedoom's build, that is, i don't know who made what (only exception: Espi for the Weredragon's fireball), so if you do please let me know so i can add them to the credit list.

If you can identify exactly which build/release you used, I can probably help with this.

@Jute: Great, waiting for it.

@Snakecharmer: Well, it was easier for me to manage, Slade3 is faster (and easier) when it comes to do several small changes and quickly testing them out. I'm planning to merge the build with the main trunk once we reach the "Death match ready" milestone.

@Jon: nice, thank you.

From the 0.6: troo*, head*, skel*

From the 0.2.7: sarg*, bexp*

That should be it.

TROO and HEAD definitely Nightfang's work. They're the 3D model ones, one green serpent and one jellyfish thing, right?
I'm betting that SARG one is Scuba Steve's blob monster.

Voros said:

TROO and HEAD definitely Nightfang's work. They're the 3D model ones, one green serpent and one jellyfish thing, right?
I'm betting that SARG one is Scuba Steve's blob monster.

yep Nightfang for TROO and HEAD:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/8b40c8fde37b6ea0ca2c7083114121f3b53b6a75/sprites/nightfang/trooa1.gif

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/8b40c8fde37b6ea0ca2c7083114121f3b53b6a75/sprites/nightfang/heada1.gif

SKEL leileilol:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/8b40c8fde37b6ea0ca2c7083114121f3b53b6a75/sprites/cheapalert/skela6d4.gif

0.2.7 will take a little bit more archaeology... this SARG in 0.6 was fredrik:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/8b40c8fde37b6ea0ca2c7083114121f3b53b6a75/sprites/fredrik/sarga1.gif

EDIT: if you downloaded freedoom-iwad-0.2.7z that's version 0.2, the 7 is part of the 7zip file extension. Looking at 0.2, Yup that SARG is Scuba Steve's work - it's a reworked/recoloured Slimer from Ghostbusters Doom I think.

:D I didn't even look at the sprites and still got it right!

What about BEXP? I forgot what that is.

Thank you, right now i'm trying to solve a couple of problems when running the iwad on heretic+ (namely "bad v_drawpatch" error when using an item). I've got a couple of clues while navigating the forums, so once i'm done i'll update the build.

EDIT: Link updated

-added missing bstatk using the standard placeholder sound.
-re_added Jute's sounds.
-shuffled around various lumps to closely resemble heretic's order.
-converted to doom format some pngs i forgot to convert (woops).

That's it for today.

Edit2: i forgot to mention it, but for some reason the "powered up staff" animations are broken in heretic+ and i could not find a way to fix it. If you have any solutions please let me know.

Is the GitHub repo updated with each change? Judging from the list of commits, it doesn't seem like it.

What's the point of a version control system if it isn't used?

If you don't want it in the mainline you can just as well put it into a branch, and if all else fails, clone it and put it there.

It is a matter of time, i don't have much to spend. Github need quite a bit to properly set up and make sure everything work \ get compiled correctly; so i use tools that get the job done faster, even if they are prone to errors.

So that is it, really, i just need more time.

I always thought that a versioning system is suposed to save time and for me that always worked out...

I suppose managing the behemoth that is the (g)zdoom source code is a bit different than managing a couple of submissions every month. Don't get me wrong, i know that on the long run a versioning system is far superior to what i'm doing currently, i just can't afford to invest my time in this upfront work at the moment: i will, but only once i get the opportunity to do so.

I'll cross that bridge when i come to it, i have already installed git on my computer and made a local copy of the repository... I need to learn how the branches works, convert everything that need to be converted in .gif and finally run the whole thing using deutex. Hopefully by the end of february i should have some spare time to do everything that is needed.

It doesn't have to be GIF format. BMP is also supported. Unless you're looking to save some bandwidth, then I suppose GIF is the way to go

All right, i'm back. Most of the stuff in the experimental build should be in the newly created branch under the name "experimental". Now, i have a question before i mess up everything: how does the palette work here? Or better expressed: i would like to include Da Werecat new palette, playpal, colormap and tinttab, since the old ones were broken, BUT i don't understand how it work inside the repository: does deutex generate some of them? why some are in .LMP form? should the palette be in the empty heretic.wad (as i see there is a palette duplicate in there)? What is that blasphemer_palette_v2.GPL file i see in the main folder? There is a lot of stuff laying around that i don't understand and would like to know or not touch them if possible.