Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

Oh no worries man! :)
And taking time, well there's really no way around that one heh.
This is indeed going to take a little time.

Oh btw to whoever's listening, kudos to CodeImp and Mxd for GZDBUDMF!
And all that have been a part of that, you guys Rock! :)

Cheers

Ok, here's the latest brightmap pk3 of the D3Retro texture pack.

D3Retro_v3.5_test_bright.pk3

All the brightmaps are pretty much done now in this version 3.5.
Now it's just a matter of scaling all the normal textures in D3Retro.

To check it out, either double click the pk3 and load it up in Zandronum,
or drag 'n drop on QZdoom or GZdoom.
The test map replaces MAP01 of doom2, which loads automatically.

Warning: there's a lot of hi-res textures here, Zandronum may not load them as quickly as GZdoom or QZdoom.
You might be better off testing with one of those two.
Otherwise you may at first get some framerate slow down.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

@hidfan,

I plan to do the over 8 character texture name conversion like this:

DRSTFRM2T = 8STFRM2T
FLGRCV1DA = 8GRCV1DA
FLSTE4SLB = 8STE4SLB
FLTILE1Q2 = 8TILE1Q2
FLTILE1Q3 = 8TILE1Q3
HBLDSTRM1 = 8LDSTRM1
HCBRKSGL2 = 8BRKSGL2
HSLIMEBLO = 8LIMEBLO
HTEMBRK1C = 8EMBRK1C
HTEMFTRM1 = 8EMFTRM1
HTEMFTRM2 = 8EMFTRM2
PNLS3BC0A = 8LS3BC0A
PNLS3BC1A = 8LS3BC1A
PNLS3BD0A = 8LS3BD0A
PNLS3BD1A = 8LS3BD1A
PNLS15L10 = 8LS15L10
PNLS15L11 = 8LS15L11 *
PNLS15L20 = 8LS15L20 *
PNLS15L21 = 8LS15L21
STELWF2CT = 8ELWF2CT
STELWF2EP = 8ELWF2EP
STEW3BHZB = 8EW3BHZB
STEW3BHZG = 8EW3BHZG
STEW3BHZY = 8EW3BHZY
Which as shown, replaces the first 2 characters with the number 8.

You will notice there are 2 with * next to them, those are the ones that I already changed which are in the brightmap library.
The rest of them are normal, non-brightmap textures.

Seems how the brightmaps are pretty much done now, I'll be working on getting the rest of the normal textures scaled via texture.txt.
^ Of course, after the above name conversion.

EDIT:

^ Name conversion complete.. It will be in version 3.6..

Thanks

That's cool Mr Rocket :)
I'm wondering if map makers wouldn't prefer textures to be grouped by names, as suggested by Ukiro.
The 8 prefix will change the alphabetical order.
When I'm done with palette conversion (quite slow currently :( ), I'll probably do some find_and_rename in the scripts and files to stabilize that.

Yeah I know what you mean, currently with the 8 prefix those texture would show up at the top of the list.
I thought about that too.
Maybe we could put the 8 at the end instead of beginning?
Then they would show up at least closer to the rest of the textures that they belong to.

Yeah same here, I'm currently, slowly adding textures to about a dozen maps(they all look like the brightmap map but standard textures)and will be going through each texture and scaling them accordingly.

There's about 144 textures per map, so x12 = 1728.
The 12th map won't have too many textures in it as you probably guess heh.
But yeah, it's going to take a minute.

Edit:

:: hidfan please check your pm's ::

Thanks

doomero-21 said:

Nice work dude. This pack of textures can combine very good with ultimate super doom3.

Hi,

I've actually just tried it out with USD3, here's a super early demo map/teaser:
~it's probably only 10%...

I know, I just happened to use an older version of Gzdoom for the shot.
Also btw, Doom Guys not that tall, he's in Fly mode heh.

pablogener said:

I downloaded the pk3 and set it up in DB2 as a resource. Then tried to use the textures in a wad but couldn't, they were all 32x32. I guess I should wait for you to make a different version with the textures in various sizes so they can be used in a map.

A good chunk of them will show up correctly in DB2 or GZDB when D3Retro v3.6 is ready.

Still working on D3Retro v3.6, hope to have it 1/2 done soon!

In 3.7 all the textures will show up in DB. ~ but that's going to be a little while.
When we get to this point, I'll be adding more of hidfan's drool.. "texture updates" to the pk3.

Cheers

When the doom palette conversion will be done, I'll probably do some square versions, flat compatible, of some rectangular panels. I'll try some better animations too. and when everything will be usable easily by everyone. I'll do something else (rest maybe?)
Your teasing screenshot looks awesome Mr.Rocket!

Thanks guys.
The teaser will eventually be an actual map.
Plan is to be a large co-op and dm map, possibly ctf..
Will get to that later though heh.

I'll be in the process of adding the actual image scales to the texture scripts , it will just take some time.
I have them all at 2:2 now, and yeah looks much closer to our classic doom scale we need.
~ There are a few though that will need be at a 4:4 scale, eg. the barrel textures..
although someone will probably end up converting those to sprites sometime down the road.

Hope to have an update in a few days!

@hidfan,

Here's the rework of the name conversion:

"DRSTFRM2T" = DRST8M2T *
"FLGRCV1DA" = FLGR81DA *
"FLSTE4SLB" = FLST8SLB *
"FLTILE1Q2" = FLTI81Q2 *
"FLTILE1Q3" = FLTI81Q3 *
"HBLDSTRM1" = HBLD8RM1 *
"HCBRKSGL2" = HCBR8GL2 *
"HSLIMEBLO" = HSLI8BLO *
"HTEMBRK1C" = HTEM8K1C *
"HTEMFTRM1" = HTEM8RM1 *
"HTEMFTRM2" = HTEM8RM2 *
"PNLS3BC0A" = PNLS8C0A *
"PNLS3BC1A" = PNLS8C1A *
"PNLS3BD0A" = PNLS8D0A *
"PNLS3BD1A" = PNLS8D1A *
"PNLS15L10" = PNLS8L10 *
"PNLS15L11" = PNLS8L11 **
"PNLS15L20" = PNLS8L20 **
"PNLS15L21" = PNLS8L21 * 
"STELWF2CT" = STEL82CT *
"STELWF2EP" = STEL82EP *
"STEW3BHZB" = STEW8HZB *
"STEW3BHZG" = STEW8HZG *
"STEW3BHZY" = STEW8HZY *

* conversion complete
** brightmaps
This seems to work a lot better.
The conversion names fall in place with the groups they belong to.

Cheers

Just bumping the thread. I'm really excited about how these textures will look in-game.

BTW, when this project is finished, will I have access to a Doom-scaled, Doom-paletted version of all textures that I can just throw into DB2 as a texture resource? And what mapping format am I supposed to use to take advantage of brightmaps? And will there be a bunch of different versions of the pack to take into account different scales, larger palettes and brightmaps?

The brightmaps are made to run on Gzdoom, Qzdoom, and Zandronum.
Currently the hi-res pk3 as a whole is for Zdoom based source engines.

Others could be made, perhaps for the Doomsday engine etc at some point.

I plan to do a light weight low-res version for Doom as a pwad/resource wad, using the doom color palette.
This will require that all texture images be at a standard scale for Doom.
But this won't happen until the hi-res version is complete.

The plan is to have multiple pk3s :
HD (doom3 ratio),32bit,scaled2x one.
LD (doom1 ratio),32bit
HD, 256 colors, scaled2x
LD, 256 colors.
all with animations and brightmaps.
For the map format compatibility, I can't answer, I'm lacking XP about that.
Ayway, The source will stay available for anyone wanting to make something different or better with these.

hidfan is the lead developer/artist of this project.
So what he says goes. :)

This might be of a little help:

To date:
Zdoom based ports are the only thing that's going to be able to run a pk3 afaik.
Software render of these ports won't show brightmaps, if they do, I can't tell.
Which basically leaves Gzdoom, Qzdoom and Zandronum.
Animations of course will still be visible in Zdoom though.

The scripts that I've made so far will only work on the above Z-based engine types.
Aside from the brightmaps, this is mainly what I've been working on, on my end.
And slowly still am..heh

Future versions:
Anything to do with the Doomsday engine would best be at 256 color.
The support for it is similar to pk3, but called .box format.
It's been awhile since I've messed with brightmaps for DE, if I remember right they aren't really brightmaps instead they are a sort of illuminated thing type which can be attached to a given texture through script. It also supports detail textures, these are more like a brightmap, but they are mainly just to add contrast, which can give certain textures more of a metallic look.

A texture wad could be made also, at some point for a vanilla friendly version. Which I could do later after the project is final.
The only way to do this is to scale the texture images, probably as a batch conversion. all being 128x128 64x128 walls, 64x64 flats, a few being the largest at 256 wide, but nothing over 128 tall.
This will be in the original scale of Doom, and then be saved as doom color palette textures only. doom.pal
From that point they can be loaded between the appropriate markers in a doom wad utility similar to XWE and saved as a .wad.

MR.ROCKET said:

Hi,

I've actually just tried it out with USD3, here's a super early demo map/teaser:
~it's probably only 10%...

looks more awesome, confuse with the original doom3...

Nothing constructive to add, other than hot damn this looks excellent!

Almost makes me annoyed I've started a fantasy themed map.

Hey, Thanks for the feedback guys!
The screenshot/teaser is just a scratch in the sandbox however.
I'll be working on that map for awhile. ~ plan is to make a pretty large co-op friendly map, and later cut the map in sections for maybe a 3 or 4 level dm.

@hidfan, here's the current texture.txt if you want to take a look.
D3Retro_v3.6 alpha texture.txt all scales and image sizes are in, it's complete!
I used that .png batch process utility to re-write it, it worked as we hoped!
~ you'll notice some extra textures I put in there for the map I'm working on, animated monitor screens etc.. ;)

Cheers!

Hi guys, how's it going with this? Any nearer to a doom paletted version?

I'm completely overhelmed with a beta @ work.
I'll finish the second half of the 256 colors when things calm down and when I have recovered from crunch time. sorry for the delay.

No pressure at all! If there's any way I can help I will try. I've had a go with a couple of recolourings using GIMP and sort of 'indexing' the image (not sure what that means I'm just clicking on it) using the doom palette and it's adding a tiny bit more colour to some of the greyer images, but not producing any spectacular results.  If it's relatively straightforward but time consuming, maybe post me a basic tutorial or link me to a good one maybe, and I'll try to do what I can to help out

As I have organized my workflow with .psd photoshop files and LUT adjustement layers, to be able to re-edit the sources if needed, without loosing work, then batch convert to 256colors,
It's a bit hard to share.
Thanks for the offer :)

@hidfan @Mr.Rocket Just wondering how things were coming along with the 256 palleted version?  I only ask as there's a community wad in the works that might be pretty perfect for this, but naturally it depends on how close to being done it is.

Not rushing anyone, just wondering. :)

work's beta is ending soon, I'll be able to work again on the paletted versions, in a week or 2.

@hidfan thanks for your pack I started to to make a texture replacer for Doom/Doom2 using as base the DHTP... this its not a HD texture pack i respect the original textures to remake new patches 

Screenshot_Doom_20170519_143509.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170519_143518.png

28 minutes ago, error313 said:

@hidfan thanks for your pack I started to to make a texture replacer for Doom/Doom2 using as base the DHTP... this its not a HD texture pack i respect the original textures to remake new patches 

OMG! I need this!
Please make a lo-res versión too (Pr-Boom) ;3;

is there any pack with the texture available? what if I just add this "texture pack" as a pwad when I launch doom2.wad? is it possible?(if released...)

53 minutes ago, elden4 said:

is there any pack with the texture available? what if I just add this "texture pack" as a pwad when I launch doom2.wad? is it possible?(if released...)

That won't work. You need to make maps with these textures, that's what it's for.

It looks like error313 is trying to rename them to apply to the normal Doom 1/2 levels, but I honestly don't think it looks very good (no offense, error).

so I hope that someone , could make something .... I think that a megawad  or even a small level from a good level designer can be astonishing... It would be great also to apply this textures to the doom 64 conversion in progress ... + the smooth doom pack..

6 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

That won't work. You need to make maps with these textures, that's what it's for.

It looks like error313 is trying to rename them to apply to the normal Doom 1/2 levels, but I honestly don't think it looks very good (no offense, error).

It is obvious that the original maps are not going to look good, have several problems of alignment of textures or do not have much detail because of technical limitations. But if you made a map and you combined and aligned well the original textures well with this pack that I'm editing you see nice results.

here some screens testing this pack in No Rest For The Living

yrLQVUV.png

3D0HOtq.png