Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

Linguica said:

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing, plz do them more often.
I have long thought that the Cacowards kind of unfairly ignore people who contribute to the Doom community in ways outside the narrow boundaries of WAD-making.

Like preserving the entirety of Doomworld and, by extension, the community by moving it to its own domain when the longtime host was set to vanish into the ether.

Linguica said:

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing, plz do them more often.
I have long thought that the Cacowards kind of unfairly ignore people who contribute to the Doom community in ways outside the narrow boundaries of WAD-making. That was a major reason that I contacted them and suggested fraggle for the espi award.

I think there's room for more than one lifetime achievement award in this space. One for mapping (the original concept of someone like Espi who made great stuff over the course of his contributions to Doom but who wasn't recognized for a standout work), and one for other contributions (Ty wasn't awarded it on the basis of his mapping).

Alfonzo said:

The first episode is scheduled to be recorded on January 30th.

Nope.

But lo, there is life! Back in February of this year, Bloodshedder got in contact with one of the keen heads of the Doom programming scene, DavidPH - a valued member of Team Eternity and perhaps one of the most unheralded champions in his area of interest. He was keen to unearth more info about the "modernization effort" involving ACS, amongst other things, as well as some of the stories surrounding his own experiences with scripting language and the modding movement.

This is an inspired choice of interview that likely wouldn't have resulted without such an esteemed and knowledgeable veteran at the helm, so full credit to BS for the pickup; this sorry sack will keep on finding new ways to plead ignorance on all things Knee-deep in the Code. Best leave it to the professionals - they often are.

Interview with DavidPH

...There's that damned red bump warning at the bottom of the reply page again, making me feel all bad and stuff...

We have an impostor. He's kind of cool. He's also not really an impostor, although I'll probably big up that narrative a bit to fabricate some in-house competition that doesn't exist because, as I say, he's a cool guy. And so are his friends! Introducing TerminusEst13 and co-hosts Kinsie and Sgt. Shivers. One of them is the second sergeant to grace this shallow history; collectively, they are the newest additions to the Doom Radio family! Their exciting new talkback program Intermission is a loose and all-encompassing podcast that takes over from the existing Program B and its many incarnations, showcasing the sorts of meaningful, hot-topic chatter that you can really build a brand around. Their knowledge of the Doom scene both within and without their admittedly ZDF heritage and their ostensibly friendly backchat makes the perfect foil podcast to complement the floundering establishment. Welcome aboard! Here's to a long and prosperous relationship.

The second episode of Intermission has just been released, with the series looking to move forward on a bi-weekly basis. As always, you can catch all the latest uploads both here and on the Doom Radio website, which also features the unannounced pilot episode of the series.

Intermission - Pilot Episode
Intermission - E1M2

With Term and co. on board, Doom Radio as a whole will return with vigour. More time to invest in more quality, formatted series. More interviews. More high profile figures both within and without Doomworld. Less me, because let's be honest, as much as I love the sound of my own voice, it begins to grate on the untrained Canadian ear... and after 30 hours in Audacity.

Where’s All the Data? The /newstuff Chronicles #513

September 2016 has been a breakthrough month for Doom Radio. In addition to the release of a brand new podcast by the outspoken Terminus in Intermission, renewed vigour has seen the planned return of some old heads and gigs. This week, Alfonzo puts on the critic’s cap for some quality biff and banter, asking once again the all-important question… Where’s All the Data?

The returning reviews series now rides in tandem with The /newstuff Chronicles, and features this week as part of discussion the 513th article. Ancient Aliens by Skillsaw and Jazzmaster’s Innocence X headline talks as we look to get the ball rolling on matters concerning modern mapsets and level design.

Like, comment and listen! Your feedback is appreciated.

Intermission – E1M3: Knee-Deep in Deepsea

Hot damn, it's a new Intermission episode! E1M3 is out and this text is all that I care to offer on top of what is merely a crosspost from the source at doomradio.org:

In E1M3, we talk about Jimmy and his long list of accomplishments, how GZDoom is objectively better without netplay, our microphones getting sucked up by tornados mid-speaking, why posting EDuke32 mods on the ZDoom forums is hip and cool, how trucolor is all that’s needed to make a new source port, how high-resolution sprites will never be cool, Jimmy’s unrequited crush on Tormentor, Kinsie’s requited hatecrush on Tormentor, Shivers’ favorite Wolfendoom mods, mappers with foot fetishes, how much I fucking love Black Warrior, Jimmy’s lack of Square progress, Kinsie wasting his life, the Citizen Kane of Doom, and how DUMP III still isn’t released.

Intermission - E1M4: Eternal Podcast IV

I'm really getting a feel for this whole cross-posting thing. All I have to do is highlight some text, hold Ctrl+c, switch windows and then slap her down. Hey presto! Here's what she's all about :

In E1M4, we talk about Marty’s lack of fanbase, Xaser’s homeworld rituals, the nominees for this year’s Mordeth award, Intermission’s plans to become a text-based podcast, how jealous we are of Brutal Doom’s staggeringly optimized codebase, professional Doom 64 mapping techniques, Shadow Warrior 2 being our favorite retro FPS, Kinsie’s grudge against Xaser talking, Quake with sprites and furries, more free marketing for Dusk, how much ACS ZDoom can handle at once, the ability to take criticism, Vinesauce’s DUMP, talking shit about projects we’ve done nothing for, how elitist the mapping community is, the beauty of the Egosmasher shotgun, Xaser’s vaporwave wads, Mordeth’s inevitable release, AND WE GO WAY OVER ONE HOUR.

Intermission – E1M5: Hectic

...I'm also getting a feeling that I need to get my ass back into gear. Kudos Term and co. for keeping that pedal to the floor. Here's the low down:

On E1M5, we talk about Xaser coming back for an encore performance, more criticism from the previous podcasts, three years of ramen, why Reddit is a great place to get Doom news, the Playstation 4, paying for Doom mods, artists on Patreon, Brutal Doom, popularity on the internet, Kotaku being a reliable news site, DLC, Xaser forgetting that this is a retro FPS podcast, Hexen’s mechanics, shooting Hitler, why punching the Spider Mastermind is a good idea, half-hour segues, Doom 64 on ZDoom, making multiplayer maps, video games being fun, the Bloodborne expansion for GMOTA, mapping for Heretic, why the Tome of Power is problematic, and opinions on the internet.

Intermission – E1M6: What The… Creepy Bone

I for one welcome our new Radio overlords. I mean, I should - they're my co-casters. Hah! I even managed to say that with a straight face! :(

In E1M6, we introduce 1C4RU5L1VE5, we talk about Kinsie’s refrigerator, his latent love affairs, our political opinions, a death in the community, Japanese mappers, Nature’s Call winning Best Gameplay Caco, delicious bratwurst, why it’s trendy to follow the crowd, Earth Defense Force, why popularity is the best metric to judge a source port, 3DGE driving people to violence, caving in to peer pressure, mega-p0wnz0rring le Internet memes, more political opinions, why racism is never cool, old men running the world in an electronic new age, whether Halo counts as a retro game now, programming with duct tape, coming to terms with how old we are, self-promotion, recreating Doom 64 in GZDoom, Shivers having a close encounter with an anonymous mod, Hexen 64 being objectively the best version of Hexen, and cutscenes in Doom.

Intermission – E1M7: The Special One
Intermission – E1M8: Last Call

Yes hello. The end of the year is upon us, and with it comes the culmination of Doom Radio's newest (and currently only operational fml) talkback podcast in Intermission. Honestly, I'd expected those Ms to rocket into the double digits but, well, Doom got it right with its episode structure and Terminus agrees! Nine eight really hits the spot.

Apologies for not updating the thread sooner. Stay tuned for the 2016 Cacowards Retrospective podcast.

On E1M7, we talk about being foul-mouthed, Wolfenstein pinball, how jealous we are of D4D getting special treatment, Graf Zahl as the head of PR, programmers being perfectly normal and stable people, the cultural impact of Tony Hawk, the Masters of Doom movie, WildWeasel and Wil Wheaton being the WW brothers, why plagiarism is cool, Marphy Black, EYE being a wonderful retro FPS, SNKlish, the Cyberdemon’s angry french brother, Term’s fetishes, what mods we’re not working on, pleasing everybody, working on things while being sick, TNT: Evilution and how it stacks up to Plutonia, puzzles in Doom, puzzles in Hexen, American fast food, and pissing off Kegan.

On E1M8, we talk about 2016’s stellar track record, Doom’s job, the second biggest birdbrain in the community, elves, Romero’s power level, how rigged the Cacowards are, the fierce battle for HDoom, legal advice, a hidden Plutonia mode, sprite-based lighting, Pathways to Darkness, Quake’s design direction, the new Overwatch sequel, Kegan and Yholl being silenced, Yholl playing retro FPSes, ModDB and how much we absolutely adore its community and competent staff no really we absolutely fucking LOVE IT MMMMMMMMM YES LOVE ME MORE SNAKE, pinball with RPG mechanics, genital-based marketting and the rise and fall of EreXion, the five fans of Hexen, the secrets behind Laundry 3 and Combined_Arms, Kinsie’s beloved status, Game Maker as a Doom 4 ripping tool, the inevitable MetaDoom mapset, and which of us act as the Bara Brothers.

Intermission was a really nice series of podcasts. It's cool that it seems that they want to continue, and I hope for another full season at least.

In a hopeful return to a more regular interview series, Doom Radio has arranged for a conversation with James Paddock to take place next week. This is a follow-up to the first interview we conducted back in 2012, also the third podcast released under the old TTV brand.

Jimmy is a renowned musician and level designer who has created in excess of 400 MIDIs for various projects over the last 9 years, and who still finds room to explore his talents as a texture artist and project coordinator. He is the mastermind behind the stand-alone Adventures of Square FPS, MIDI pack projects for Plutonia and TRV!, a 32 strong megaWad in Jenesis, and the ongoing Joy of Mapping project, which is a successful attempt to bring new level designers into the fold. In 2017, he has proven himself among the most prolific and talented polymaths in the community, and his legacy continues to grow.

If you'd like to ask Jimmy any questions to be voiced on the podcast, just drop it straight into the thread or spin a PM in my direction. Stay tuned!

It’s January 2017, and true to form on Doom Radio we’ve decided to sit back on our laurels and let the airwaves rankle for a bit. The Cacos have been shipped, the Intermission curtains strung; already we’re standing on the cusp of many new and exciting developments that will define the new year… what better time to cast an eye back over all that 2016 had to offer?

December. December is that better time. Doofus.

2016 Cacowards Retrospective

This is a three hour back-and-forth between partners in crime dew, Terminus, Kinsie and me, dissecting the awardees, the selection process, Cacoward-community relations, and all the while providing an insight into the tumultuous blunderdome of unchecked authority. Pull up a chair or a rug or beanbag (if that’s how you choose to live your life) and get ready for a monster podcast. Also, try to select the precise time past which the whole thing descends into farce and dew passes out on the floor. 00:00:00 is a legitimate response to at least one of these events.

Yo yo yo I listened to some of this last broadcast, thanks dewww for the compliments.

Now I have some points to make (maybe it's better off in another thread? Feel free to separate if so), specifically about the multiplayer category comments. This is mostly in response to things Terminus said.

Although I know it's somewhat true, it does kind of rankle me to suggest that part of the reason why MXU's wads win is because the competition is thin. Yea competition IS thin but it's not non-existent and to act as if they were the only WADs being worked on kind of discredits other well-built (but maybe poorly executed) mapsets that simply didn't get attention or playtime, and publicly cheapens the work that we put into our wads. In the past 2 years Doomkid has released plenty of DM wads, CGI was released with many maps and a strong contributor list, skirmish 1on1, Morgenstern, some speed-sets from combinebobnt, 32in24-15, as well as various standalone maps here and there, i'm sure if i looked around i'd find some little dm mapsets kicking around too.

I'm also a little rankled at the whole "personalities" and "picking fights" over mapping implications as a reason for decline in mp mapping. It's not really that, I just think people aren't interested in mapping for multiplayer unless it's a big name event like 32in24. In literally every project MXU has done we (I) have borderline begged for people to join in the project, to offer newbie mp mappers a chance, to teach them, etc. Virtually nobody in the past 6 years of doing that has anybody taken us up on it, and continue not to do it. Multiplayer mapper have always extended their hand, whether its Core team or Doomkid's #dmstuff or 32in24 gang; it's a lot less to do with "reputation" fights and a lot more to do with people just don't want to do it.

<Razgriz>its work and remember its what i always say
<Razgriz>people in doom dont like putting in work
<Razgriz>for mapping and mods people are lazy, why do you think addons are big?

Most DM players are randoms anyway with 0 knowledge of drama or interest in mapping anyway.

So yea, I mean I guess a win is a win, and to be very honest I'm very grateful to have our work recognized at all, but don't chalk it up to being the only thing out there or bemoan the lack of competition. I'd love to see more MP projects going on, I really would. I hate to sound arrogant, but I'm also willing to bet most mp projects would have a difficult time stacking up against our stuff, which has received tons of positive feedback (after release :/) and playtime. If we win because we're the only ones out there, make something better than us, I'd love to see and play it.

You tell that bitch ass punk! The other day he came to me and went "Waaah I wish I could do the MP segment, you have it so easy with just 2 projects coming out annualy. I don't even like D4D but literally every other mod that appeared this year is rank garbage!" At least we have two good things to award HA HA!

Im glad ScubaSteve Stepped in and Included Blade of Agony. Having that mod canned from the Awards would have been a travesty IMO.

Intermission – E1M9: Everything You Love Is Dead

In a frankly disappointing turn, you are not required to hack the very foundations of the interwebs to unlock this "secret" podcast for Intermission's E1. There's no hidden url link; no web-humping for sites with blinking lights and suspicious candles. There is, however, to my understanding, a bit where they slag off the so-called host of Doom Radio, which is a welcome step up for in-house soap opera hostilities but is not a revelation deserving of the slot: my basic lack of managerial skills in this domain was never a secret to anyone.

Happy travels, Intermission!

In E1M9, we talk about Shivers being unable to play Doom anymore, Randi’s accomplishments in the community (you dun gud), how to take criticism, Dropbox singlehandedly killing the community, Shivers shilling his mod for ten minutes straight, how Laundry 3 still is not released, that now people have a reason to play TNT: Evilution, running from it, xlat, Xaser pooping out another golden egg, my erection, the endless war between Doomworld forumites and ZDoom forumites, how we have no clue what we’re doing, our impenetrable accents, the music in the background, how IRC confounds and confuses us, and Kinsie’s chair.

The Doom Radio Interview series resurfaces in 2017 with James ‘Jimmy’ Paddock, who takes to the hot seat for the second time in TTV history. During this 90 minute podcast we discuss the creative differences between composition and level design, the discipline of ‘speedmapping’, MIDI commissions and Patreon, the fine line between hobby and work, motivation, platforms for coordinating projects (and our shilling of Discord), meeting fellow users abroad, and the wonderful world of musical studies.

Jimmy is an accomplished student of the MIDI arts, having recently exceeded more than 500 compositions to play alongside his extensive modding and level design history with projects like Adventures of Square, Jenesis, and various contributions across Doomworld, ZDoom Forums, and Skulltag. He is a texture artist and coordinator of several ongoing efforts across platforms, and like the rest of us Doomworld tragics has made certain that he’s spread himself as thin across these obligations as is humanly possible. Poor bastard.

Podcast || Jimmy's homepage || DoomWiki article

Apologies for the blips and bloops that you’ll hear from time to time; that’s Discord’s press-to-talk audio cue, which I forgot to disable before recording. Try not to notice it. Also try to pretend that Intermission E1M9 hasn’t actually been released more than a month ago, so that the end of the discussion doesn’t disclose how horribly overdue I am with this upload.

Next week on the program, Doom Radio will be speaking with Andrew Stine aka Linguica, who as everyone will remember is the guy who made Instadoom in 2015. He also runs this website.

If you have any questions you'd like to hear voiced on the podcast, you can either drop them right here in the thread or send them in via PM if you're seeking to undermine his authority and instigate a fracas. We will not be accepting any questions about the anime avatar epidemic at this time. There are no guarantees.

Intermission – E2M1: Sometimes Change Is Okay

...They can't be back with season 2 already, surely? My God - this talking threesome with its damned, boundless enthusiasm. Why couldn't they stay away so I could get a run-on like we talked about? The marine's supposed to die at the end of E1M8, not shamble off to the next Moon without breaking stride. I'm considering this a breach of contract. Your payment packages will be withheld until the podcast has cowed to my inferior product.

P.S. It's good - give it a listen.

In E2M1, we talk about Portal still being relevant in 2017, sympathy for Graf Zahl, floodgates, lens flares for sprites, maps for GZDoom being made for Edge, furries in Doom, a surprise attack by Wartorn (several times), Xaser spoiling secret projects, Doom on Greenlight, mapping for Brutal Doom, political Doom mods and our thoughts on Trump and what he’s doing to the face of Doomworld and Doommerica, platforming in Doom, shooting dudes in a Doom mod, the importance of hiding your DeviantArt favorites, the revolution of TNT: Revilution, BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN, how Psychic has been in development for almost ten years and what’s left that needs to be finished, The Legend of BELDA :DDD, what incredibly super-retro FPSes we’ve been playing this time around (hint: they’re neither retro nor FPSes), all while I noisily eat ramen in the background which turned out to be the most tedious and lengthy thing to edit out during the entire thing so REMIND ME NEVER TO PODCAST AND EAT AT THE SAME TIME EVER AGAIN EVER EVER EVER AGAIN EVER.

Intermission – E2M2: Loaded

Hi, you can disregard the backchat above; the guys have let me in on the action and so now they're the best and there's no bad blood and we can all be a big happy family and give this a listen.*

On E2M2, we talk about Full House, canyon.mid in Mario Paint, legal issues, Intermission’s competition, Dead Simple remakes being the top-tier wad types of all time, ZDoom maps being the second-most-top-tier wad types, REKKR being more popular than Adventures of Square, Sandy Petersen mapping for ZDoom projects, millennials in the megawad clubs, Carmack inventing the .wad, how Doom’s saves work, Aeons of Death’s shining accomplishments, weapon and monster randomizer mods, turduckens, philosophy of weapon counts, HDoom’s weapon limit, hosting a Doom convention in Japan, what the Quake singleplayer experience actually is, censoring, Doom 2: 4 2, Doom 4’s uphill climb against expectations, all while I sit and brood in envy at how much better Alfonzo’s microphone is compared to mine.

*May or may not be lies.

Just look at that upswing in content production! 0.2ppw (podcasts per week) is hard going. Repeat redlines could lead to radio components being damaged beyond repair—certainly with our meager budget. Thankfully, Terminus didn't accept the courtesy company car we offered him, so there's at least one man in the office who can operate reliably at peak performance.

Interview with NaturalTvventy

The interview with Linguica hit a bump after a server fell through on Discord at the inopportune moment, but don't worry; I had a backup plan! In this 60-minute podcast for Doom Radio, Emil "NaturalTvventy" Brundage takes to the hot-seat to talk about the development behind his best-known work and collaboration, his return from obscurity in 2009, the evils of the super shotgun, his involvement with the Chaos Crew and Caverns of Darkness, the attraction of designing levels for Doom 1 over Doom 2, playing with the music turned off (unless it's Metallica), and denying the ever-present/alternative reality of how the community sees his work.

NaturalTvventy is a celebrated level designer who is best known as one of the two major leads behind No End in Sight—a 38-map megawad that was inspired by the Doom The Way id Did project of 2010—and for his 'Ultimate' affinity. He has a history with creating content for the game dating as far back as the late '90s, with his cult offerings in The Beginning of the End and its sequel, both for Doom 1, and his contributions to other well-known releases such as Caverns of Darkness. With an outspoken and inspirational figure who is well-worth his weight in maps, this is a conversation for every member of the mapping community, prospective and established alike!

Edited by Alfonzo : I am bolder.

I should tune in more often, I forgot this thread even existed but some of these topics seem quite interesting. I remember enjoying the ones I heard early on!

Despite being like 4 months late, I'll have to echo Decay's point that a reasonable amount of MP stuff gets made, it's just that an unfortunate amount of it gets no attention! The last few months have been a little dry in terms of new content, but there's definitely stuff put out, I just don't think many people notice. This seems like an unfortunate side effect of multiplayer being largely disregarded by many staples of the community. It's a damn shame.

Enormous digressions aside, I'll be sure to check out these newer episodes!