Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaLiquidator

TEKWALL-like texture drawing

Here is the stuff:

I can draw a lot of these without getting distracted at all. I could draw whole texture pack like that. This is just a sample that needs a scientific proof that its possible to make a good texture from drawings like that. Method would be: lens correction, then threshold to make it plain black-white, then manually drawing areas that are supposed to be different materials with different colors, then somehow
expand these areas and save them aside (for shadows and transitions), then apply different textures for different material layers, thenapply shadows.
I've already tried something, but it looks like my ass cause so far I am new to Photoshop. This is just raw plan how it would be probably done. If some of you guys could do it, the community would profit by having other messy tech textures than various recolors of TEKWALL1 to 6, including variants that merge to metal walls and so on! If somebody will send me a decent texture done from this, I will give you next images!

PS: For sure next time I will draw these on grid paper having in mind that it must wrap left-right and up-down.

Guest Unregistered account

Bloody Hell, that looks cool - in much the same vein and realism as the ones in Doom!
The ones in Doom, however, were actually photographed parts of toys. I'm not sure what to suggest if you're trying to draw it; apologies!

I'm actually quite surprised that making resources in the style of the photographed artwork like the various TEKWALLS and the hanging bodies in the first Doom) isn't more popular.

No, you dont have true. Weapon sprites were from toys, not textures.
Part of textures were photographed and part were actually drawn. For example MARBFACEs were physically drawn - Romero has even the sketchbook photo on Twitter. On the other side, on other textures you can literally see parts oof motherboards and so. But not all of them are plain cleaned-up photos. Look at TEKWALL4, it cannot be photo of anything. Sadly its true that iD designers cleaned up textures manually, but I want more automated process to be able just to spit bunch of high quality original textures in shortest time, and the logical conclusion is that it is somehow possible.
I could program whole fore-mentioned method, but I dont have much time right now. I am posting it here NOW, cause I want to get people involved in stuff they could do better and in shorter time than myself - there would be certain time loss when figuring things out in image modification process, but thats not the main reason - drawing textures is just not my main focus now.

Awesome drawings NinjaLiquidator! Do you have access to a scanner? The image is a little skewed and the lighting is a little off due to being taken from a photograph. I've created TITLEPICs from sketch drawings before so I'm sure this could be done pretty easily.

If you need access to hi-res pictures for tech stuff for the final texture, give cgtextures.com a look. You'll need to register for a free account, but there's loads of great stuff there.