Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Weirdest damaging floors

This thread is all "WHY WOULD WATER HARM YOU?" like water has never, you know, actually killed human beings; either by drowning or being full of contaminants or something.

I say sure, why not? As long as there is a non-fatal example early in a map/set so players can be warned this is going to happen, and it's all consistent and everything.

I still maintain that it's too damn blue to be pure water anyways. :P

Speaking of damaging water...

The PSX port of the Plutonia levels has some damaging water. One example is in Ghost Town.

Jayextee said:

This thread is all "WHY WOULD WATER HARM YOU?" like water has never, you know, actually killed human beings; either by drowning or being full of contaminants or something.

To drown in Doom water, you'd have to be able to sink through it first.

I'm gonna have to call contaminants, then. Clearly the water is loaded with toxic, uh, visplanes or something. ;)

Gez said:

Impie's recreation of Derceto Manor (from the original Alone in the Dark) has a room that's damaging. Those who played the original game might remember that when you enter that room, the smoke from the ashtray grows and tries to surround you, if you're hit you suffocate to death (AitD had a lot of insta-death traps) so the only option is to run quickly through the room without giving time for the evil smoke to hit you. Approximating that as a damaging floor makes sense, but without context it might seem weird.

That particular trap drained health instead of instakilling the player, so a damaging floor in a Doom recreation is very fitting. I don't remember if the player can get the key for the adjoining room at that point, so I put out the ashtray with a pitcher of water.

Jayextee said:

I'm gonna have to call contaminants, then. Clearly the water is loaded with toxic, uh, visplanes or something. ;)

The water is actually from health vials. Lots and lots of discarded health vials. The reason you get hurt is all the broken glass at the bottom ;0)

Jayextee said:

Well, W.A.T.E.R. has been known to be very hazardous...

ICI has announced the discovery of a new fire fighting agent known as WATER (Wonderful And Total Extinguishing Resource). It is particularly suitable for dealing with fires in buildings, timber yards and warehouses, and is fairly cheap to produce. It is intended that quantities of about a million gallons should be stored in open pools or reservoirs near urban areas and installations of high risk.

WATER is already encountering strong opposition from safety and environmental groups. Professor Connie Barrinner has pointed out that if anyone immersed their head in a bucket of WATER, it would prove fatal in as little as three minutes. Each of ICI's proposed reservoirs will contain enough WATER to fill half a million two-gallon buckets. Each bucketful could be used a hundred times, so there is enough WATER in one reservoir to kill the entire population of the UK.

Did we know, asked a Fire Brigades spokesman, what would happen to this new medium when it was exposed to intense heat? It had been reported that WATER was a constituent of beer; did this mean that fireman would be intoxicated by the fumes?

The Friends of the Earth said they had obtained a sample of WATER and found that it made clothes shrink. If it did this to cotton, what would it do to men?

Reminds me of a similar rant about the dangerous chemical dihydrogen monoxide. It lists some of its noxious use such as "an industrial solvent and coolant" or "historically, in Hitler's death camps in Nazi Germany, and in prisons in Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Libya, Iraq and Iran" and is alarmed to find it "as an additive to food products, including jarred baby food and baby formula, and even in many soups, carbonated beverages and supposedly "all-natural" fruit juices".

Not to mention the controversial torturing method of dihydrogen monoxide boarding.

On the total opposite, how about floors that don't damage when they should? Gaia's Temple in Scythe 2 is covered in non-damaging lava. It's pretty cool to be honest, but when you first play the map it's very much a 'wtf' moment, as all lava in previous levels leading up to that damages you iirc.

Alien Vendatta has a lot of wtf moments about damaging stuff. Sometimes the nukage damages you, sometimes doesn't, and this in the same level.

I personally found damaging floors that won't let you get out to be the worst out of the bunch. Make a misstep and boom, you are guaranteed to die in the map since you can't get out. And it's even worse if you didn't save at the beginning of the map. (made a misstep trying to get to the E1M3 secret level, I was pretty mad when that happened because I didn't save at all:(. )

What about non-damaging floors that still won't let you out? With the authors going as far as saying "if you drop down [some hole you can't get out of], consider yourself dead and restart the map"?

Maes said:

What about non-damaging floors that still won't let you out? With the authors going as far as saying "if you drop down [some hole you can't get out of], consider yourself dead and restart the map"?

That would be basically a inescapable pit.

In No End in Sight, e2m2 has a damaging pool of water and then two damaging monster closets with regular textures. Maybe they were supposed to be a fridge or something? I've seen a few "white rooms" that were supposed to be cold before.

Darch said:

That would be basically a inescapable pit.

In a game that revolves around clear life and death resolutions, pulling such an "unwinnable" bullshit on the player is just poor design, laziness, or being a jerk.

Speed of Doom map04 has green slime everywhere but it is harmless. The level ends after you open a gate and proceed along a slime-filled tunnel. On the other side of the intermission screen, you're in the same tunnel, yet somehow now the slime has turned toxic.

RjY said:

Speed of Doom map04 has green slime everywhere but it is harmless. The level ends after you open a gate and proceed along a slime-filled tunnel. On the other side of the intermission screen, you're in the same tunnel, yet somehow now the slime has turned toxic.

This suddenly gives me an idea of some sort of project where the internal logic seems to change at random, except on further examination it actually makes complete, if not intuitive sense. Of course MAP04 would have safe green slime and MAP05 wouldn't - nukage only damages you on odd-numbered maps. That sort of thing.

Maes said:

Maes said:

In a game that revolves around clear life and death resolutions, pulling such an "unwinnable" bullshit on the player is just poor design, laziness, or being a jerk.

Well, you had your answer the whole time. I was just stating that you description matched exactly a inescapable pit, not saying it was good design at all.

You want to know what annoys the crap out of me? Blood being inconsistent as Hell (Pun intended) when it comes to whether it damages you or not. It's even worse when it's on the same level-set and the rule changes from level to level with absolutely no indication or, in select circumstances, the exact same level has some blood harm you and other blood not doing jack to you. So basically, RjY's complaint but with blood instead of nuclear waste.

There was 20% (IIRC) damaging water on MAP02 of Requiem but there was snow everywhere so I presume it was because it's very cold. Enough to hurt you through your space boots!

MetroidJunkie said:

Blood being inconsistent as Hell (Pun intended) when it comes to whether it damages you or not. It's even worse when it's on the same level-set and the rule changes from level to level

I remember PRCP having that issue. Some levels had you wading through it while others forced you to avoid it or use radsuits. No way of telling either. Even for a community project, there should be some enforced guidelines like that for the sake of consistency.

Also I don't care for the inconsistency with non-damaging and then damaging slime floors going from MAP16 to MAP17, it can really throw someone off.

Non-damaging lava is also the strangest non-damaging floor you can use IMHO.

If you want non-damaging lava, just use the cracked lava floor texture. At least that makes more sense since Doom Guy's boots would be stepping on the rock itself, avoiding damage.

One interesting example was a Wild West-themed map ("Fistful of Doom"?) where you're damaged if you wander out in the sun, so you need to stay in the shade.

There's also Alien Vendetta's "Toxic Touch" which has a damaging torch near the beginning. You need to press a switch that's right in front of the torch, and you usually end up burning yourself in the process. Seriously, just how clumsy are you Doomguy?