Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

I started work on MAP30. If someone wants to work on it a little bit, post here before downloading, so that way we don't get multiple people working on it at once. We need some areas branching off from the bossfight room that contain ammo. Feel free to change whatever I already made too.

Download Now!

scotty said:

You know it is possible to jump from the exit ledge to one of the lowering platforms and get the blue key almost immediately and therefore skip basically the whole map? I don't know if that was intentional or not.

I considered the possibility but never tested it. I think what I'll do is leave it in, but modify it so it's harder to pull off (requiring a rocket boost, most likely).

Cross-posting from the picture thread, i've started my map21:

This is the idea i have with this map theme: a city strongly submerged by demonic presence, with mixed town and hell places, kinda similar to the episode 2 of doom theme style... if this doesn't look good, i'll see to change it with a different way of theme, but always staying closer to the classic doom 2 hell theme...

Still a map32 open?

I'll take it if it is available. And I offer my condolences :)

Yeah you can have map 32. The person working on map 31 posted screenshots of his work on the zdoom forums. If you wanna check that out, it's here.

Does it need to be fully Wolfenstein related?

I'm cool either way

It doesn't need to be if you don't want it to be. It is your map after all. I'll say the same thing to you that I did to meatman12: "You can make it be a reference to a doom 1 level or doom 2 level if you want, or just make it have some sort of playful gimmick. Be creative."

Cool map. Good layout and fun gameplay, though I must say that there isn't really much variation in terms of the flats you chose for the map, especially in cases where textures with a different color, such as STONE2 or METAL2, collide with the light brown colored flat you have for the majority of the map. To make this look like, I suggest chainging the flat to something that fits the lower texture underneath. Flats like FLAT5_4, FLOOR5_1, SLIME14 and FLOOR0_3 just to name a few. Also, you could also spruce up the ceiling flats if you like. It'll add plenty of texture variety to your map.
Solid submission from you, sir. You're gonna go places. Keep at it!

Breezeep said:

especially in cases where textures with a different color, such as STONE2 or METAL2, collide with the light brown colored flat you have for the majority of the map. To make this look like, I suggest chainging the flat to something that fits the lower texture underneath.

To be fair, this is a very "Doom 2" thing (which shows up often in Sandymaps, in particular. Romero did this a bit as well). In this instance I'd say it's fine.

Count651 said:

Finished my map, here it is. I call it Cystem. http://wikisend.com/download/863274/Cystem.wad

Neat map. It was very fun and will fit well with the mapping style of this megawad. So, you are going to be updating it? I'm just wondering so that I can know if I should add the deathmatch player spots and weapons to the version I have now.

Yeah, I'll be editing it a bit more. I'll let you know once I'm done and you can have at it with the deathmatch spawns and items.

Seidolon said:

BTW, what do you all think of the name "Doom: Return to Hell on Earth"?

Meh, " Suit & tie community project ".

Played through Count651's map. Very well done, though it felt more like Plutonia than Doom 2. That's great though, I welcome having as many varied gameplay styles in this set as possible, provided they're all fun (plus I really like Plutonia). I'd suggest having a little more health throughout, and possibly a slightly earlier armour? Aside from that, no complaints.

Regarding the name of this project: I'm a big fan of the suggestion "House of Plain".

I feel like House of Plain is somewhat negative though, considering it might make the project seem dull and boring at first. I think Return to Hell on Earth would be good because it emphasizes the point of being back on Earth and also relates well with Doom 2: Hell on Earth, which is what this whole project is based on.

@joe-ilya What's "Suit & tie" about this project?

The slots filled up fast! About the name: just make it "Good Ol' Doom 2", gets the idea across in a simple manner.

I don't know. I just want a name that's a bit more epic than that.

Also, I was thinking that for the map name intermission graphics, I would add the map author's name below, like this:

What do you think?

That's a pretty cool name, though it may cause confusion because people might think that you have to get back out of hell. If we made that the name, we might just make a part 2, where the player does in fact get back out of hell. "Doom: Through Hell and Back [Part 1]" and then "[Part 2]" will be the sequel. Whaddaya think?

Yeah that would work. I can imagine a sequel would be likely too given how quickly everyone wanted to be a part of the wad.

Seidolon said:

I started work on MAP30. If someone wants to work on it a little bit, post here before downloading, so that way we don't get multiple people working on it at once. We need some areas branching off from the bossfight room that contain ammo. Feel free to change whatever I already made too.

Download Now!

Staked a small little room outside the main area; I'll build outward from here later on; but for now I await the maps I am set between,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6wtjzu4n2yzpnw/MAP30.wad?dl=0

As for the "house of plain" name; just make it a really small L or blend it in with the p and a in stylized fashion. It's a subtle prod/joke at the name; as if to say "The PLAIN is hiding in PAIN sight

Also subtle puns are best.

I would have liked to have made a map for this but all slots appear taken. But why is MAP30 Unavailable on page 1?

Good luck with the project guys, looking forward to playing it.

Count651 said:

Finished my map, here it is. I call it Cystem. http://wikisend.com/download/863274/Cystem.wad

Generally pretty cool setups, i liked the inclusion of the crushers especially given that there is some really grindy stuff in here, especially at the start where only the SG and CG are provided... and you are expected to fight a Baron with those tools, which is really tedious. The map instantly become more fun once the SSG and RL were provided as you could play more aggressively, maybe the SSG could be given off the bat to increase the pace of the map? Rather than waiting until halfway and be given both those weapons basically at the same time. I found the PG which is lucky given how fucking harsh that YK trap is, it'd be by far the trickiest part if you only had the SSG available (as rockets are useless there) :P And the Barons in the final fight were just rocket sponges... switching them out for double Knights would require the same ammo but perhaps be a more chaotic overall encounter.

Finally i can't help but think this map would be better in an E3 slot? Then you have AD's map Boiling Point, which was quite a lot easier than this, and feels more E2. Possible slot swap? I'm generally of the opinion that maps should be grouped by episode in projects like this anyway (like how Nova III is being done), then specific slots organised later to suit the map pacing more closely.

These are just some thoughts anyway. The map was generally really fun after grinding out the early part!

pcorf said:

I would have liked to have made a map for this but all slots appear taken. But why is MAP30 Unavailable on page 1?

Good luck with the project guys, looking forward to playing it.

Hey, it looks like we're going to do a sequel since this project was so quick to fill up. Stick around if you want a spot in that wad.

Map 30 is unavailable because it is going to be worked on by multiple mappers. I started work on it, and other people who already made map can contribute to it.

Hey, I can give up my MAP14 slot since I was unsure. Still am, seems a shame taking up a slot someone else could use. :)