Baron of Hell
User Control Panel | Member List | FAQ | Privacy Policy | Blogs | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > DOOM Retro v2.4.1 (updated February 28, 2017)
Pages (36): « First ... « 33 34 35 [36]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PhobosGuy

When I try to load Minor Sprite Fixing Project the game doen't run: Flats section not found in IWAD

Old Post Feb 5 2017 21:36 #
PhobosGuy is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Brewtal_Legend

Is there a way to adjust the amount of motion blur when it is activated? It looks pretty cool, but when playing with always run on, it becomes a bit much.

Old Post Feb 8 2017 04:31 #
Brewtal_Legend is offline || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bradharding

Brewtal_Legend said:
Is there a way to adjust the amount of motion blur when it is activated? It looks pretty cool, but when playing with always run on, it becomes a bit much.

There isn't, but there will be in the next release.

Old Post Feb 8 2017 06:05 #
bradharding is offline Twitter account Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bradharding

Version 2.4 of DOOM Retro is now available! This release sees a significant amount of changes, including some extensive rendering optimizations and a new "vanilla mode". As always, visit www.doomretro.com for the link and comprehensive release notes.

Thank you to everyone for their support. In particular, thanks to Viggles, Im TPhentr, alfasketer and Julian Nechaevsky.

Last edited by bradharding on Feb 27 2017 at 07:01

Old Post Feb 26 2017 22:32 #
bradharding is offline Twitter account Github || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant100
Ask me about Lost Soul sprites

PhobosGuy said:
When I try to load Minor Sprite Fixing Project the game doen't run: Flats section not found in IWAD

I had a look into this issue, and it's true that v1.8 of the Minor Sprite Fixing Project currently doesn't work in Doom Retro. The error being shown by the port right now when loading the WAD is "PWAD tag is not present."

Looking deeper into the matter, it looks like the header in the sprite fixes WAD was changed from "PWAD" to "IWAD" at some point, and I'm not sure how that happened. However, this change has not been noticed until now as no other port handles a WAD's PWAD/IWAD header in this manner. Most ports just ignore the header altogether, it seems. Even the original released Doom source code only checks the header to ensure the loaded file is a valid WAD file. It makes no internal distinction whatsoever based on this header.

Doom Retro's current behavior is to check specifically for the "PWAD" header for any WAD file loaded as a PWAD. If it fails this check, the engine will exit out with the aforementioned error message. I'm not aware of any other source port that handles WAD loading in this manner as other engines, including the vanilla executable, will accept loading IWADs as PWADs with no issues.

Obviously, there's a possible fix on my end which is simply to change the sprite fixes WAD header from IWAD to PWAD. I'll have to investigate a little further to see if this change will warrant a whole new release, but I'd say the bigger problem here is with Doom Retro's handling of this rather innocuous header information. It's not necessary to exit out with an error as the game can still load the WAD just fine.

Old Post Feb 27 2017 23:16 #
Revenant100 is offline Twitter account Youtube || Blog || PM || Post History || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
bradharding

Revenant100 said:
I had a look into this issue, and it's true that v1.8 of the Minor Sprite Fixing Project currently doesn't work in Doom Retro. The error being shown by the port right now when loading the WAD is "PWAD tag is not present."

Looking deeper into the matter, it looks like the header in the sprite fixes WAD was changed from "PWAD" to "IWAD" at some point, and I'm not sure how that happened. However, this change has not been noticed until now as no other port handles a WAD's PWAD/IWAD header in this manner. Most ports just ignore the header altogether, it seems. Even the original released Doom source code only checks the header to ensure the loaded file is a valid WAD file. It makes no internal distinction whatsoever based on this header.

Doom Retro's current behavior is to check specifically for the "PWAD" header for any WAD file loaded as a PWAD. If it fails this check, the engine will exit out with the aforementioned error message. I'm not aware of any other source port that handles WAD loading in this manner as other engines, including the vanilla executable, will accept loading IWADs as PWADs with no issues.

Obviously, there's a possible fix on my end which is simply to change the sprite fixes WAD header from IWAD to PWAD. I'll have to investigate a little further to see if this change will warrant a whole new release, but I'd say the bigger problem here is with Doom Retro's handling of this rather innocuous header information. It's not necessary to exit out with an error as the game can still load the WAD just fine.

Thanks for looking into this. It was on my list of things to do, and after having a quick look suspected your WAD had the wrong header. You're right, there's no good reason to exit with an error in this instance, and look into fixing it for ready for the next point release.

Old Post Feb 27 2017 23:28 #