Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daggorath

Using monsters in different games

Hello. I want to know if there is a way to add or exchange monsters between Doom, Heretic and Hexen. Hexen enemies in Doom, Hexen ones in Heretic, etc. Thanks for any assistance.

As far as I know, only one source port has full support for making completely new things/monsters, as opposed to DehackEd style editing[taking an existing thing and converting it], and that would be EDGE. While it may not be nearly as nice in eye candy, I perfer it over the other engines mainly due to it room for editing/adding of things, attacks, map entries, walls, etc. Also, it's Extrafloors aren't terrible.

I'm working on a mod that in fact has monsters from Heretic, Hexen, Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior usable in addition to the normal Doom 1/2 monsters, as well as a few other monsters that may exist in a couple of mods made by friends or other doomers.

It can be found here: http://www.zxdware.net/ebdoom

Yes there is, it works with Zdoom...

-Make a resource wad and stick all the resources of the monster in it. (sprites, sounds, and things it shoots) An example would be the snake enemy from Heretic.

-Then load the wad with doom and go to the counsol and type "Summon snake". That should create one in front of you.

-Once the next Zdoom comes out, you will be able to spawn them with scripts.

I found a Doom WAD called Herian which includes Heretic enemies in it. The ZIP file doesn't seem to include any special files except batch files and the WAD itself.

From memory, the monsters in Herian were simply sprite replacements for the doom monsters. ie they looked like the Heretic/Hexen monsters but were still actually Doom monsters. I don't even think they had their behaviour modified using dehacked (could be wrong on that one).

What Lazer is describing is Zdoom's ability to spawn the actual monsters from Heretic or Hexen into a Doom game. By "actual" monsters, I mean the correct monsters with the right hit points, attacks and other behaviours. This is made possible because Zdoom supports all these games, so the code for the monsters is there anyway. All you have to do is provide the resources the monster needs (graphics etc) and you can bring any monster from Doom/Heretic/Hexen into a Doom/Heretic/Hexen game.

Edit:

Enjay said:

All you have to do is provide the resources the monster needs (graphics etc) and you can bring any monster from Doom/Heretic/Hexen into a Doom/Heretic/Hexen game.

He he, actually, you don't even need to provide the resources. You can simply summon the monster. Without resources, however, it will be totally invisible and will make no sound, but it will be there, and can kill you or be killed.

Enjay said:

it will be totally invisible and will make no sound, but it will be there, and can kill you ....

Truly, a monster from Hell (pun intended).

Two questions:

Where can I find the names of the monsters to summon? (obviously, "Summon Serpent" summons the stalker instead)

Secondly, totally off subject, but where can I get a list of the things to summon? Hell, I need the whole list of Hexen Edit Walkthrough, but I can find nothing. Perhaps I'm blind and not looking hard enough... ah well...

Eternity will be able to use any Heretic mapthing in DOOM *without* requiring you to use a script to spawn it.

Eternity, instead of doing whatever it is that zdoom does, which I've yet to figure out actually, remaps MOST of Heretic's mapthing numbers by adding 7000 to them. So D'Sparil, who had a "doomednum" (that's what the source calls them) of 7 will have doomednum 7007 in Eternity.

For pure Heretic format maps, you would still use 7 as usual. The engine auto-converts pure Heretic maps to the hybrid Eternity format at run-time, so it changes 7 to 7007 automatically in that case.

If you, however, want to make an "Eternity" format map and have complete use of all DOOM/BOOM/MBF/SMMU features in a Heretic map, you would use the new remapped thing numbers, etc, and set a variable in the MapInfo for the map indicating that it should not be converted. It'll probably look something like this:

convertmap = false

This is pretty simple, it just needs documentation and config files for popular editors. When the time comes for official Heretic support, I may try to elicit the creation of these config files by other people in the community -- so if you're interested in that, please keep an eye out ^_^

Black Void said:

Two questions:

Where can I find the names of the monsters to summon?

Secondly, totally off subject, but where can I get a list of the things to summon?

You can kind of kill 2 birds with one stone here. Start a Zdoom session and bring down the console.

Type

logfile log.txt

That will start a file (called log.txt) that will record any message printed to the Zdoom console.

now type

dumpclasses actor

That will print a list of all the possible actors that Zdoom supports to the console, and to your log file.

Now open up your log file and browse through the entries. Some will be obvious, some are a bit more obscure, and require a bit of working out. Remember, this includes all actors, including things like projectiles and items with special functions. Such items were not meant to be spawned as static items, and will behave oddly. They may even cause a crash. However, monsters, pick ups, decoration items and so on should all spawn and behave perfectly.

Quasar - adding 7000 to the doomednum - A neat, simple solution. Sounds interesting.