Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batandy

Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

Hey Batandy, I finished the demo yesterday and wanted to leave some feedback.

I love the new weapons. In the first game I found the pistol to be worthless because it was inaccurate and extremely weak. The 1911 on the other hand is very accurate and packs enough of a punch to be worthwhile even after getting the assault rifle. The Star-blaster thing is a massive step up too and the note launcher is the best rocket launcher replacement since exploding projectile ducks. All the other weapons feel good to use.

The levels in this demo were okay. My preferred look for maps involves lush scenery and bright colours, like the first map of beta0.1 or starry night from GS1 so the first two maps of the demo being in an arid landscape and in a ghost house did not appeal to me. The maps were fun to play, though, so you've hit the most important goal :D. Out of the three, I liked the portside paradise one the most, even with the FPS issues.

OMG Soaring Comet. I beat the demo on this difficulty and I love it. When I first tried it I saw the unfair difficulty warning and thought "shit, this is going to be enemies with stupidly high health and attacks that hit like thermonuclear blasts." Well, I'm glad that only the second one of those statements was true. Making the game more difficult by giving the enemies more dangerous attacks is definitely the way to go.

The music is good, GJ.

In the first level you can get out of bounds by jumping up the first ledge, then onto a cactus, and then up to the cliff.

Excellent work Batandy, I'm waiting for the next demo with bated breath.

Heh, glad to hear that people are liking the "Soaring Comet" difficulty, i was a bit worried that people might not appreciate it, instead it's the opposite!
Yeah i didn't want to mess with the health pool of the enemy because, if there's one thing that i've learned from GS1 (but also fps games like Bioshock Infinite) is that bullet sponge enemies are boring. Expect just a few high health enemies in this sequel.

Same thing for the weapons, making pistols weak is a common habit even for the latest games, i didn't want that, i wanted a good backup weapon, that becomes even better if you unlock the golden variant in the full game.

Yeah i don't like the desert maps because i prefer the bright, colorful maps too, but i just had to put a desert world in this game, and i hope people will like the new desert level that are actually pretty different from what you'd see in a mario game.
Thanks for telling me about that issue with map07, i'll fix it asap :P

Batandy said:

Heh, glad to hear that people are if there's one thing that i've learned from GS1 (but also fps games like Bioshock Infinite) is that bullet sponge enemies are boring.

Yep, I had edited my own copy to 1. increase weapon damage slightly all over the board and 2. seriously nerf the plants.

Speaking of bullet sponges, that the Shadowcaster plants are invulnerable when not attacking is kind of annoying. It might be worth it to change them to just taking half damage or something.

Speaking of weapons, I preferred the over-under shotgun to its replacement, it was more unique than yet another side-by-side.

Gez said:

Yep, I had edited my own copy to 1. increase weapon damage slightly all over the board and 2. seriously nerf the plants.

Speaking of bullet sponges, that the Shadowcaster plants are invulnerable when not attacking is kind of annoying. It might be worth it to change them to just taking half damage or something.

Speaking of weapons, I preferred the over-under shotgun to its replacement, it was more unique than yet another side-by-side.

Well, once you get used to the plants they are actually quite easy to deal with, just approach them close quarters so they attack you and blast them with the shotty

Batandy said:

Well, once you get used to the plants they are actually quite easy to deal with,

Surely it's not difficult to kill it. But that's not what is annoying about it. The annoying thing is the relatively long time it takes, which gets tedious particularly because it's not difficult to do, instead it's about repeating a certain pattern all over again and that's worse than unsatisfying.

Alright, i changed it so basically when they do not attack you kill them with 3 double shotgun shots, so, waiting for them to sprout is the best way to go to take them out, but still, once you'll get the TrumpetBluss they'll not be a problem anymore since you just one shot them

Golden Souls 2 is a big deal, but not everybody is gonna be able to enjoy it without an expensive GZDOOM Entertainment System,
this is why i've decided to port the game to the GzDoom Portable handheld device.
It was a challenge because there were alot of limitations due to the 8 bit architecture of the console, instead of the usual 16 bit offered by regular GZDOOM, but i managed to pull it off, so, here it is, Golden Souls 2 Portable!
(Please remember to put batteries in your console!)

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0d6xb9jyb4m2nyb/GS2Portable.pk3

Don't know how to run the wad? Check this guide here:

Requires the latest GzDoom device, available here:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Captain Ventris said:

So someone's working on making that a real thing now, right? Because seriously that's amazing.

Well, it is a real thing :P

Took me 10 seconds to realize this was an April Fool. Clever, heh. :P

I'm kinda late, but ehh first post!

[ Intro ]
Live action background is always good.

*after ~10 min*
How much health he have?!?!

BTW he looks drunk.

I'm the only one who got it blurry? :/

Looks out of place.

Cacowards? Nop? Ok. Seriously i couldn't find first golden souls in any cacoward. ._. Or was it only relised this year?

[ The Land With No Name ]
Why game starts with heavy platforming? I'm sure, some people in here, dosn't even know what jump even mean. BTW this was the only level where i
didn't found all big coins.

To name a few. At first i noticed only few of them, bet when i searched for coins they poped up like lights on cristmass tree.

*faiding into distance*

Glowing water?

Out of every badass faces, you selected this one... Just why?

The line.

And i found nothing :[

Rocket jumped here and found only this. -.- you don't even know how disappointing this was.

[ Ardi Abode ]

Spend eternity searching for some uber-duper seacret. Thanks for the arrows, but they didn't stop me from checking every door.

You can tell, i was trying too hard to find some secrets.

Must have been some cool guy, if someone tried to resurrect him.

I passed this hole like 20 times. Well hidden.

Secret exit and no secret level?!?! ;-;

[ Port Paradise ]
This level was mostly fine. But for some reason this level made my 8gb ram look like 512mb. ._.

AssAssIn creed: doom version /w invisible walls (-.-*)

[ Shop ]

First thing i noticed

The error

Where is my secret?!?!

[ Other ]

This is offensive.

Looks more like sig than colt, to me.

Good news for you, map makers, the contest's deadline has been extended by one month!
The 1st of October will be the last day to submit your map!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVUzkPbmWQ

Darkness falls across the land, the midnight hour is close at hand
Creatures crawl in search of blood to terrorize y'all's neighbourhood... and play the new Golden Souls 2 DEMO!

3 ALL NEW spine chilling levels!

Try out the new score system!

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2jt8o6t68myzn2w/GoldenSouls2_Demo2_hfix1.pk3

Recommended Gzdoom Build:
X32
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom//gzdoom-g2.2pre-2230-g6b4aee2.7z

X64
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom//gzdoom-x64-g2.2pre-2230-g6b4aee2.7z

Dynamic lights (mostly subtractive lights) will not be displayed correctly on 2.3 builds due to recent light rendering changes,
the Gzdoom team has been notified of this issue

If you've played the demo, please answer this very short survey that will help me alot for developing new maps and stuff
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSebTkkRPA3tpRfBStgm8BsEW04XftDR7-ARdx0zCYOjBocMgw/viewform

Hey, I played the demo and I've done the survey but I thought I'd say something here too.

Thanks for putting out a new demo! I thoroughly enjoyed playing the three new maps and I beat them all on Soaring Comet.

Now, I know that Soaring Comet is meant to be the ultimate challenge, but there are a couple of places that I think were unreasonably difficult even so:
The flame orb room in the sunken ship. I had full health and 100 armor and this still took me around 30 attempts and I came out with one hit point. Basically, the homing effect on their shots is so strong that I was having no success at all with juking them, and there's no cover in that room, so I hid under one of the orbs, fired a preemptive note at the first orb, killed the other two as fast as I could, then shot the one I was under and ran away while it exploded. Even with all the cheese I could muster, I came out with one hit point.

The other place is the final battle on the second map. It makes you dive into the acid water, swim through a cave, and then pop up in front of two shyguys and a golem. Not too hard on anything but soaring comet I suppose, but on soaring comet the shyguys do massive damage, you aren't on full health because of the acid bath, and there's a wall behind you so even if you can juke a bit the bullets will explode and kill you anyway. I managed to survive by running into the room, getting a lucky shot on one of the shyguys before it fired, and then spazzing from one side of the room to the next shooting at the final shyguy. That victory felt more like luck than skill, and that's not what we want.

The rest of those two maps were pretty good, and the final map was excellent. I just kept finding secret exits, and in the end, finding the normal exit felt like a special accomplishment.

So, good work Batandy, keep it up but please no acid bath, that's just the worst.

Kept you waitin' huh? It's been a while, but you can now try a new DEMO of Golden Souls 2!

Try 3 NEW levels and two BRAND NEW weapons!
From the damp caves of Beautiful Bay, through the cold icicles of Rimy Residence, to the cozy skies of Strawberry Fields, there's plenty of content to give you a taste of the final release!

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cdjyga76v6ifdse/GoldenSouls2_Demo3.pk3

Tested with the official release of Gzdoom ( v3.2.1 )
https://zdoom.org/downloads

Mission Status
As you might know, Golden Souls 2 now rocks 38 completed maps, which is a bit more than the standard 32-map megawad.
Currently i'm working on the final area and boss of MAP38, the seventh castle, and will soon start working on World 8 "Hell", the last world. Yep, that's it, end of the line, only 5 more levels left to make.
There's still plenty of work to be done though, after those levels i'll have to go back and finish some secret levels left behind, rework some of the earlier levels so they fit better with the rest, add some small bonus areas and complete the Soaring Comet Difficulty.
Regardless, at this point i'm aware of the time required to complete these tasks, which brings me to the next point:
ETA
rpzSqrnl.jpg

Yes, i still can't give you an exact release date, but i know that i will be able to finish the mod this summer. The wait's almost over!
I would have never expected to work on this mod for 3 years, the original plan was to release it in 2016 so i'm a bit overdue, but it will be worth it. Thank you so much for the support!

Major Golden Souls 2 News!
This is a very special week for the gaming community, so let's start it the right way!

IT'S OUT!

Back when I released the first Golden Souls, i wasn't satisfied, because I've learned a lot and knew that I could do much more with the concept.
In fact, just a few weeks after the release I've created this logo and started dreaming about a sequel.
ebQVQNY.png
Today, after 4 years, I bring you this colossus of a mod, featuring more than 45 colorful and challenging levels.
Through the good times and the bad times, making this mod has been a huge part of my life, and I want to thank everyone who followed me and my works

for all these years.
I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!

Download:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2/downloads/goldensouls2-1-0

Please play with Gzdoom 3.4.1 or higher!

If there are bugs or issues I apologize, it's been pretty hard to test this, given how much time a single playthrough requires.
If you find something unusual, please post it here and I'll do my best to fix it in future patches.

Please spread the word to anyone who's playing GS2: The third coin in silhouette sunset is glitched, you can't get back on the main platform once you get it, please noclip out of it. It will be patched.TpePIr5.png

I'm really loving this mod so far. I'm on world 2, so I'm not too far in to it, but I really like the tweaks you made to the gameplay from the first. Making the jump way higher to compensate for Doom's slippery movement really improves platforming. Though I thought there were a few platforms that were very easy to slip off of, especially in "Oriental Garden." Having a ton of fun so far, can't wait to finish it.