Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eye_con

my first wad

well i created my first wad

i know its not really a good level it has all the points of a newbie map but its my first and i thought i would share

you start off in a cave and attack a big fortress with next to no health and msot of the ammo you have is from all the bodies, its pretty dumb as there are a million baddies and you and your pee shooter but yeah im a loser and had to tell everyone

im not done it yet as it needs alittle "fine" tuning as it almost stupidly hard most of the times i finished i was left with 1% health whicj says i need some more health, through out the level

i also need to change the textures and what not as everything is pretty much one color and everything kinda merges in to one, and i want to add a more things, after reveiwing it today i decided to add alot more stuff

i will post it later on

eye_con said:

most of the times i finished i was left with 1% health

Put a medikit just before the exit :b j/k

eye_con said:

it almost stupidly hard most of the times i finished i was left with 1% health

Sounds perfect! Release it now! Just don't start the next map with a poison pit if you're making an episode :)

eye_con said:

im not done it yet as it needs alittle "fine" tuning as it almost stupidly hard most of the times....

Avoid making it so difficult that players can only win by cheating. Always give the player a chance to win, however slim. Also, implementing skill levels makes your map playable by all types of players.

i also need to change the textures and what not as everything is pretty much one color and everything kinda merges in to one....

It's difficult to pull off a map using the same few textures. Insert some variations that will make the place look more architecturally appealing.

It sounds like you're on the right track to improve your work.

Sorry; I've been busy lately. I took a quick look at it, but it didn't really grab my attention. Will try to find some more time for it soon.

Grazza said:

Sorry; I've been busy lately. I took a quick look at it, but it didn't really grab my attention. Will try to find some more time for it soon.

Ok, I think you could like map04, it's quite hard.

I've taken another quick look, and maps 2, 3 and 4 all look great. (Map 1 was a bit simple, while I haven't looked at map 5 yet.) Certainly difficult enough. Gameplay reminds me somewhat of HR and STRAIN, but with more of DSV4's tendency to trap you in with a bunch of monsters (though in Riverge the monsters tend to be bigger and nastier - DSV4's traps were only really vicious with fast monsters).

I hope to report with some constructive comments (and maybe .lmps) before too long. My overall assessment will definitely be positive. One negative thing I noticed was an area in map 3 that you could innocently wander into and be unable to escape from (the area around the boat, or whatever it was). The puzzle in that same map struck me as irritating, rather than interesting. STRAIN had some similar puzzles, but they were generally to get some power-ups, rather than being essential to complete the level.

BTW, I don't think you'll be able to expect a favourable review from NoPoet...

Grazza said:

I've taken another quick look, and maps 2, 3 and 4 all look great. (Map 1 was a bit simple, while I haven't looked at map 5 yet.) Certainly difficult enough. Gameplay reminds me somewhat of HR and STRAIN, but with more of DSV4's tendency to trap you in with a bunch of monsters (though in Riverge the monsters tend to be bigger and nastier - DSV4's traps were only really vicious with fast monsters).

I hope to report with some constructive comments (and maybe .lmps) before too long. My overall assessment will definitely be positive. One negative thing I noticed was an area in map 3 that you could innocently wander into and be unable to escape from (the area around the boat, or whatever it was). The puzzle in that same map struck me as irritating, rather than interesting. STRAIN had some similar puzzles, but they were generally to get some power-ups, rather than being essential to complete the level.

BTW, I don't think you'll be able to expect a favourable review from NoPoet...

Glad you liked it :) The first map is sort of a intro level and therefore simple (The wad has sort of a story, doomguys wife is killed and he is going for a revenge).

I've used much more time to make the other levels. Something between 200 and 300 hours in total (hey, i'm a newbie). The puzzle was going to be a secret at start, but I decided to make it the only way. Maybe that was a mistake :( Well, I bellieve no one will stuck to it forever. And you can always use idclip, I dont mind :)

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by a "boat". I suppose you mean the train. Well there is no way out of the rails. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll try to fix the problem.

DooMer 4ever said:

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by a "boat". I suppose you mean the train.

Yes, the train. It doesn't really look like a boat, and it would have to be in drydock and on rails... Guess I wasn't studying the visuals too carefully.

Regarding the puzzle on map 3: I tend to think a puzzle is over the top if the quickest way to solve it is to write down on a piece of paper what each switch does, and from that determine the correct sequence.

I can well believe the 200-300 hours, though I'm not a map-maker myself.

VileSlay said:

some screenshots would be nice, if you got a place to host pics.

i don't have a site to host though im sure i could find one some where

i decided to change alot in the level but kept a back up of the original just cuz it was so stupidly hard and thats the way i like em.

i changed alot of the textures and have lowered the ceilings to allow for a more gloomier effect which helps alot, i also made it alot more in depth, unfortunately b/c im new it took me forever and a day to figure out how the remote switches and what not work but when i get home today ill see if i can get some screen shots and post em

its a pretty cool level by my thoughts

I guess I'm either too new or too dense, but where is your wad, DooMer 4ever? under another nick?

I'd suggest http://www.brinkster.com/ as a good choice for making a site (although if you get popular they may lock it for a bit when there's too much traffic, but that also happens to geocities, and brinkster doesnt have popups or ads.)

ravage said:

Oooh nice. I like. Got a sky tho? Jsut wonderin'.

no i need some good texture for that

eye_con said:

its kinda what the "base" looks like

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that looks more like a medieval fortress than a base.

Also, until you find a custom texture for the sky, why don't you just use the SKY1 texture?

DEMOn said:

I guess I'm either too new or too dense, but where is your wad, DooMer 4ever? under another nick?

It's not released yet. I sent some pre-releases of it for playtesting a time ago for all that were interested. If you're interested I can send you a copy too, just post your e-mail adress and you'll get in no time.

ReX said:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that looks more like a medieval fortress than a base.

Also, until you find a custom texture for the sky, why don't you just use the SKY1 texture?

well the tooth is it was originally alot different and as i changed it i neglected the sky, i'll get on it when i get home

DooMer 4ever said:

It's not released yet. I sent some pre-releases of it for playtesting a time ago for all that were interested. If you're interested I can send you a copy too, just post your e-mail adress and you'll get in no time.

I'd like to. opulent@cox.net
thanks!

Is there no other screenies?
I can really not see much on that one... :)

Torn said:

Is there no other screenies?
I can really not see much on that one... :)

i spent alittle time on it last night, that shot was taken right after i redesigned the level when i get home today i'll take a few more, im trying to populate it with the proper balance. thats alot harder than i had thought

i'll take more when i get home though