Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cactus

Can it be done?

Hello I am super-noob into doomworld and editing wad.
My question is can a picture like titlepic can be loaded in the whole screen of the player(like in regular doom2 intro)when I want during the wad via script or via dehacked or via something?

It s in order to create a kind of adventure doom game...whith story ,head pic of characters met into the game,introduction etc...

I don't think I really understand your question, but I'll try and answer it anyway.

You can replace the titlepic and the interpic (picture shown between 2 maps) using NTW.

hope it help, but I'm guessing it didn't. :(

I think i know what you mean, like instead of showing the menu when you hit esc..display the entire title pic...or between levels?
please specify

No, you can't display graphics directly to the screen from in game, at least not in any source port that I'm aware of.

Yes you can, simply press F1; the controls will pop up.
If you replace this picture with another picture (using NWT) you can make this other picture appear at anytime during the game by pressing F1...
...but I really don't see the use in that.

Of course you can do this. Set up a camera in a 'separate' sector that looks at a wall so that the wall fills the entire screen. I have done this a few times already - exactly for the same purpose (e.g. something like a cutscene). Because of the camera it requires ZDooM. (I can't believe I'm the first one to think of this - even Fredrik didn't know? ;-)

True, you can do that, but it's quite different from just showing a graphic on the screen. For one thing, it is hack, for another, you don't get the graphic to scale properly, and third, the graphic must cover the entire screen. You can't just add a layered decoration or menu (which I suspect would be useful for certain applications) this way.

The first time I saw that trick was in Tei Tenga btw.

Fredrik and Csabo: Randy's support for custom fonts in ZDoom covers this quite well. Read up on it in the phorums. It's much more flexible, in that you can have full-screen graphics (or just large ones centered and filling most of the screen) or HUD-like graphic placement.

Hey, cool. I knew that it was coming, but I didn't know it was in ZDoom yet. Thanks for telling!

yes i thought at cam effect....
But I didn't think someone have done this before
you re pretty smart,and it proves it can be done!!!
COOL

My guess is that Tei Tenga was probably the first to use a camera change pointed at a wall as a cutscene (the shuttle flying sequence). Anyone think of anything earlier?

AFAIK, Tei Tenga was the first wad to use this camera-cut-scene thing.

Fredrik said:

No, you can't display graphics directly to the screen from in game, at least not in any source port that I'm aware of.

Eternity had this ability under FraggleScript and will soon have it again under Small. I just have to rewrite the system slightly to work with the new language. And when I do that, I'm going to redesign the way it works altogether, to make it better.

Among the things I am contemplating adding are automatically formatted dialog boxes, and status-bar-font number widgets. The latter will be especially useful for creating totally scripted player stats that need to be shown on the screen.