Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Little help here!

So i will finally be getting a computer, a loaner, today or tomorrow and i want to begin building my levels, in the past i had no problem with DoomEd, except that every time i made a door sector, it never worked, it seemed so easy to make a door in DEU but i was never able to test it...

so my question is, what is the most user-friendly, least complex editor, or which one has best readme support, cause while I am slow at these things, I can catch on pretty quick as long as i have good documentation, I mean i think i could figure out pretty easily how to tag sectors for traps and switches etc...i downloaded DEU and wadauthor, what about those.

And another question, say i like one editor better for a certain thing, you could easily load a level between the two could you not, I don't see why that would be a problem unless only one supported advanced features in the level, right?

Comments appreciated.

You can use different editors on one wad.

I learned making wads using DEU. But DEU has limits. Now I moved on to DCK. It's not perfect, but it works similar to DEU so it's easy to use if you already know how to work with DEU. DCK is also easier to use than DEU. Example: You don't have to make points, connect them and select them in order to make a sector; you just draw some lines and DCK automaticly makes a sector out of it.

Anyway, if you have some specific questions about DCK feel free to ask.

DCK. ALthough you'd need to go into pure DOS for it. Plenty of help there, and you could basically just teach yourself it's that easy. Worked for me. I never could get the hang of those others, WadAuthor, and DeePSea.

I actually prefer DOS over unstable windows..I will dl dck and you guys can playtest my wads, thanks for all the help guys everyone here's cool, hey ravage, nice avatar ;)

Xanthier said:

I actually prefer DOS over unstable windows..I will dl dck and you guys can playtest my wads, thanks for all the help guys everyone here's cool, hey ravage, nice avatar ;)

When you want to get around to playing doom source ports like zdoom, you'll need Windows, so don't give up on clearing up any problems your computer may have. WadAuthor might be the simplest Windows wad editor to use, menus intuitive in the same way most Microsoft products are. You can get plenty of help here to put you "over the hump" with WadAuthor or DeePsea and those editors, especially DeePsea, have more functionality I'm pretty sure. DCK doesn't edit/compile/insert scripts, does it?

I'm with Biff here. If you want to edit for a source port you're better off with a windows-based editor such as WadAuthor, DeepSea, or XWE. Of these, only XWE is free. But both WadAuthor and DeepSea are available on a trial basis, and both are excellent.

Those editors are probably fine, but I have no problems running DETH on Windows (though I also use XWE for on the fly changes and other things, and DeuTex for massive builds or extractions.) And there's also HETH and ZETH for Hexen and zdoom users.

If you want to use DCK, use version 2.2-f (see our utilities section here at Doomworld), as later versions are supposedly less stable. DCK has indeed the most user-friendly interface, so it doesn't have much of a learning curve. At least in my case, I was able to switch from Edmap to DCK in just a few days.

I had a much harder time switching from DCK to Deep97/-sea. Less intuitive, although it comes with good documentation. Once you've got the basics of level editing covered and want more, I do suggest switching to Deepsea as it has more/better support for custom things (such as custom flats / textures, source port support).

But as always: choose the level editor that feels right for you.

Another good thing about version 2.2 is that it's freeware instead of shareware. All the features can be used in this version. The reason why I use 3.62 is because it's the only version that edits Hexen maps.

well im brand new into the editing thing and i use wad author

:as i hide very far away as fear from flaming