Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

definition of TC and Megawad?

The terms TC and Megawad are used frequently around here, but it seems not everyone means the same thing.

Two questions:
1. What is the definition of a Total Conversion?
The name implies that all sprites/ textures would have to be replaced, but this often not the case. How many new textures must be replaced for a wad to be called a TC?

2. What is the definition of a Megawad?
The name implies that it contains 1 million :-/ (or at least 32) new levels. Is this correct?

th@ñ×

Total Conversion is like when everything is replaced. IE Batman Doom.

A Partial Conversion is when some things are replaced, like the weapons or some monsters.

A megawad is usually a term to describe a 32 level conversion or a 4 episode conversion but with no other changes (except maybe some new stuff like new decorations or textures).

A megawad is a wad which contains all new maps/levels, although the graphics/sounds etc are usually those of regular Doom.

A TC(total conversion) technically should be a wad which replaces everything in Doom(sprites/sounds/maps). This is almost never the case however.
Normally when people speak of a TC they are referring to a wad which contains a lot of new stuff(though not everything) and which gives a completely different feel to the game.

Disclaimer: these are my opinions, not those of the Doom community ;)

I tend to call what I'm working on for Hexen an expansion, although some people call it a TC. It only replaces a couple of things, but it adds many totally new ones.

You're right that the usage of these terms is not entirely standard or consistent. Here's what I mean by them (and a few other related terms):

Megawad: all maps replaced (32 for a Doom2 megawad; 36 for an Ultimate Doom megawad). Examples: MM, AV, 2002ADO, etc., etc.
Episode: several maps replaced (6 or more?). Examples: Dark 7, Death Tormention II, Equinox, Darkening.
Total Conversion: All graphics replaced (or at least none of the graphics from the IWAD are used). Monster and/or weapon characteristics may also be changed. Examples: Hacx, Aliens TC.
Partial Conversion: Some or many graphics replaced, and also some monster and/or weapon characteristics changed. Example: STRAIN.
Mod: something that changes the overall behaviour of the game in some way. Example: Skulltag.

Note that these terms are not mutually exclusive. STRAIN is both a PC and a megawad, for example. Some people use the term megawad for what I would describe as a large episode, while TC is used by some people to describe any megawad.

so what if a wad holds 85 percent new material, but keeps around various doom textures and objects? Could that technically be a Total conversion even though the conversion isn't total?

skadoomer said:

so what if a wad holds 85 percent new material, but keeps around various doom textures and objects?

As m0l0t0v indicated, "the name implies that all sprites/ textures would have to be replaced, but this often not the case". Many "TCs" will insert new textures, sprites, sounds, music, graphics, etc., but not necessarily replace existing DooM elements. So long as the original DooM elements are not used in the maps, it doesn't matter that they are not replaced.

Additionally, I've seen (and created) a number of conversions where the occasional DooM textures and elements are used because they fit. I see no point in replacing elements that work well in your wad.

In the end, it all boils down to semantics. There are nearly total conversions and partial conversions that rock, and total conversions that are crap. If we start nit-picking about a so-called TC not being a "true" TC, then we probably will enjoy it less than it deserves.

Hmm, good, practice for my oncoming DOOM dictionary/reference.

A conversion is when you transform DOOM's theme and looks into something else, like Batman, Aliens, some other movie, some comic, Hacx, characters and monsters you created, etc. The term was 1st used for Aliens TC (and is actually part of the name of the project) then other designers used it from there. Aliens TC was a "total" conversion because Fisher wanted to include everything he could from the movie, excluding anything about DOOM but not necessarily the artwork and sounds, if they fit in (the fact that DOOM's artwork and theme is in many respects aliens-like probably encouraged him, even.) As for "partial," this is vague and is simply an extension of the naming Fisher used for Aliens TC. It just means a certain part of DOOM's theme is changed, like making DOOM occur in a western scenario, for instance, or making a new set of enemies, but it's still appropiate to define it as "DOOM" even if the story is changed a whole lot. It's not really a 'serious' definition, as I see it, just a middling, vague term.

A megawad is simply a large WAD, with many maps, that is. The idgames definition seems to be something like 20 or more maps. That seems reasonable.

As for an episode you have DOOM's 9 level-sets, or WADs replacing one or more of these sets (sometimes not using up the secret level.) Some people say "mini-episode" when talking about a smaller set of maps. A DOOM II episode is defined by the sky used for it and the text appearing when it ends and is about 10 maps long, in WADs this term has been used for separate WADs with about 10 maps, Darkening for instance.

I will say 11 maps is more like a "episode", because the sky changed after the last map... :)

That sounds about right cause death red sky starts at 21 Nirvana and i think the others are this way plus in all there are 30 actual levels so that would make sense.

The "Episodes" of Doom2 are:

The starport: Levels 1-11.
(Entering the starport: Levels 1-6.)
(Shutting down the force field: Levels 7-11.)

The ruined cities: Levels 12-20.

The assault on hell: Levels 21-30.

"Old Friends": Levels 31-32.