Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archaeo

Mod?... What is all this jargon? Ugh!

I know you are thinking that I should just read the whole zdoom web site but I’m just a little to impatient and I Just don’t understand all that jargon. All I need to know is how to use a mod for zdoom. I’m not even sure what a mod is yet. I am using Cdex to convert cd and wav music into something to put into a mod but I don’t know how to use a mod. Do I put it into the doom wad or what?

Hiya.

A "mod" is either:

1) a form of music format, like wav or mid, but better quality.

2) short for "modification"; generally refering to a modification of the game engine/assets (ex: changing all the sounds in DOOM to ones that have been recorded from various Simpsons episodes from TV).

pming said:

Hiya.

A "mod" is either:

1) a form of music format, like wav or mid, but better quality.

2) short for "modification"; generally refering to a modification of the game engine/assets (ex: changing all the sounds in DOOM to ones that have been recorded from various Simpsons episodes from TV).

How do I get my game to use the mod or mods?

Are you kidding? Just in case, a mod is composed either of a WAD, a modified engine, or a patch, like a DeHackEd patch, or a combination of these. I think mod may be a word more often used for other games. Anyway it's generally an addon that is not just new maps and textures like pming said.

No! I’m not kidding. I use to Make doom TC’s, but that was five years ago. Most of the terms that neo doomers are using are new to me.

Bah, never mind my other post. Do a google search on mod or on one of those generic download sites for an app that makes mods. You can convert recorded music into this format and zdoom can read it. But it also reads mp3s, I think, though mods are more acceptable for the idgames archive.

Thanx for the advice. Evryone tells me that doomworld will reject my wads if it has mp3’s in them

The idgames Archive where people upload to would (Doomworld doesn't normally host PWADs.) I hear that zdoom also supports the OGG format, which has better quality than the MOD and probably isn't a problem at the Archive.

Archaeo said:
Evryone tells me that doomworld will reject my wads if it has mp3’s in them

You can't upload anything to Doomworld, because we don't host third-party add-ons (except for hosted sites' stuff and our own files section, of course). The link to 'levels' on our main page refers to the Doom archive at ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/ . That is the place to upload your levels and other stuff. Please refer to the readme.txt in the /idgames root for instructions on how to upload stuff, and for the rules.

One of those rules is that 3Darchives doesn't allow you to upload WAD/MODs that contain MP3 files.

Hope this helps,