Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kulma

doom-pong

have any of you peeps tried out Q-Pong? it was the most fun i've had with the quake2 engine, ever. well, of course it got very little appreciation, as all good things in life. but anyways, to make the point a blank one:

is there a coder out there that'd start developing a DooM-Pong? i'd be ready to make some maps for it, but i've never done any software code, so it's quite intimitating to pick up a project like this as my first one...

if you have no idea what is this Q-Pong thing, check out a review:
http://www.planetquake.com/modcentral/reviews/qpongrev.htm
the original team reaction Q-Pong site seems to be closed.

peace and (heart)beats.

I've enjoyed Qpong for quake2 and quake3.
it is a lot of fun, and a good less-than-serious break from tournament play of most LANs.
recommended as a good quake-server distraction...
I don't see this converting to DOOM very well.

yeah, i noticed a bit later it's also for q3, i've just never played q3.

Opulent said:

I don't see this converting to DOOM very well.

ummh, why? well you guessed it right, i don't know a damn about the doom engine (code- and modding-wise), but i can't see any reason why it wouldn't work and be fun on the doom platform.

bloody conservative prejudiced people.

kulma said:

ummh, why? well you guessed it right, i don't know a damn about the doom engine (code- and modding-wise), but i can't see any reason why it wouldn't work and be fun on the doom platform.

bloody conservative prejudiced people.

Well, it'd be very hard to code (Maybe not for skulltag, tho) and the engine doesn't really allow for knocking stuff around too much.

Trasher][ said:
Well, it'd be very hard to code (Maybe not for skulltag, tho) and the engine doesn't really allow for knocking stuff around too much.

so, uh, when you shoot at a fellow opponent with a rocket and the gibs fly across the level, that's not knocking stuff around? i think the player itself gets knocked around bloody a lot. and i think the engine already figures out where the blast came from, so it'll knock it in the right direction. all it'd need is a round sprite that would change it's direction when hit with a pellet/rocket/plasma, and then some "goal" sectors, and a spawn point for the balls.
well, the physics of the ball can be a bit more tricky.
bleh, this is beginning to sound like i'm doing it myself, it's just someone with more experience could do it in a week or a month, i'm going to take atleast a year. if this honestly, really, is impossible with the doom engine, please tell me and point out the reasons WHY so.

Someone once made a soccer game for Doom. He said it was an absolute hell to code. Still it did turn out quite neat.

Still the main problem is that Doom's "physics engine" (if it can be said to have such) frankly suck! One problem is that while it is possible to knock things about a bit it is not possible to make them bounce. If a thing hit a wall, even if it's at a curved angle, it will not be deflected but simply stop. Neither is it possible to make things bounce off floors and ceilings.

Pong without bouncing balls would suck. That's the reason.

QPong was crazy fun in q2, but i could almost never find anyone to play it with :( Now that one of my friends has q2, we SHOULD be able to, but i have no idea where the railgun project* went.

*They're a group of people who convert q2 mods to mac

Little Faith said:

Someone once made a soccer game for Doom. He said it was an absolute hell to code. Still it did turn out quite neat.

any idea who was it or where could i get in contact with that fellow? i can't believe soccer on the computer would be neat, and made with the doom engine even less so. if you want a neat soccer game get a ball.

Still the main problem is that Doom's "physics engine" (if <cut>
Pong without bouncing balls would suck. That's the reason.

uh, why isn't it possible? why did someone start to make a doom soccer if he knew the ball wouldn't bounce? or do you know this impossible-to-bounce stuff 'cos he tried it out? and i think bouncing off the walls would be sufficient enough, the floor and ceiling would be a bonus.

Have you fools ever heard of Nick Perrin?

Here I am!

And DoomPong will be an incredibly easy-to-make
game! It will have to use the sourceport EDGE, though.

Kulma, e-mail me up(e-mail is below, in signature), and
you'll do the levels and I'll do the code. Since the
original doom game won't be changed much, just some levels
and a Pong ball added (and perhaps new weapons for some variety, maybe even the quake 2 ones) I should be able to help without
losing much time on the BIG project I'm working on right now
(check my site below for details, where I can also host the
DoomPong mod).

It should turn out pretty fun!!

Little Faith said:

Still the main problem is that Doom's "physics engine" (if it can be said to have such) frankly suck! One problem is that while it is possible to knock things about a bit it is not possible to make them bounce. If a thing hit a wall, even if it's at a curved angle, it will not be deflected but simply stop. Neither is it possible to make things bounce off floors and ceilings.

In a weapon wad (can't remember the name) there was a grenade launcher that fired grenades that bounched from the ground.

DooMer 4ever said:

In a weapon wad (can't remember the name) there was a grenade launcher that fired grenades that bounched from the ground.

HELL YEAH! skulltag grenade launcher anyone?

Little Faith said:

I believe the person you're referring to was Boingo the Clown. He posted here some last year or early this year, can't remember. I never had the chance to play Soccer Doom.