Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Saving Settings?

How do you save settings in ZDoom 2.0? Every time I change them, then quit and come back, the defaults are there again.

zdoom2 doesn't use .cfg.

I don't know how it works with win9x--you should ask Randy about that, but with NT it saves a zdoom.ini in your profiles directory. (for win2k and xp that would be like c:\documents and settings\username\application data\)

If you use NT then you should remove the original zdoom.cfg and zdoom.ini from your zdoom directory.

You can use a CFG file, just use -config zdoom.cfg. I'm not sure if the new version will translate an old CFG though (I don't remember if I set everything manually or used a 1.22 CFG file as a base), try it.

Zdoom 2.0 now uses a new ini file and places it at each windows users local place somewhere in the windows directory, you can ask randy where you can find it and change it there.

What I'm saying is that you can use the -config parameter to place it wherever you want and to call it what you like. In addition, it might be capable of reading info from an old CFG file (unverified.)

Zdoom supports files with both ini and cfg extensions, but they have different functions.

ini files have replaced the old zdoom.cfg file. For a great part of ver 1.23's developement, the old zdoom.cfg file was replaced with a zdoom.ini file. Randy recently changed how this works so that zdoom.ini is no longer saved in the Zdoom directory, but in a directory for user settings as dictated by the system. eg in win '98 it's in c:\windows\application data by default. People didn't like this, and so Randy has even more recently changed things so that the ini file is saved in the zdoom dir, but gets the name of the logged in used attached to it. eg mine is called zdoom-Nigel R. Rowand.ini

You can still use the -config parameter to specify any ini file though. Also, if you put a zdoom.ini file in your Zdoom directory, this will be read the first time you run Zdoom, and any settings in there will be transferred to the ini with your name appended. From that point on, the named ini is used.

cfg files are used to execute commands as zdoom starts. A lot of console commands (eg key bindings and aliases) can be set up this way. If you want a cfg file to be run every time you start zdoom, call it autoexec.cfg or you can call it anything you want, and run it like this

zdoom +exec mycfg.cfg

where mycfg.cfg is the name of the config file.