Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraviolet

Let's see if this one works...

In reference to: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11329

I wanted to deliver my pseudo-critique on the screenshots, but the thread is closed (for good reason, I read). Since I have no assurance that VampiraJay will check her private messages (I know I've never even looked at that feature), I have posted this thread. This thread should NOT be a continuation of the discussion on criticism that occured in the last. This thread should be for positive feedback and mapping-tips only. The following is what I sent in a private message to VampiraJay.

Contrary to what a bunch of people said, GL lighting is a good way to increase the mood/immersion of a map.

As far as detail goes: http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/bio4.jpg - The ceiling is cracking up. You've done well to represent that, but you might make the ceiling heights differ a bit to really complete the effect. You might also add some space between the ceiling and the walls so some of that glow from the (blood, is it?) above can hit the wood. IMHO, you could remove about half of the candles from the center of that room as well. Less is more, right? :P

Also, I second everything Linguica said about using "lips" as a means of transition between unlike textures.

The hell theme seems to me to be the hardest one to map. It can be so abstract, and the guidelines are so few. You've done a pretty good job, considering.

For some additional ideas, you might look at some Pablo Dictter wads. He does a lot of skin/snakes themed hell-stuff.

So uh... let's see if this thread can stay friendly. Or get helled. Whatever.

Since I've just now discovered that JDoom can use colored sectors (the only Doomsday engine I've used is .996 for Hexen), that door in the second screen shot gave me an idea. How about a stained glass effect? In other words, have that door and all the sectors in that room be red, and when you open the door, the sectors become normal colored until the door closes again (unless it stays open).

By the way, does JDoom use translucent walls?

What I mean by translucent is a wall that would normally be solid, instead you'd be able to see through it partially, like JDoom's version of the spectre or the ghost effect in Heretic and Hexen.

Heh, Hot positive comments, slackens the guard for next ones, badly stated full blown negative ones strike hard and blows her guard away.

Sorry for the outcome.

OK. never mind, good levels for a newcomers, and I hope to see this levels and more from her, do not mind the negative comments and go on your good job.

I think I understand you, I had made some great levels and posted them to somewhere to see their opinions but recieved, "well, not bad." or "good." or "Hmm." and it really dumped my vigour, until I gave up and uploaded them to 3DArchive and Liam the bard saw them and praised them a lot, now I am making some other levels. ;-)

Sphagne: The aforementioned thread is not the topic of this one, only a point of reference for the SCREENSHOTS. Leave the rest out of it, please.

I think the lighting in those screenies set the mood rather well.

I need to re-download uw1.zip...the last one got corrupted somehow :\

And I just wonder how Doomworld will react when I finally release a map :P

First off, I'll state that I don't know why BBG closed that other thread, it was cleaning itself up and didn't particularly need to be closed.

But now for the bulk of this post...

Personally, I don't like the orange lighting in it. Other people seem to love it though.

The architecture is good for newbie architecture. Better than some of the architecture in my Doom Arcade mod. I can't really point out how to make it better as I'm not a detail whore myself. Other people have pointed out how to make it better though.

And don't take criticism harsly. Ever. My first release to the Doom community only got comments from one person (ReX of The Darkest Hour fame) when I was expecting heaps more. Next thing I released was Doom Arcade. First (or first few) attempts will never be your greatest works. I've got something infinitely better than Doom Arcade sitting on my hard drive screaming out to be finished. Keep going at it and you will get better (unless you're a certain someone from my class who's just as clueless now as he was at the beginning of the year).

That is all.

Ichor said:

By the way, does JDoom use translucent walls?

I've spoken to Jaakko (Doomsday engine creator) about this - he's planning on implementing it in the same way as he does with transluscent sprites (at this point, you can change opacity on any sprite - i'm thinking about using it on Lost Souls for our wads).

However, we probably won't see it added for some time.

Firstly, Thank you all, especially Ultra-Violet :) this is much apreciated :)

ok, i better reply to everyone...i'll do it in reverse ok?

GooberMan : I requested that BBG close that thread for me and he kindly did. Thank you for your honesty about what you didn't like, is there anything you did like though?

mmnpsrsoskl : I am not sure why your uw1.zip got corupted, it may have been our fault :/ reznor.demon.co.uk/uw1.zip reznor.demon.co.uk/olympus.zip is Spike's teaser map if you want that to. Also, what engine are you building for?

Ichor : Do you mean a wall that you can see through completly, but it is partally transparent (like Duke Nukem walls) or walls with bits cut out of so you can see through them? The first I don't think is possible with Jdoom but I am sure Spike will look into it in the future (he does all the XG data scripting)

Sphagne : Thank you for you words of encouragement, again, very grateful for it all :)

Ichor said:
What I mean by translucent is a wall that would normally be solid, instead you'd be able to see through it partially, like JDoom's version of the spectre or the ghost effect in Heretic and Hexen.

Uh, that's what I ment.

I think it is possible but not sure how, with contacting Jaakko and asking for a full explaination on how it works I won't know either, sorry, but i think the answer is yes it's possible in theory but not in practise :/

Vampirajay said:

is there anything you did like though?

The architecture was a good attempt for someone new to mapping (the third screenshot has been pointed out to be the best of the lot and I agree - I'm assuming that area will be some kind of demon ambush/trap point?)

Well, I just saw the new screenshots. I have to admit, they are much better than the other pics. Same room right?

Hmmm, that one pic of the hallway with the red teleporter (no glares) could use a bit more detail, maybe crossbeams on the ceiling, or some grating with blood underneath. Your call though. :)

It's the new bio4.jpg.

Gooberman - yes, that will be an entry point for teleporting enemies.

Jay handed these areas over to me for ideas. In that main room, i've stepped in the floors and ceilings for some variety, and added ceiling support struts around the teleporter. I've also removed most of the candles.

Ravage - I've actually updated that hallway. It now has ceiling crossbeams and supports. The torch-spots are now stepped up/down from the floor and ceiling, and i've added more torches around the teleporter - with the same 'steps' - for more illumination and eye-candy.