Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dieKatze88

Does Anybody have this?

Microsoft Did A Port Of Doom At One Point, i beleve it was for windows 3.1... i remember hearing where i could get it, but i cant find it? does anybody know what happened to it, or where i can get it?

It was for Windows 95 and came with its own DirectX partial install.

You can get it from the Doom95 directory on idsoftware ftp mirrors.

It's not recommended for Windows NT users to use this port (NT, 2K, XP)

And why is it "not recommended"? Last I heard the problem it had was that a file is missing in the Collector's Edition for it (messing up the mouse support), but installing doom95 shareware will add it.

Windows 3.1? Heh.

I don't like it much myself, but it's better as a port than most other "ports" in many ways. Not that I'm dissing user-made source engines or anything. Except that it does seem rather outdated and pretty useless if what Fredrik says is true since it's altogether pointless to use it unless one doesn't have Windows 9* or DOS but is still using a Microsoft OS.

Doom95 is perfect to playback vanilla doom demos with. I never had any compatibility issues with it and it's really sweet to see those really old demos in higher res now!

It'll play back almost any demo recorded with The Ultimate DOOM's engine, but will most likely desynch on the older doom/doom2 engine demos if there's Lost Souls or on the Final DOOM's engine if there's teleporters. Prboom beats doom95 for watching v1.9 demos, in general, and has even more screen resolution options without any flaws.

I have:

ZDoom, Legacy, Boom, VaVoom, EDGE, jDoom, prBoom, ZDaemon, SkullTag, and Doom 95.

I prefer to use prBoom over Doom 95. Helper dogs. =D And it syncs better than Doom 95. But my preferred port is ZDoom, and then Legacy.

Hm, I need to download more ports.

Zdoom and Jdoom for me. Doom95 doesn't like my screen driver (whenever I try the colours are messed up).

I might want to get prboom again because some maps seem to run better on it than zdoom.

I never really got into legacy and Edge.