Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

QUAKECON PRESS RELEASE !! AAAGGHHH

Well there hasn't been any tech demo released though... fuck it.

Doom.

*slight twitch under left eye*

Doom !

*severe twitching*

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !

*dies*

1st off...

QUAKE 4??? WILL IT NEVER END??? ARRRRGHGGGHGHGGGHHHH GRRRRRRR STAY AWAY FROM MY BONE STRANGE DOG!

2cd off...

Dima seemed to, for the most part, know what he was talking about. Gotta hand it to him.

Here's a little bit more info:

(From Shacknews): As expected, id showed some more footage of the new Doom game as an introduction of John Carmack's talk. It was a mix of new and MacWorld footage, and unfortunately, we couldn't tape it. However, it did look simply amazing, very dark and gritty, but also more colorful than the footage from MacWorld. Since Carmack already held a talk on the Doom engine last year, the focus this year was more on the graphics acceleration side of things. He has a pretty good idea on where graphics are going in the next 5 years, and talked about advances when it comes to graphics cards, up to the point where you can get Pixar server-farm kind of graphics on a single card. And the problems with getting Doom to support the various OpenGL extensions by all the videocard makers.
During the Q&A session there were a few minor new Doom things. Graeme Devine is programming the sound engine, which will have full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound support. And while Carmack wasn't totally convinced about XBox support last year, he seemed to be more enthustiastic this year. There will be an Xbox port of the game supporting pretty much everything the PC version will have to offer but due to the 64mb on the Xbox, the missions will probably be cut up differently.

One of the issues raised was on violence and the amount of gore / blood in Doom with Columbine and lawsuits happening and such. At this point Todd Hollenshead started to look a bit nervous, and Carmack pretty much assured everyone the lawsuits don't effect their design decisions at all and there will be plenty of gore in the new Doom. This was shown during "bathroom scene" of the Doom engine, where blood was smeared all over the tiles, and a body got torn up by one of the monsters.

Also, although there's no official contract yet, there's a verbal agreement with Trent Reznor to provide music and sounds. Steve will add more to this story in a little while.

Ummmh, Dima was bitching about a playable test for the press, not a 2nd tech video (real-time or not).

And the Quake4 thinguie was raised by a UK magazine, not him. Finally, the Quest project is being done by Nerve, and not some "next project" of id like the russian rumour said.

So what man, Dima was still pretty close, and it wasnt HIM, he said his source told him, and it fucking had to be translated through BABELONIAN, which probably fucked things up, becuase BABELFISH dont work correctly, and Además, el pescado de Babel tiende a los res arregla sentencias y fuck los encima de así que usted no los entiende, y el dont incluso traduce a veces completamente sentencias, como ésta! ... lol

WOW! Babelfish is HORRIBLE at translating, like I said!

Here is an exaple:

IN ENGLISH>>

Besides, Babel Fish tends to re arrange sentences and fuck them up so you do not understand them, and sometimes dont even fully translate sentences, like this one!

TRANSLATED TO SPANISH>>

Además, el pescado de Babel tiende a los res arregla sentencias y fuck los encima de así que usted no los entiende, y el dont incluso traduce a veces completamente sentencias, como ésta!

BACK TO ENGLISH>>

In addition, the fish of Babel tends the head of cattle fixes to sentences and fuck upon so you do not understand them, and dont even translates sometimes completely sentences, like this one!

I DONT ONCE REMEMBER MENTIONING "TENDING THE HEAD OF CATTLE".. LOL, STUPID MACHINE TRANSLATIONS...

Still, looks like Dima's getting banned, if we take a look at the rules of The Dima Challenge!

Zaldron:

A. Actually, I wrote in the forum a day or so before QuakeCon started that the new doom game will be shown on QuakeCon 2001 in a non playable form (in other words - in video).

This information was confirmed to me by EvilJohn from the QuakeCon crew.

Also, the test version of DOOM for the press will probably not get to my source at all but MIGHT still be available for press (available - not shown on ECTS).

B. The Quake 4 thingie was first raised by me but the topic of the actual developer of the game was first raised by a UK Magazine.

C. My source messed up a bit, still, not big deal, he was basically right.