Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom Turns Nine

Well, I'm not sure if Ling wants me to do this, but he's not around and it's past midnight, so I'd just like to quickly make note that the game we all know and love is nine years old today. As is the usual for a birthday update, I'll just go over some of the history of Doom to the best of my knowledge. Feel free to post comments such as your first time playing Doom, fondest memories, the times it scared the crap out of you and the like.

So of course the release was in 1993. Doom pretty much revolutionized first person shooter games when it came out. Not only was the world truly immersive, but finally free of right angles and single floor and ceiling heights. Everything about it pushed the limits of games at the time. On top of that, people found ways to build levels, add new graphics, change the sounds, add new music and create entirely new games on their own. People found ways to push the limits of the engine that id had never imagined. It even got a few people jobs in the industry. Another first time aspect of the game was the concept of deathmatch. Now you could get together with your buddies and frag each other until you puked.

After that there were sequels, and many, many projects and megawads. Web sites like Doomworld were created. Other games like Quake and Duke3D came into the picture, but Doom was still tops for many. And then there was the source release.

Arguably the single most important event in Doom history since the creation of Doom, the source release has spawned numerous source ports. Ports such as Legacy, Boom and WinDoom were released. Some of them evolved into things like MBF, SMMU, Eternity, prBoom or ZDoom. And yet still ports allowing Doomers features they had never seen before came to be. Playing Doom in OpenGL or with TCP/IP support was now a reality. Indeed, the source release gave Doom new life, and is one of the major reasons the game still remains popular.

What does the future hold? id, the original creators, announced Doom 3 a while back. The game, like the original, features a cutting edge engine like nothing seen before. As for classic Doom, it's not going anywhere any time. Many, many projects show great promise, and source ports are improving and adding features and optimizations all the time. Yes folks, the last nine years have been something all right.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DOOMY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! Oh man, where would I be without this game? I most certainly would be more socially and psychologically well-adjusted, that's for sure! Oh well, I love it for better or worse. Now I just gotta figure out if I'm going to go ahead with my plan of skipping school the entire day and playing doom. Decisions decisions. Oh well, off to bed for me, to dream sweet dreams of doomy goodness.

Happy...BIRTHDAY.....to you...
Happy...BIRTHDAY.....to you...
Happy...BIRTHDAY.....dearest...beloved.......DOOOOOOM....

...happybirthdaytoyou.

/Me has the wildest nostalgia flip since last year on exactly this date.

December 10, nine years ago, many hundreds of bloodlusting teenagers had something new to put on their christmas lists...

Nine years later, the game continues on bigger and badder than ever.

Doom, we salute you and your brothers in arms Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

/me salutes

HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY DOOM ^_^

/me raises his cup of c0ff33 to what not only has been a great game, but has one of the best community followings EVER, BAR NONE.

Happy Birthday to Doom and congrats to id software for making one of the best games ever created!!

mewse said:

hahaha, its not a doomworld birthday without that retarded-ass cake picture

#zdoom said
* Topic is 'http://www.assotron.com/bum.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.doomworld.com'
* Set by Julian on Tue Dec 10 13:40:28

Rofl 'ass cake' :P

'Appy Birfdy d00m.

Say, if Doom is nine, that makes me twice as old as Doom. Crap, I'm getting old.

Well, happy birthday Doom. =P

magikal said:

Happy Birthday Numero Uno!
Isn't that the same cake we had last year?

Since I don't have access to the ftp anymore, yes.

The Reverend Julian said:

Since I don't have access to the ftp anymore, yes.

Man, I dunno if cake stays fresh for more than a few months.

HAPPPPPPEEEEEEE BIRTHDAY DOOM!!!!!!!
Because of you, I can't leave my computer, and I don't have a social life either! Yay hooray!!!!!!111111 :)
/me plays a round of Doom on UV and passes out

Ct_red_pants said:

I just wish I had my doom CDs ATM so I could admire them. :(

Enjay glances at his original mail registered v1.1 floppy set, raises a glass of fine malt Scotch Whisky.

"Slangivar Doom."

Enjay, do you know how to make 1.1 run properly (i.e., not crash at startup) on Windows 98 or its DOS?

I have the urge to play jDoom now! Argh!

I wonder if DOOM 3 (shareware/demo or full version) will be released on 12/10/2003. That would be a nice 10 year celebration. ;)

cant we have a different birthday cake this year!? i got sick from eating the one from last year