Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Pistol damage

Or more accurately no, but kind of yes. :-)

You cannot change the amount of damage done by a pistol shot using DEH/BEX but you can have a series of frames of 0 duration in your pistol firing sequence each with a pistol shot code pointer to fire multiple pistol shots at once to make the pistol effectively more powerful. Sniper rifle mods often use this technique.

There may be specific ports that allow tailoring of the damage done by pistols, but I don't know which ones. (EDGE? Eternity?)

Enjay said:

Or more accurately no, but kind of yes. :-)

You cannot change the amount of damage done by a pistol shot using DEH/BEX but you can have a series of frames of 0 duration in your pistol firing sequence each with a pistol shot code pointer to fire multiple pistol shots at once to make the pistol effectively more powerful. Sniper rifle mods often use this technique.

There may be specific ports that allow tailoring of the damage done by pistols, but I don't know which ones. (EDGE? Eternity?)

eh can you do this for me? im not a dehacked whiz. is there anyway to make the pistol kill someone in one shot? (like a golden gun)

Probably by changing the frames for the pistol to plasma rifle (in the weapon/misc editor, not the frames editor). The main problem is you only start with bullets and no cells so you either have to make it use bullets for ammo or the player will have to pick up some cells or another weapon before they can shoot. What you could do is entirely switch cells and bullets. Switch the ammo type related weapons use. Switch the ammo item sprite names in the the text editing section. And maybe switch the map id#'s of the ammo items.

Imp said:

this is for zdoom 1.23 b33 and above by the way

That's OK, what I describe will work with all ports that support dehacked and even doom2.exe, although using ports that support bex patches (BOOM and derivative ports - like Zdoom) makes it easier to do because you can give any frame a code pointer, not just change the pointers of frames that already had one.

Imp said:

eh can you do this for me?

Already done it (kind of). If you pop along to my site you can find a dehacked tutorial section. Scroll around there and you will find some examples. There is a sniper rifle mod, but it's a bit rough and ready (just done as an example). From memory, it fires 7 pistol shots at once simply because it was quick and easy for me to find the frames available to do this. I don't think I put anything in place to stop the bullets starting to spread if you hold the fire button down after the first shot, but it is possible to do that (by stopping the refire option for the gun so that you require a seperate keypress every time you want to fire).

Imp said:

...is there anyway to make the pistol kill someone in one shot?

I have a sniper rifle in my own mod that uses 20 pistol shots per firing. That makes it deliver almost as much power as the supershotgun (21 pellets IIRC) but concentrated in a single spot, even over long distances. That'll take down the "human" and the weaker demon enemies with a single shot. Even the biggies only need a few shots.

One thing worth mentioning. Every code pointer uses an ammo allocation, so a 20 shot rifle uses 20 ammo every time you fire. Just something to bear in mind when setting up things like ammo limits and how much each ammo pickup is worth.

A couple things. Doom Legacy does let you give code pointers to nonCP frames and remove CP's from CP frames and let you have longer replacement text using the normal dehacked text format. Unfortunately Legacy has a problem where you can't change the missile speed of imp, caco, and baron fireballs. Then every port with dehacked support seems to have dropped support of at least some text changes (Legacy maybe moreso than others though).

Your snipe rifle should be exactly the power of a concentrated SSG blast. I used to think an SSG blast was triple a normal SG (3 times 7 pellets for 21), but someone corrected me. I think it was Ledmeister with his page of Doom.

Gokuma said:

A couple things. Doom Legacy does let you give code pointers to nonCP frames and remove CP's from CP frames and let you have longer replacement text using the normal dehacked text format.

...Then every port with dehacked support seems to have dropped support of at least some text changes (Legacy maybe moreso than others though).

All ports with proper BOOM/BEX support should support code pointers for non codepoiter frames. Good to see Legacy does too. I know Zdoom does.

Text replacements are difficult to handle in the old way for new executables, but most have alternatve methods. I know Zdoom allows more text replacements than was originally possible, including the "funny" exit questions and it's own obituary messages etc.