Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dodge_Demon

MP3s in wads

There was a post on here a helluva long time ago about how to put MP3s in your wads, i never really paid much attention to it at the time because i was working with the older version of edge which didn't support music, however, now i've upgraded to edge 1.27 and i'd like to have some nice heavy metal mp3s in there, any help would be appreciated

Use a source port that will allow them first. Then rename a copy of the .mp3 you want, in accordance with where you want it to appear.
For instance. You want to replace Map 01 of Doom II. If you look in whatever editor you use, you will find the name for the music there is D_RUNNIN. Rename the mp3 to D_RUNNIN, and import it. Then save, and use the wad with an MP3 suppourting source port. I reccomend ZDoom.

Hope this helps!

IIRC, idgames ftp don't allow mp3s in wads, so if you are going to upload it to idgames ftp, you better use a other format...

AFAIK you can't use wads with inserted mp3 with the current version of Edge(1.27) It has to be separate.
Also, bear in mind that it must be mono and 11025 Hz or Edge will go belly-up on you.

Lost Soul said:

Use a source port that will allow them first. Then rename a copy of the .mp3 you want, in accordance with where you want it to appear.
For instance. You want to replace Map 01 of Doom II. If you look in whatever editor you use, you will find the name for the music there is D_RUNNIN. Rename the mp3 to D_RUNNIN, and import it. Then save, and use the wad with an MP3 suppourting source port. I reccomend ZDoom.

Hope this helps!

What editor.. wintex doesnt work

You can do it with wintex apparently, but you have to use some trickery, or a false lump or something to get it to accept it.

I use DeePsea, which will do it very nicely without trickery.

And no, before someone mentions it, the importing tools are not limited in the shareware version.

Imp said:

Yeah, you have to trick it a bit. Open your wad, click the DATA button, go to edit, load entry from file, type the name COLORMAP, click OK, click show all files, browse to your .mp3, select it, click OK. Now, hilight the colormap entry you just created, go to Guru Only, rename entry, change the name to d_runnin or whatever standard music name. Exit, which saves.

Imp said:

Try using DeePsea. It will do that very simply in very short order. And I think wads with .mp3's ending up in the idgames directory are fine, but the the file is gargantuan then it's probably not a good Idea. as long as the filesize is reasonable, I don't see any problem, thought I could be wrong.

Enjay said:

You can do it with wintex apparently, but you have to use some trickery, or a false lump or something to get it to accept it.

I use DeePsea, which will do it very nicely without trickery.

And no, before someone mentions it, the importing tools are not limited in the shareware version.

Heh i tried to find out where you put the mp3 in with deepsea, but i cant find it :(

Imp said:

Heh i tried to find out where you put the mp3 in with deepsea, but i cant find it :(

So, just follow the few Wintex steps I described above, until someone helps with DeePsea.

Biffy said:

So, just follow the few Wintex steps I described above, until someone helps with DeePsea.

Very simple and straight forward. One does have to either 1) actually read the menu choices - as for any program - see File - Save/Import; 2) click the Tool bar button or 3) read the help which documents F7<g> Neither one is particularly hard to find:

1. Press F7 to bring up the PWAD tool dialog.
2. Select "Merge-Import Files.."
3. Open Target File (PWAD file to receive MP3).
4. Add Lump Files (can do more than 1 at a time, in this case only 1)
5. (optional) rename the lmp to the name desired - default = 1st 8 of filename
6. Save All Files (a backup is automatically made).

The above works for anything. BMPS/PCX automatically get converted to DOOM format graphics, WAV optionally to DOOM sound and MIDI optionally to DOOM MUS.