Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

The Story Boards/ Missions

Well, I was thinking about it after I beat QuakeII last night, again.

DoomIII is using storyboards correct? Well, I am happy about that. A have been waiting for a deeply plotted FPS shooter.

I think QuakeII is a fantastic game. In QuakeII, ALL, and I mean ALL, of the levels actually make sence! I love the story driven missions in QuakeII. If you just sit down, and pop in QuakeII, and play through the whole game without cheating, and go by the missions, it is VERY fun! I am hoping that Doom3's levels turn out to be like this. Im not saying, "Hey lets make Doom Quake!", but rather in a different perspective {thats what Quake4 is for}. I want the levels to be mission driven levels, at least SOME of the "UAC" facility levels.

BTW, whats wrong with the Rail Gun? I think its a fine weapon.. I love the blast impact it has, and how you can sneak up on your prey and "BEWW!" He's gibbed! If there is a weapon that should not be carried into any other game, for the sake of us, is that "Hyper Blaster".

Now, let's see here, whats a story that could make sence?

The year is 2073. The UAC has been toggling with these "gates" so called on Mars. One day they just opened, and demons poored through. You were sent to exterminate them. After you thought your mission was over, and you were teleported back to earth, you come to find cities torn, and infested by Demons. Well, that was a mission succesfull. You won, and destroyed the "Icon" on Sin, that spat out endless numbers of demons.

The military liked to call your missions, Operation "Doom". Well, aparently they weren't finished. You heard rumor about the UAC sending a man back to the gates. This man was accidentaly slip-gated into a realm that he called, the demention of the "Quake". He told horendouse stories of what he had saw in these strange places, much like my stories.

Well, 6 years had passed, everyone though the nightmares were over, when out of the sky, "WHAM!" Space Pods crashed into the earth. Strange Cyborg-like creatures rampaged cities and captured, or killed, anything living in sight. The military tracked there ships down, and noticed they were arriving here from a some kind of "hole" or rift in space and time. The planet on the other side was a barren red planet called "Strogg". The Earth forces took immediate action, and send our strongest battle "ships" through the rift, and sent thousands of pods to this planet to eliminate the Strogg. The mission failed. Apparently, they had some kinda' EMP forces that destroyed all of the pods, and only one made it same.. Bittamin. He single handedly destroyed the alien Strogg, but is now still stranded there.

So whats up with the UAC you ask? Well, I am retired from that job. I hear the UAC is back to there old experiments again, which pisses me off! ...meanwhile... Sin, the master of evil has grown another army of angry demons. The children and parents to this day, still cannot sleep through there nightmares of what had happened years earlier. But its all happening again. The UAC has created a secret base upon Mars.. and opened up more gate near the cydonia region of Mars.. Your number one nightmare.. its happening all over! You cant believe it. And the UAC has enough nerve to kid-nap you, and take you back to Mars! Well, looks like it's up to you again, once more.

{And now we can only find out what happens in Doom3 and QuakeIV..stay tuned, damnit!}

In QuakeII, ALL, and I mean ALL, of the levels actually make sence! [...] I want the levels to be mission driven levels, at least SOME of the "UAC" facility levels.

Most of Quake2 made sense, yes, but it all seemed too... I dunno. Plain. You just had the communications centre or laboratory, and that was it. It lacked something I value very highly in games: the little side tracks and one-shot things that add an extra order of realism to it.

I think this is going to happen with DOOM. The already-famous Bathroom scene seems to be an example of this... I bet id didn't HAVE to put in a bathroom (it's not a central focus of the game), yet they did. Just to add realism and tension.

BTW, whats wrong with the Rail Gun?

Asking that question in this forum is risky business.

The year is 2073.

You don't honestly expect mankind to colonize Mars, set up interdimensional gateways & invent the BFG all in the following 72 years do you ? That would mean with some luck, we could all be here when DOOM happens. 28th Century seems more like it.

i think, as long as they keep the plots steady, they could do something like that. I just don't want to "barely save the world" yet again. How many times has the world been saved from total destruction in the game universe? It's not even a novelty anymore.

Well in 50 years we've had TV, computers, internet, CDs, cloning, IVF, broken the sound barrier, etc so it could be done

You're joking right? At the snail's pace our space programs are going? We'll be lucky to put a man on Mars by then.

Nah, I'd say that some time within the next 200 or so years (if we're all still here that is) we MIGHT have colonized Mars.

Well, everyone has good points. Im not going against anyone, so dont go hostile on me.. There was nothing about colonising mars, just one little military base. And, there is already some shit headed towards Mars, supposed to be there in like, 3 months. The gateways we did not create, they were already there, created by the demons {what the hell were they doing on Mars?}. And the BFG is a simple electro plasmetic device, not that it could be built now, but in 72 years.. probably.

And the last reason I go against it being "100's" of years into the future, is becuase we'll all be dead by then. At the rate of air pollution..

But then again, the DOOM setting isn't very realistic. Phobos and Deimos have no gravity, no atmosphere and are only a few miles long. There's no way you could build something there, let alone a bunch of military bases.

How could the icon of sin be in earth if it's so increadible large?Why doesn't the UAC go in to the portal and killa ll the damn demons?Anyway quake2 is a real cool game

How could the icon of sin be in earth if it's so increadible large?Why doesn't the UAC go in to the portal and kill all the damn demons? Anyway quake2 is a real cool game

First off the icon of sin is in hell. Second off the U.A.C. is not military. It is civilian. It has marines as security. Thrird like the marines really wanna go to hell to fight the monsters when the Doomguy does it so damn well. "Gee guys, we havent killed anything in a few hours. Lets jump through the hell gate with some shotguns and shit and see how long we last!".

Mathematicly, the curve of technological developments will be pointing pretty much straight up somewhere in 2012 :)