Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

The /newstuff Chronicles #113

113 just doesn't have the same ring as Eleventy-one. I begged Ultimate Doomer for 111. Begged him. I guess everyone was lucky that week.
By the way, everyone; Please release your levelsets early in the week. Between Saturday and Tuesday is preferable, Wednesday is also fine. Friday night is not good. If I have to play though five maps in a wad the day before they're due, I tend to be a little more rushed and a little less forgiving.

• Sin City - Ed C.
    (wad) (txt) - Zdoom/Doom2 - Single Player (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Not bad at all. If nothing else you have to love the architecture. A nice hybrid of gothic/hellish themes, with big arches and nice slopes, with a little bit of a cave theme mixed in. Ammo balance is really good, and the action is nice and consistent, although some might find it a little bit easy. On the other hand; I for one, did not appreciate a stealth archvile. Well worth downloading if you like good zdoom wads.

• Sin City 2 : The Satan Complex - Ed C.
    (wad) (txt) - Zdoom/Doom2 - Single Player (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    The sequel to Sin City. And I think it really says something about a wad, or an author, if they make you laugh before you even start playing. First of all, "The Satan Complex" is such a weird name that I don't even need to make fun of it. But what I found particularly funny was this:

Email Address: Spasmolytix68@hotmail.com (don't email me)

So be sure to e-mail him and send him your comments about pretty much anything. In fact, copy down his e-mail address and keep it on hand in case you get bored and need someone to talk to. Tell him how you feel your job is putting a little bit of strain on your family life, or how you think you haven't been urinating with the same viscosity as you once did.

Hyena's patented fun-poking aside, this is a great zdoom map with loads of atmosphere, some pretty cool music, and not too shabby detail. A really fun way to waste an afternoon or two. The main flaw though, would have to be that if you get killed early, it starts right at the very beginning where you need to endure a long intro again and again. It does not take very much scripting prowess to fix that, and we know the author is good with ACS, otherwise I would be saying something to the effect of getting his crotch getting caught in a printing press, and as he screamed in pain his speech recognition program wrote the scripting for him. Okay, well maybe it was partially my fault. The game auto-saves when you reach certain points and somehow I died before I got to the first one. I'm not sure how I did it, but I'm sure a chaingunner helped. So if you're not the Doom champion of the universe, I would suggest saving when the intro finishes. The important thing is that you should pay no mind to my having fun at this guy's expense, and download "Satan Complex". Very, very cool wad.

• Operation: Arctic Wolf - Laz Rojas
    (wad) (txt) - (Deh)Doom2 - Single Player/Co-op (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    I like the basic layout, and it's quite challenging. But the dehacked needs more than a little work. When you're turning doom into wolfenstein you need a lot of code pointers and manipulation so that a guy who shoots a machine gun doesn't drop a shotgun, for instance. But what really ruins what could have been a really nice levelset is the weapon hacking. If you select the fist (or the knife in this case) then try to select another weapon, the deselect frames are completely out of whack and you end up being completely weaponless until someone kills you. This means if you run out of ammo, then step on a clip, you're dead. If you accidentally hit the 1 key instead of the 2 key, you need to use the knife or you're dead. This can and will happen very often if you play seventeen levels.

The instructions that come with the file also say that dehacked is separated into two patches so that you have to stop half-way through and change patches. The reason for this is because it has "more enemies than the doom II engine can handle". Another reason why they need to brush up on their hack editing. Batman Doom had a lot more than doom2.exe in only one patch. There's a lot of unneccesary code that can be manipulated. The Archvile fire, for instance, uses a hell of a lot of frames. Since archvile fire is pretty much useless in a wolfenstein TC you can use code pointers like there's no tomorrow. In its present state I would not recommend playing it.

• Burn In Hell - Stephen Galvin
    (wad) (txt) - Doom2 - Single Player (img) (img) (img) (img)
    According to the txt file the author is thirteen years old and it's his first wad. So I'm not going to pitchfork him to death and bake him into a dork casserole. As you might expect, the detail is not great, and there's a few little glitches here and there (I sort of thought it was funny that in map01 he accidentally placed an imp outside of the sectors. Whoops :p) but it's not that bad. It's actually kind of fun. Experienced doom freaks will have no trouble with it, as it has enough ammo to kill your enemies three times over. The main challenge is lack of health. And despite some bad detailing, there's some nice lighting effects in places. Nice first attempt.

• RTC-3057 Demo - Team Future
    (wad) (txt) - Zdoom/Doom2 - Single Player (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Well, we all know what this is. Those who haven't downloaded it yet probably won't now--but they should--so my review is a little unnecessary. Let's just say; It's an amazing wad, and be sure to have an eye open for the dancing banana.

• Behemothic 3 - William Green
    (wad) (txt) - Doom2 - Single Player/Deathmatch (img) (img) (img) (img)
    Another levelset consisting of three single-player and three deathmatch maps. Those who can add know that makes eight . . . I mean six. This wad's detail is really simple, and not very extensive. It does seem to serve its purpose, however, and it's definitely not ugly. The levels are pleasantly non-linear and full of monsters for you to spend your ammo on, even in some cases, employing monsters I wouldn't have expected. (There's a cyberdemon and a boss shooter in the first level) Some texture alignment problems here and there, though, as the author doesn't seem to use unpegged lines anywhere that I could see. Not the greatest wad in the world, definitely not the worst. I'd recommend it to those who feel up to playing a multi-map wad, as none of the other levelsets this week seem to be any good. Note: The music is pretty nice.

• Empyre of Doom - Empyre
    (wad) (txt) - Doom2 - Single Player/Co-op (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This week Empyre graced us with a levelset including 6 of his very best. Except, by saying best, I really secretly meant the exact opposite. I've never heard of Empyre before, and for all I know he could be the world's only hamster that makes doom maps, but he can do better than this.
    It's a bunch of maps he made before he had an internet connection, and by the looks of it, he did them all in one afternoon with one hand while using the other to fight off an enraged sumo wrestler.

I mean, I don't want to come off as a complete bastard, but at least SLIGE can place monsters in a half-way reasonable manner. I'll even do the author a favour and not even mention the detail, I've definitely seen worse. But the ammo/health to monster ratio is roughly comparible to the ratio of cleveland to my basement.
    Map01 starts you with a shotgun in an empty room. Opening a door reveals one zombieman. You know, the guys who take two bullets to go down, fire once per twenty seconds, and couldn't hit a zeppelin with a pile of machine guns? And when you just barely survive the traumatizing ordeal, you're treated to a medikit and blue armour. Rest assured, however, that "All contene in this file" is his original work.
    If you download, be sure to read the walkthrough he included because I don't think map01 even has any keys. But don't download it. A better use of my time would have been to leap crotch-first into a wood-chipper.

Hyena you moronic pile of donkey shit, you wouldn't know a good levelset if it jumped out of your monitor and attempted to bite off your microscopic dick. Arctic Wolf is an amazing partial conversion and you spend multiple paragraphs spouting diarrhea about how you can't figure out how to make the Dehacked patch function. Maybe if your inbred reptilian brain had a few more sparking neurons you would realize that the problem was with your inability to properly type commands and not with one of Laz's greatest masterpieces. Why don't you put your mongoloid face through a plate glass window and spare us all your dim-bulb attempts at reviewing. Not recommend playing it? I do not recommend you continue to breathe, you witless idiot.

Well, we all know what this is. Those who haven't downloaded it yet probably won't now--but they should--so my review is a little unnecessary. Let's just say; It's an amazing wad, and be sure to have an eye open for the dancing banana.

nice "review" jackass, this is only the biggest release that /newstuff has seen this week, you've practically dismissed it with your crummy 3 lines. i spit on you.

Hehm I just played Empyre.wad for a few seconds.

You see, if you play on UV, things are a little different. Instead of starting with a shotgun, the first room will instead contain a plasma rifle and green armor. The blue armor, of course, still rests outside. This is all quite necessary, however, considering that the second you step out of that door, your greeted by an unstoppable combination of a zombieman AND a shotgunner. Not just that, but further, much further, into the room, there are some more shotgunners and zombies. Given some time, these guys may actually make it over to you and cause some type of damage, so watch out! I did manage to find another green armor behind the next door that doesnt require a key (it's hidden, you'll have to use the automap), but I am yet unable to beat this wad.

Was I too cruel?

I do actually kinda like the layout. I cant explain why though.

Edit: I read the first paragraph of the walkthrough. Apparently the first key, and almost everything else, are behind secret doors. Luckily, they havent actually been flagged as secret, so just use the automap. In fact, there seem to be hidden rooms containing various items approximately every few feet. I think Im actually going to try to make it all the way through this.

Yeah, Arctic wolf was great. I do see where Heyena's coming from with the Knife bug, but if I remember, I do recall there being a fix for that on the wolfendoom site.

Linguica said:

Why don't you put your mongoloid face through a plate glass window and spare us all your dim-bulb attempts at reviewing. Not recommend playing it? I do not recommend you continue to breathe, you witless idiot.

mongoloid ... face ... plate glass window? Nice.

Linguica said:

Hyena you moronic pile of donkey shit, you wouldn't know a good levelset if it jumped out of your monitor and attempted to bite off your microscopic dick. Arctic Wolf is an amazing partial conversion and you spend multiple paragraphs spouting diarrhea about how you can't figure out how to make the Dehacked patch function. Maybe if your inbred reptilian brain had a few more sparking neurons you would realize that the problem was with your inability to properly type commands and not with one of Laz's greatest masterpieces. Why don't you put your mongoloid face through a plate glass window and spare us all your dim-bulb attempts at reviewing. Not recommend playing it? I do not recommend you continue to breathe, you witless idiot.

Good to see you're still haven't lost that moronic touch Ling. You're right about Arctic Wolf, but this kind of childish bullshit is complete unneeded. Jesus, and I thought I lacked tact.

What the Hell? Isn't Arctic Wolf like five years old? Or am I thinking of something else?

Scuba Steve said:

Yeah, Arctic wolf was great. I do see where Heyena's coming from with the Knife bug, but if I remember, I do recall there being a fix for that on the wolfendoom site.

yeah, the download here lacks the right files to get it working. I'm using prBoom, and on first try the wad acted just as Hyena said, but I'm no mongoloid so I got it working. It's great! But where's the classic Wolf music?? ;P

I think it was in development this whole time, although I know I've seen it on the WolfenDoom page a while back. I think it was just a beta back then.

Archvile46 said:

I think it was in development this whole time, although I know I've seen it on the WolfenDoom page a while back. I think it was just a beta back then.

Check the Wolfendoom site... it's there, and it's hungry.

And Ling's right. Arctic Wolf owns your parents on a regular basis. I mean, late at night, I'll hear the back door slam, I'll just think "Oh, that's just Arctic Wolf coming in to own my parents". You get used to it.

Hmmm..That Sin City ones are neato burrito :D Great detail n slopes n jazz :D Ill play the rest in the morning, but now....DreamLand :D

Arctic Wolf has been out for a very long time (I was a beta tester for the project). Laz was working on a special ZDoom version of it before he vanished, which I'm sure is the source of the confusion about whether the original release was a beta. Why it's suddenly popped up in newstuff I don't know. I don't think it was ever uploaded to the main archives so maybe someone thought they'd correct that.

Arctic wolf was made to run under MBF. 100k j00 f0015! :P

Oh, and do not insult the mongaloid, my friend is standing next to me. (not Hyena)

ravage said:

Arctic wolf was made to run under MBF. 100k j00 f0015! :P

No it wasn't. Any Boom compatible port will do (for the limit removal and support for DEH and sprites and flats without DEUSF), with my personal recommendation of MBF due to it's superior stability. As I said, Laz had planned to release a ZDoom specific version with new material and features, but due to his vanishing act it never came out.

Hyena said:

I'm not going to pitchfork him to death and bake him into a dork casserole

Owwww, you're just getting soft in your old age!

Hyena said:

the ammo/health to monster ratio is roughly comparible to the ratio of cleveland to my basement.

lol

Surely Sin City is a re-release, but you didn't mention that. I can't view the text file atm so I don't know if any changes have been made to it. Can you include details of these changes (if any) in your reviews in future (assuming the author describes these in his/her text file)?

That aside, it's good to see that newstuff is well and truely alive and coming in on time (almost) everyweek.

Russell_P said:

Surely Sin City is a re-release, but you didn't mention that. I can't view the text file atm so I don't know if any changes have been made to it. Can you include details of these changes (if any) in your reviews in future (assuming the author describes these in his/her text file)?

"Updated version, bug fixes, cleaned up the scripts"

The previous version wouldnt load in some zdoom versions (map needed a few tweaks).

JoelMurdoch said:

due to his vanishing act it never came out.

Hmm, odd, he's reappeared in the wolf community. He's released a demo of his new mac mod, and converted one of his mac mods to PC. Try getting on his case now.

JoelMurdoch said:
Good to see you're still haven't lost that moronic touch Ling. You're right about Arctic Wolf, but this kind of childish bullshit is complete unneeded. Jesus, and I thought I lacked tact.

rofl Joel. I do believe Ling is making reference to the nice comments he got for his own /newstuff about his inability to use deusf.
My $0.02.

JoelMurdoch is right, artic wolf has been released a pretty long time ago. whoever "released" in the newstuff dir - he did not do a good turn for Laz Rojas as I don't expect him to release a buggy version when he already released a fix.

this is the fucking best TC I have played so long. yup the design might be a little sparse in some places but the athmosphere is the best I've experienced. and to think that laz did it all by himself... everyone - go play this if you haven't done so yet. and to the others: go play it again. at night. in one piece. and then ask yourself were the guys at gray matter got their ideas for return to castle wolfenstein from. suckers.

Yes, people should not upload stuff that they didn't make to the Archive unless it's stuff that can't be found elsewhere (and can be legally uploaded, of course.) Otherwise this happens. Wolfendoom is properly hosted on Doomworld and doesn't need to be uploaded. There's nothing wrong with sending it to the Archive, but if the author hasn't sent it, he must have had his reasons.

Heh, I just released something, I'm releasing something next week, and probably something the week after that. Life is good!

myk said:

Yes, people should not upload stuff that they didn't make to the Archive unless it's stuff that can't be found elsewhere (and can be legally uploaded, of course.) Otherwise this happens. Wolfendoom is properly hosted on Doomworld and doesn't need to be uploaded. There's nothing wrong with sending it to the Archive, but if the author hasn't sent it, he must have had his reasons.

Q2DM1 anyone? anyone? *sigh* I was at the Doomserv release party for that one..

myk said:

There's nothing wrong with sending it to the Archive, but if the author hasn't sent it, he must have had his reasons.

Maybe he didn't even know it existed? :)

Epyo said:

Heh, I just released something, I'm releasing something next week, and probably something the week after that. Life is good!

Don't you see? No one is listening OR paying attention, HAHA! :-P

Epyo said:

My advice is to stop eating so much curry.

Man, those Sincity maps are quite excellent, though the second one bombs out with 37.cab when the marines die for some reason... 36.cab works fine tho.