Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

PrBoom vs. Doom

What is the big difference between DooM and PrBooM? As near as I can tell, there's no big difference. The only thing that changes is the status bar, which looks cool. But the BooM features don't appear to work in Ultimate DooM. I didn't notice any deep water or undernukage, which is what BooM is supposed to be famous for. Will someone please tell me the big difference here?
/me takes out my Fire-Proof Suit(tm) so the incoming flames won't scorch me

Umm, those features you mentioned can only be found in wads that are made specifically for Boom based engines. They use special line types that did not exist when the original Doom levels were made. Therefore you will not find any Boom based special effects in Doom, Doom2, or either of the Final Doom games.

I like PrBoom because of what it is - its just feels like Doom without any new stuff added on (menus changed etc). It has an air of purity to it :).

As a programmer I also admire it for what it strives to be: portable, bug free and stable.

The only thing I'm not fond of is how it changes the lighting and brightness with an increase in resolution.

Legacy does that too. ZDoom starts to do it as well if you go above 800x600. I think it's a direct draw thing. I don't believe the Linux versions of the port have that problem.

PrBoom rules.

Lut: if it didn't use Directx, then all would be fine... hard to get around that...

PrBoom is THE windows port of DOOM. If idsoftware had released Doom2 after the release of Windows95, we would be playing something very similar...
(of course, there would be a ms-dos version, so please be quiet)

PrBoom IS the real game on a windows platform.

PrBoom has many advantages over the original doom port. It adds new features and many new bug fixes. like no more visplane overflow and servral other nasties. PrBoom is better than the normal doom engin. no PrBoom deos not take away from doom with its new features. I dont see any reason other than demos to use the normal dos port of doom when the newer ports fix so many bugs

What is the big difference between DooM and PrBooM? As near as I can tell, there's no big difference. The only thing that changes is the status bar, which looks cool. But the BooM features don't appear to work in Ultimate DooM. I didn't notice any deep water or undernukage, which is what BooM is supposed to be famous for. Will someone please tell me the big difference here?
/me takes out my Fire-Proof Suit(tm) so the incoming flames won't scorch me

you = suck

It's nice to have all the other ports installed on you hd too, but PrBoom is THE port for me too. This baby eats nearly all wad's + it's the really most stable port I have ever seen + the gl capabilities are far enough for me :)

prboom is damn swanky. One damn nice feature is the ability to set a PWAD to always be loaded along with the iwad, so you can load freedoom.wad and play anything with the in-progress free stuff layered over the top.

One damn nice feature is the ability to set a PWAD to always be loaded along with the iwad, so you can load freedoom.wad and play anything with the in-progress free stuff layered over the top.

The MyDOOM Frontend also provides support for doing this within its GUI, but this do not depend on what port you use, it works for all ports :)

Futher the -save savegame feature of PrBoom is great. Other I have managed this for the other ports by an external algorithm. All savegames depend on the port and wads stored in a database.

Apparently, neither can smart-assedness. Smartass0rz :)

you stole my z0r you bitch.

/me unleashes terror onto DumBBoy

<<One damn nice feature is the ability to set a PWAD to always be loaded along with the iwad>>

You can also do that with ZDoom. I forget how though...

PrBoom rocks, but the one "bug" (I don't know if it is or not) that may have not been fixed is when you have player bobbing on and you are using the shotgun on a horde of enemies and you're holding down the fire key. As you are doing this, the shotgun sprite seems to get unaligned (sort of shifted to the right or left) while you're firing, which makes aiming at individual enemies a bit of a challenge. However, turn player bobbing off and the problem is solved.

That "bug" is in all the ports. I wish they woulda fixed it though, I just realized that's why all my head-on shots were missing about 2 weeks ago.