Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

Features you think SPs should have

What do you look for in a Source Port? What features do you think are important, downright necessary even, and which do you consider to be 'unrequired frivolity'? Reason I ask, is 'cause I've seen some posters (Myk for example) who are still using DOOM.EXE and DOOM2.EXE. Granted, nothing wrong with them as they stand, but would you like to get a bit more out of your game?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Features I consider to be reqisite to play Doom these days:
(in no particular order)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

*Looking up/down
*Proper mouselook to go with that
*Higher resolutions
*Removal of visplanes and HOM
*Automatic sound and music setup

...and others which I will edit in later if I remember them.

Care to pass comment?

edit: On the the newer features like third-person and particle systems: Third person is pretty pointless. The ZDoom particle system is pretty damn cool allows for Railgun effects and makes more blood (after using the paticles, I feel that good ol' DOOM.EXE is a little lacking in the gore department). The wall decals for yet more blood and bullet holes is a cool thing. On the sound front, ZDoom's DirectSound capabilities mean that the crappy FM synth on my laptop is bypassed and I can hear the Doom music the way it was supposed to sound!

What am I trying to say here? GO ZDOOM!

mouselook and looking up/down don't matter too much to me. I look for bug fixes, boom support and I like OpenGL source ports a lot. Eye-candy in general is a good thing ;) Particles are pretty cool and like to have control over my hud and key bindings.

Proper *.mus playback. I miss the good tracks. :(
And please, make if DOS compatible too.

Assmaster said:

Removal of the old limitations (VPO and the like).
Option for "always run".

Thats all I need.

Me too :)

beezee88 said:

What do you look for in a Source Port? What features do you think are important, downright necessary even, and which do you consider to be 'unrequired frivolity'? Reason I ask, is 'cause I've seen some posters (Myk for example) who are still using DOOM.EXE and DOOM2.EXE. Granted, nothing wrong with them as they stand, but would you like to get a bit more out of your game?

What is wrong with doom2.exe. Jumping and free look don't give doom anything, I find it kinda boring. Doom2.exe is good, but I use zdoom these days, without jumping and freelook.

Torn said:

What is wrong with doom2.exe. Jumping and free look don't give doom anything, I find it kinda boring. Doom2.exe is good, but I use zdoom these days, without jumping and freelook.

What's wrong with Doom2.exe...

Let's think about it...

Well... (just the biggest issues. If I listed everything I could type for hours)

1. Many larger levels won't work (Visplane overflows and other static limits)
2. Savegame buffer overrun even with medium sized levels.
3. Only crappy 320x200 resolution (and that alone is enough to forget about it!)
4. DOS only! (as Boris already said...)

deathz0r said:

I dunno, a C/S port of windoom.exe.

Yeah, that'd be cool. Keeping it pretty much as it is but adding the possibility of joining a game in progress, as well as player names. Zdaemon does a pretty good job running "classic" servers nowadays, but this would be perfect as far as client/server goes. It could even be a side-project of zdaemon, using the same master server for the two engine varieties.