Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #118

Grazza said:

So you mean the way kills are counted differed between Registered Doom 1 and Ultimate Doom? I just discounted that as too unlikely. [I never got the full version of Doom 1, prior to the release of Ultimate Doom, so can't verify this.]

Versions prior to 1.666, probably. But DOOM v1.9 certainly behaves just like DOOM II v1.9 in every aspect (since they share the EXE.) I presume this has always been so since the inception of DOOM II.

I tried it in 1.2, changing all the monsters in E1M1 to Lost Souls, and I noted that Enjay is right, they do count in old versions. Also, I noted that kills in general are counted differently. Only kills made by the Player (including through a barrel shot by the Player) are counted. Kills made by monsters do not count (like in cooperative mode in later versions.)

Anyway, it seems odd if they did change the way kills were counted due to the PE and the possibility of getting more than 100% kills, given that at the same time they introduced the Arch-Vile and Boss Shooter without making any similar adjustment to allow for resurrections and spawns.

Well, apparently they decided that Lost Souls were more of an annoyance than true monsters, especially ever since they became the attack of another monster.

Hmm... With a few adjustments here and there, Helm's Deep could be a nice Team Fortress map. It sort of already looks like one.

Aardappel said:

password for these links? or alternative download site?

You shouldn't need a password, the zip and text links go right to a page with a couple mirrors.

i need a woman one that plays doom..i can like come home from work and shell have all new wads ready for me to play with her that would be beast..

Cyb said:

You shouldn't need a password, the zip and text links go right to a page with a couple mirrors.

The links ask for a "planetmirror password". I got them off 3dgamers, but for next time it may be practical to link to a more friendly site.

That's your connection to the server, or your client, failing it. Planetmirror's pub directory takes annonymous connections.

Actually, that Hall of Mirrors script isn't very helpful since (I believe) it uses cookies, sticking you to a certain server if you try to download a file twice. This is a problem especially if you chose a server that isn't very good for you initially. Additionally, I'm not sure if the mirrors linked from it are all functional (they aren't, I believe, unless it was updated recently.)

Another way of offering mirrors on the Newstuff Chronicles could be making a script that generates the main mirror links for the file at the heading of the review (along with the screen shot links, etc.), showing each link as a flag icon representing the country the mirror is on. As far as I know the working mirrors are in USA, Sweden, Autralia, Greece, and Finland (the latter gives precedence to Finnish clients.)

I used Hall of Mirrors because quite a few people have complained about the use of one mirror or that an http mirror should be used or whatever. The script works on a simple premise. It gets passed a string (the dirs and the file name) and it sticks it in url for several mirrors. It doesn't store a cookie, it doesn't check if the file exists, it doesn't check (or know) if you download any of the files, it just puts together a list of mirrors. For instance, note the sisocran.zip hom page. The url is:

http://www.doomworld.com/d_underg/idgames.shtml/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/sisocran.zip

so then it takes /levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/sisocran.zip and simply tacks it onto the end of various mirrors it has. The link to 3darchives is as follows: ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/sisocran.zip

That is the exact same link I would have put had I not used the script. It is 100% possible (baring the server being down or full) to download that via your browser. In fact all of the mirrors (the top 7 on the list anyway, the bottom 4 are not kept up to date, as the script says) allow anon login and should not ask for a password. If all else fails, use some common sense and try another mirror.

Hmm, you guys must be right... the cookie problem might have to do with Linguica's search thingy, I suppose, as I remember trying to get a file there and that it showed the HOM only the 1st time, going to the download right away after that.

I've have no problems with Hall of Mirrors, and my security settings in IE are pretty high (no cookies or javascript).

To think that the HOM was first made for the Newstuff Chronicles... I did wonder why you guys had stopped using it for a time. It was forgotten when AndrewB stopped reviewing (and no one did so for a while.)

Can anyone get files from the french server (or access ftp://ftp.fdn.fr/pub/, for that matter)? It's the only server I've never been able to access.

I just got a new computer - and was able to play Helm's Deep without sufficient slowdown to interrupt gameplay. OK, so a 2.8 GHz machine dropping to 11 fps in a doom level is quite an achievement, but it only did it for a couple of seconds and most of the time I was up above 30 fps (I had the fps counter on all the time). Aside from the one drop to 11, the lowest it went was 18 once and then 25.

Cyb, producing levels that push the CPU more than Doom3 will.

kristus said:

Enjay: try making a Doom3 level that has only 1/4 of the monsters in helms deep. ;)

Hmmm, a good point, well made.