Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toxicfluff

Rust SP map project

Here are some screenshots from my current SP project Rust. It is single player and can only be played solo on the Legacy port. Both these things are because of the amount of scripting involved, and I've used some legacy/boom specific effects (3d lights extensively for a more accurately sourced look). Feature rundown:

Plugging rounds, blah blah blah. There will be a proper site put up on the link below at some point soon.

Done:

1). Commandable sidekicks, you can tell them to guard (stay), attack or move through some command shortcut keys. Thick as shit (doom AI), but they work.

2). A few new weapons/items.

3). Random ambient sound system. I spent a lot of time making the sounds.. and I must say, most of them are scary as shit. Expect a lot of screaming and moaning echoing down the hallways.

4). Some real gameplay varying stuff. Let's just say, you can leave your marine without dying.

5). Quite a few scripted sequences... Kills replayability, but what the hell.

6). Some never seen before graphical effects. At least I don't think they have been. I'm not sure.

Todo:

1). Lightweight conversation system (nothing too comprehensive though).

Anyway, the transition between the two styles shown in the pics on the page below will make sense upon release.

http://www.geocities.com/toxic_fluff/RUST/doom.html

Ugh, what port is used in those screenies, so I can know to avoid it?

good looking maps btw.

Epyo said:

Ugh, what port is used in those screenies, so I can know to avoid it?

good looking maps btw.

I think thats legacy (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken). And the screen shots are awesome - I love those flashy colors and the 3d bridge.

Hmm... It's only a 3 (4 including secret map) level project, so I expect to have it done in a couple of months. I'm trying for a very high level of quality though which is why it is taking a while. I still need a Hurt me plenty playtester if anyone wants to step up.

The first map is approaching done now, I'm just finishing off the conversation stuff and various little things (someone walks out to the toilet during the briefing lol).

Epyo: I'm afraid it's a legacy only port at the moment, because of the amount of 3D it uses. I'll learn ACS and do a Zdoom version if it becomes possible though. If it's the HUD you find ugly, I'm gonna be redoing that.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, I'll keep you posted.

Some of those shots remind me quite alot of Nimrod..

I can't wait to play this, it looks very promising.

Note that Legacy has a software mode, which may appeal more to those who prefer more traditional graphics.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting project, in so far as it is possible to judge from a few screenshots.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys.

Hey Ebola, do you know how to get new hudpics (like the ammo and stuff) to work in Legacy? It keeps crashing legacy on startup.... I do things exactly the same way as in the docs, except I use wintex or XWE instead of NWT. It's goddamn annoying, because I really don't like the legacy hudpics, and I have 3 others on the screen for the new items and the style clashes with legacy's standard pics.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Here are some screenshots from my current SP project Rust.

Nice combination of DooM2 and custom textures and flats. Interesting looking map areas. Nice, muted use of Legacy OpenGL lighting effects.

So stop wasting your time on these and other forums, and get back to work. We wants to play it soon ;)

Lol. Actually, shit. That's a good point. You know how much time I've been spending on forums recently??? Ah christ, I hadn't really thought about that lol.

Yeah, the textures are pretty good, especially the rock ones (not mine though). You wouldn't believe how long it took to do the cliffs though - Legacy doesn't support textures over 128 in height, so I had to make two 128 high 3d sectors for one continuous instance of the texture.

Still, the legacy hud is abominable in my opinion, so the last question was quite important :D

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Hey Ebola, do you know how to get new hudpics (like the ammo and stuff) to work in Legacy? It keeps crashing legacy on startup.... I do things exactly the same way as in the docs, except I use wintex or XWE instead of NWT. It's goddamn annoying, because I really don't like the legacy hudpics, and I have 3 others on the screen for the new items and the style clashes with legacy's standard pics.

Use the LUMPY program to convert from PCX to a suitable lump file, then insert the lump with whatever. You should be able to find it on Legacy's site somewhere.

ReX said:

So stop wasting your time on these and other forums, and get back to work. We wants to play it soon ;)

Nasty ReXs always picking on ToXiCFLUFF. We knows ReX has a project he's not finishing don't we precious? We wants it, we needs it.

Consider yourself nagged again, as per instructions. :-)

Enjay said:

Consider yourself nagged again, as per instructions. :-)

Much appreciated, señor. You know you'll be the first to see the whole package.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You need to use LUMPY for that graphics.. You can find it at my page:

http://frad.slipgate.org/tlep

look in the downloads section.

Thanks a lot... got it working now. Problem is, my hudpics actually look shit. Lol, art isn't my strongpoint.

Anyway, a few new pics although they aren't from very impressive areas - I don't wanna give away all the decent parts in the form of screenshots before I release it.

http://www.geocities.com/toxic_fluff/RUST/rust2.html

Just finished Phobia btw.... that bit with all the floor tiles hanging in the void is AWESOME. It's the coolest looking bit of design I've seen in a Doom map I think. I can't save in Phobia with the current version of legacy either so each jump was unbelievably tense.

A real good map all told, a nice change from the usual Doom style.

Those are some damn swank pictures. I don't get around to playing many Doom wads these days, but this is one that I will definately play as soon as it's done.

Hey, does anyone know of any TC/PC's where I could find a fiery looking projectile? I need something which looks like it could roast you.

reamber monster placement is veary imprtant. I have seen so many wads that could be great that turned out to be crap cuz they dident take the time to plan out ware every monster is placed in the wad.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Hey, does anyone know of any TC/PC's where I could find a fiery looking projectile? I need something which looks like it could roast you.

Lemme make something. I'll let you know when its done. :)
Maybe not. :P

Ravage: Awww.... I thought my problem had been solved for a minute there :D

Demons hand: Nice sig btw. Anyway, The way I am going with monster placement is to have relatively few monsters, but challengingly placed. My main aim with the indoor portion of Rust is fear, and I feel that you forget to be scared if you are distracted by fighting with loads of enemies. It's scarier sometimes to just be walking around and suddenly hear shooting and screaming echoing down the corridor (random ambient sound system at work).

Also instead of raising the difficulty only by throwing in a shitload more monsters I make the difficulty harder by: a) less items and b)adding more "crush" situations where you have monsters in front and behind you, which I think is the hardest placing of baddies you can face. This way it doesn't feel like sightseeing in the lower skills. Oh yeah the other difference is that you get less help from your buddies. There's a couple of other things, butsome of them are pretty innovative so I can't really say until it's closer to a release date in case the ideas get executed better somewhere else.

All this isn't to say that it's not run + gun gameplay - it is - but it's less than normal and a hell of a lot more scary.

Edit: Oh and on the ammo note, although that Doom64 chainsaw is lovely to look at, you're never going to be forced to use it - I'm aiming to keep the ammo at an avaliability sufficient enough that you never _have_ to use berserk or the chainsaw (which is souped up).

Excellent, you'll get credit for saving my ass obviously... you don't wanna see the projectile pics I'd drawn for it before :D Funnily enough, it fits the weapon graphic which I'm using to fire it (not new graphics - the unmaker from Doom64) perfectly in style.

Do I have your permission to modify it if I need to?

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Do I have your permission to modify it if I need to?

:)

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Funnily enough, it fits the weapon graphic which I'm using to fire it (not new graphics - the unmaker from Doom64) perfectly in style.

Yeah, I LOVE muzzle flashes that match the colors of the Arch-Vile's flames...

Damnit, why can't Scuba Steve make muzzle flashes in that color? :P