Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Map 14 - My First Published Wad!

My map is now done. If you want to download it then go to:

http://r-and-e.gotdns.com/doom/dtca_map14.wad

You need the rest of the map pack to run the level properly though! The other 13 maps aren't mine. Their Scott Naylor's! I've joined the project of the Cyberdemon Army. Seriously though I don't like the amount of enemies in some of the levels. Mine are so much calmer. And cooler too! Here is the link for the rest of the map pack.

http://r-and-e.gotdns.com/doom/doom_the-cyberdemon-army.zip

My map also requires Zdoom 2.0 so go here

http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars

to get it. The downloads from r-and-e will not work unless my computer is on! Don't worry it's on all day so you shouldn't have a problem getting the files!

I've added some more pics. I've made sure they all work so don't worry there aren't any broken links. If it doesn't work it means the server is down.

Someone told me this was for one of those "mockery" projects... is it?

Not as bad as one might expect, though the blue lighted sector in that 9th screenshot shouldn't have a sky ceiling.

Demons Hand said:

One ore thing. When ya use fog try to not have alot of sky cuz it lookes bad. Or ya could make a cloudy sky.

Yeah, a foggy sky completes the foggyness illusion. You could use a foggy skybox if you don't want to make a foggy sky texture.

I suggest that you don't even post image links to your site. Your site contains links to illegal warez and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the url to your page from looking at the image urls.

Please remove the warez or upload your images elsewhere, or else you are running the risk of getting losered or banned from these forums.

I removed my pic links so I can't be blammed for anything on my site. I'm now using my own server that I normally use for a different site to put up my maps.

I just took a look at that map! Maybe I should just ley cyber-menace do the other half of the Cyberdemon Army for me! I never could do anything like in his map! Is this what all maps of today are like. Man I feel so dissapointed right now.I though my Map 13 was good but this map is great. Am I over esagerating? (geez I can't spell) If anyone knows a good site to get great maps like cyber-menace's please send me a PM or e-mail containing a link.

Cyber-Menace: Thanks for metioning me for the other 13. I don't want people giving you ALL the credit.

Begging your pardon to anybody who has tried my map. It doesn't seem to be working when it is put into the main IWAD. I'm going to try and fix this glitch. Any suggestions how?

Put into the main IWAD!? Does this have anything to do with warez?

cyber-menace said:

I meant putting all 14 maps plus other needed files into 1 wad file.

Use a lump management utility such as WinTex, DeepSea, or XWE. If you just want to merge .wad files, use MergeWad, a free utility.

FYI, the IWAD is the original .wad file by id Software. With the exception of projects such as FreeDooM, all other wads are considered PWADS.

Funny I can't seem to run cyberdemon.wad on my computer with Zdoom unless I use the -iwad tag. And Deepsea seems to think it's an IWAD.

Where could I get WinTex? I've heard a lot about it actually. Would it form the wads like WinDEU? I always use the Bulid new main option on it. I don't want it to be considered anything then what it already is. Maybe this might generate a problem.

-Was having only stealth creatures necessary?
-Above average level besides that I guess.
-But anyway what do I do in the under-detailed room with the two pools.
-And one more thing, when I try to run map14 from Cyberdemon.wad, it bombs out right away.EDIT: Oh I see, it's a Warezable IWAD. You'll wanna remove the link to Cyberdemon.wad.

Scott said
If anyone knows a good site to get great maps

Let me be the first to advertize...Captain Mancubus!!!!!

How to merge wads: With special guest, XWE.exe
1. download it from this site
2. open your wad
3. click file => Merge
4. pick your wad you want to merge with this wad, and
5. Your done!

I think you're talking about merging wads anyway...

You guys all just merge your wads eh? I always used the Build new main in WinDEU! I didn't know merging worked better. I'll try that thanks. I'll update my wad, that way it will be considered a PWAD not an IWAD. That sound right?

Erik said:

I suggest that you don't even post image links to your site. Your site contains links to illegal warez and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the url to your page from looking at the image urls.

Please remove the warez or upload your images elsewhere, or else you are running the risk of getting losered or banned from these forums.

heh erik, i noticed the warez quite fast. i avoided saying anything about it thought because i figured that would only be more likely to inspire warezing..

cyber-menace said:

I always used the Build new main in WinDEU!

It's been a while since I used it, but from memory that function is there specifically to build a new IWAD including all the stuff you have loaded into (Win)DEU at the time plus everything else needed to run the game and to give you a WAD with an IWAD header. That's why other progs think it is an IWAD - it is!

This also means you are creating WADs with far more in them than you need. An IWAD built that way will contain everything needed to run the game, whether you have changed them or not.

If you make a PWAD with your stuff, then it will only contain the modified entries you have made/included. This can be used for levels, patches, sounds, sprites and flats etc if you set it up right.

What happens with a PWAD (as I understand it) is the regular IWAD is loaded followed by the PWAD. Any resources in the PWAD that modify entries in the IWAD are then used in preference to the IWAD ones.

Your merged PWAD should be megabytes smaller than your built IWAD.

Hey Cyber-Menace they are all RIGHT! My first nine maps were just merged together and not built into a new wad! It doesn't make any difference except that you need to use -file instead of -iwad! It makes the files MUCH smaller and more convient (I can't spell) for people to download! I'm guilty of doing it your way too, but I fixed that when I noticed the SIZE difference! Use the merging options!

Yipes! That is a lot smaller. Hey I guess people can get pretty thed up with 6 megabyte zip files! This will make them less than a megabyte. Sounds like a plan and I'll stick with it.

The map pack works now! It also has been reduced to just over 600 kilobytes! That's 10x smaller! Wow merging in XWE solved all of my problems from the game crashing when a map with BEHAVIOUR loads all the way up to the file size! You only need to download the map pack if you want to play my map now! I think it's pretty good.

BTW: Epyo the only reason why my map seemed to drop in detail there for a bit was because I was getting used to WadAuthor at that time. Also I used a lot of stealth enemies because I was experimenting with new things all throughout the level! They were one of my favourites!

cyber-menace said:

You only need to download the map pack if you want to play my map now! I think it's pretty good.

That's how practically everybody builds and releases their multi-map wads. Glad you discovered it.

Also I used a lot of stealth enemies because I was experimenting with new things all throughout the level! They were one of my favourites!

And they are usually peoples' least favorites when used indiscriminately. It can get very frustrating to have enemies constantly pop up a few feet away, especially when they're swarming. Use that ZDooM special feature with care.

I DO like how I used it in the church room though! That one imp standing on the podieum with some stealth shotgunners standing in front of the benches. I consider this more of a trap than anything. Here's a tip, when things look too peaceful they usually are the exact opposite, or at least in my levels.

Wow. What are essentially warez links have survived in the DW forums for more than nine days now. Is this a record?