Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

ReBOOM 2.07um (Updated February 24th 2022)

32 minutes ago, LucasRafael132 said:

Oh man, another explosion of fun for my PC?

Hopefully more fun than Pepsi Man ;)

I'm still having transparency issues, and this is with the tranmap.dat that came with the ZIP.

doom00crop.png.78ddd646a6151cb2c0804563a2ac24ff.png

I was playing the Doom 2 IWAD, with no PWAD loaded, and the imp fireball has messed up transparency.

Also, I tried out my good ol' BoomHor, and I'm glad the telefrag issues were fixed. However, there's a new problem. Whenever I teleport, my Z-position isn't changed to be on the ground, so sometimes, I fall and other times I don't.

This very same problem occurred in Final Doom because of a removed line in the teleporter code. That would probably make some sense if I was playing with the Final Doom IWAD, but I wasn't. I was playing with the Doom 2 IWAD, so this shouldn't happen at all.

Silent teleporters, however, don't have this problem, and set your Z-position just fine.

And thanks for the barbie girl midi..  '97 is stuck in my head again

@Gibbon You're welcome. I put it in because it fit the theme of the level perfectly.

(Evanescence midi..  really :))

You actually listened to Evanescence back in the day? You have no idea how much of an Evanescence fan I was back in 2015 when the WAD was originally made.

1 hour ago, Nikku4211 said:

I'm still having transparency issues, and this is with the tranmap.dat that came with the ZIP.

doom00crop.png.78ddd646a6151cb2c0804563a2ac24ff.png

I was playing the Doom 2 IWAD, with no PWAD loaded, and the imp fireball has messed up transparency.

Also, I tried out my good ol' BoomHor, and I'm glad the telefrag issues were fixed. However, there's a new problem. Whenever I teleport, my Z-position isn't changed to be on the ground, so sometimes, I fall and other times I don't.

This very same problem occurred in Final Doom because of a removed line in the teleporter code. That would probably make some sense if I was playing with the Final Doom IWAD, but I wasn't. I was playing with the Doom 2 IWAD, so this shouldn't happen at all.

Silent teleporters, however, don't have this problem, and set your Z-position just fine.

@Gibbon You're welcome. I put it in because it fit the theme of the level perfectly.

You actually listened to Evanescence back in the day? You have no idea how much of an Evanescence fan I was back in 2015 when the WAD was originally made.

Well Boom was partially based on the Final Doom code and so it is highly likely I ported this bug back (teleporter code is virtually identical to the original) so that would mean I did the porting well :) warts and all.

Yes, 17 year old me bought the first album in 2003

21 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Well Boom was partially based on the Final Doom code and so it is highly likely I ported this bug back (teleporter code is virtually identical to the original) so that would mean I did the porting well :) warts and all.

DOS Boom didn't have this teleporter issue, though. I literally just played my WAD in there, with the very same levels that have the teleporter issue in ReBoom, and DOS Boom properly set the Z-coordinate every time I teleported.

23 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Yes, 17 year old me bought the first album in 2003

Oh cool, did you ever get into Evanescence further than Fallen? I know I really like their demos and Origin.

16 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I will do a new build of it tomorrow for you to try out

Sweet.

Guess I'll be playing more BoomHor then, maybe I missed a line or two.

Yeah I listened to some demo stuff but only after Fallen.  Nothing else, I never liked their recent stuff.

Next build should at least fix transparency.  Who would have thought this would have caused so many bugs :) we're at the home stretch though!

10 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Guess I'll be playing more BoomHor then, maybe I missed a line or two.

Yeah, the whole WAD has some interesting uses of Boom features here and there, though they're sandwiched between broken levels and poor design that looks like it was done by a 12-year old(because it was).

Yeah I listened to some demo stuff but only after Fallen.  Nothing else, I never liked their recent stuff.

I also prefer their demos over their later stuff.

Even if their most recent album released a few months ago tried to go back to their metal roots.

Next build should at least fix transparency.  Who would have thought this would have caused so many bugs :) we're at the home stretch though!

Oh, nice.

*crosses fingers*

22 hours ago, Gibbon said:

I have uploaded a new win64 binary (same name, same release).

Awesome, the transparency issue's now fixed.

I can't wait for the teleporter code to be fixed too, or at the very least able to be toggled if you want compatibility with early Final Doom demos.

A page for ReBoom has been made. ;)

Now all your work is covered. Let me know if you were going to use the logo @Charlie Love made.

@Gibbon i noticed you removed the MBF21/DEHEXTRA/Hi-res/Static limits enhancements after the initial 2.03.1 Hotfix (on August 24) was released (if i read it correctly, on August 25 and 26). You then applied commits that removed those limits.

I understand why it was taken down from the Preview to the Final, but for curiosity sake, would it be possible to have the Windows-only Preview build hosted as an experimental/for your own risk archive binary? A stock Boom port with such enhancements is more one of curiosity sake, but i'd love to see that preserved, even if under a new name (ReBoomXL or ReBoom EnHanced or what have you).

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Now all your work is covered. Let me know if you were going to use the logo @Charlie Love made.

@Gibbon i noticed you removed the MBF21/DEHEXTRA/Hi-res/Static limits enhancements after the initial 2.03.1 Hotfix (on August 24) was released (if i read it correctly, on August 25 and 26). You then applied commits that removed those limits.

I understand why it was taken down from the Preview to the Final, but for curiosity sake, would it be possible to have the Windows-only Preview build hosted as an experimental/for your own risk archive binary? A stock Boom port with such enhancements is more one of curiosity sake, but i'd love to see that preserved, even if under a new name (ReBoomXL or ReBoom EnHanced or what have you).

Sure I can throw it back up.  I'll see if I kept a copy otherwise I can easily recompile it from that commit.

1 minute ago, Gibbon said:

Sure I can throw it back up.  I'll see if I kept a copy otherwise I can easily recompile it from that commit.

Epic. Appreciated once more. Would be nice to have as an experimental release. Please make sure to give it a different name or version number or people will mistakingly think its 2.03.1. It fooled me when i was making the article!

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Thanks!  Epic writing once again.  Yes I'll be using Charlie Loves icon.  I had the more traditional one in the repo but this is a nice modernisation on the name.  I never really liked the one I did, nothing can come close to Booms 90's clipart.

I will add the logo to the repo and all future binaries, credit will be given to Charlie with a link to the FDWL GitHub repo (the port I use for challenges).

3 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Thanks!  Epic writing once again.  Yes I'll be using Charlie Loves icon.  I had the more traditional one in the repo but this is a nice modernisation on the name.  I never really liked the one I did, nothing can come close to Booms 90's clipart.

I will add the logo to the repo and all future binaries, credit will be given to Charlie with a link to the FDWL GitHub repo (the port I use for challenges).

Great, ill change the logo when you get your part done.

Personally, i liked your logo aswell. Its very classic, but it makes the Boom heritage clear. Maybe you could mix it with Charlie's?

57 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Great, ill change the logo when you get your part done.

Personally, i liked your logo aswell. Its very classic, but it makes the Boom heritage clear. Maybe you could mix it with Charlie's?

I'll keep my logo for the GitHub readme but use Charlie's for the official Windows binary logo.  Mine also won't work for Mac app icons as it cannot be squashed enough, so if I ever do app bundles then Charlie's would also be better.

ReBOOM Experimental is here: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/tree/reboom-lilu-experimental

Binary for Windows: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/Lilu

I backported some fixes from ReBOOM master and the diffs can be seen what I added (since I did it all in one commit).  I guess it would be a nice archive of how to add MBF21 and DEHEXTRA onto Boom.  I also added a few 'ReBOOM' things but they are unused.

A bit of history:

The DEH file was modified based on Woof!

The MBF21 functions were based off of DSDA.

I substituted int64 for long long (due to the older code base and that all platforms I target have long long as a 64bit type).

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

ReBOOM Experimental is here: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/tree/reboom-lilu-experimental

Binary for Windows: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/Lilu

I backported some fixes from ReBOOM master and the diffs can be seen what I added (since I did it all in one commit).  I guess it would be a nice archive of how to add MBF21 and DEHEXTRA onto Boom.  I also added a few 'ReBOOM' things but they are unused.

A bit of history:

The DEH file was modified based on Woof!

The MBF21 functions were based off of DSDA.

I substituted int64 for long long (due to the older code base and that all platforms I target have long long as a 64bit type).

Clever name, lilu:)  So this is MBF21/DEHEXTRA and SIGIL support for crufty old Boom 2.02. Neat.

Good thing you didn't shorten it to ReBoom EX - it sounds nicer, but perhaps NightDive/Kaiser may take note :P

Ill have to think whether or not this should be stuck on the main ReBoom page or make a wholly new one. Since this is experimental, i do expect this is a rather fixed release since the spirit of ReBoom is on more subtle refinements and this is more analogus to, say, RorEternity - An experimental port to get Room-over-Room working in Eternity.

Either way, love that you put this up for people to toy with.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Clever name, lilu:)  So this is MBF21/DEHEXTRA and SIGIL support for crufty old Boom 2.02. Neat.

Good thing you didn't shorten it to ReBoom EX - it sounds nicer, but perhaps NightDive/Kaiser may take note :P

Ill have to think whether or not this should be stuck on the main ReBoom page or make a wholly new one. Since this is experimental, i do expect this is a rather fixed release since the spirit of ReBoom is on more subtle refinements and this is more analogus to, say, RorEternity - An experimental port to get Room-over-Room working in Eternity.

Either way, love that you put this up for people to toy with.

Yeah it will be static, probably I'll use it to test code but nothing that will be committed.  If someone else wants to fork it and play with it, by all means :)

Yeah, it is a nice piece of information for historical purposes

5 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Yeah it will be static, probably I'll use it to test code but nothing that will be committed.  If someone else wants to fork it and play with it, by all means :)

Yeah, it is a nice piece of information for historical purposes

Good, then here is the separate page for it since it deviates enough of the core port to do so.

All affected pages (Author page, MBF21 page) are changed to reflect this.

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Good, then here is the separate page for it since it deviates enough of the core port to do so.

All affected pages (Author page, MBF21 page) are changed to reflect this.

I really am racking up pages here :)

Thanks again for your hard work!

@Nikku4211 I have done another build (again same windows package name).  I accidentally wrapped teleportation on the Z axis on a compat layer :)

This is also using the logo from Charles on the binary.  Credit is in the readme.

Yo Mr. Gibbon, I come to you asking for yet another feature, or maybe its in here and I just can't figure it out. But is it possible to get level stats on the hud? ReBOOM is becoming my classic port of choice and this is just the one thing I'm missing. Keep up the great work!

14 minutes ago, RedHelix said:

Yo Mr. Gibbon, I come to you asking for yet another feature, or maybe its in here and I just can't figure it out. But is it possible to get level stats on the hud? ReBOOM is becoming my classic port of choice and this is just the one thing I'm missing. Keep up the great work!

That is actually quite a nice feature that would be nice to have in a config.  I'll take a look

@RedHelix

Added: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/commit/f781f5fd68fe5816dddd8c7aabf0b3cb9c538022

ReBOOM 2.04 is Released!

Release Page

https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/2.04

Changes

• Teleportation issues fixed
  • Z axis teleportation fixed
  • Demo compatibility parity with DOS Boom is achieved
  • Optimisations (removal of all registers, removal of all long, removal of functions that are 32bit on Windows and replaced with their 64bit alternatives)
  • Removal of d_io.h - all code is replaced where it is needed with the correct platform specific code
  • Cleanups of m_argv (the file is now valid C++ and valid C)
  • Removal of m_misc2
  • Warnings are reduced
  • By default (Linux, Mac) it is now compiled with c2x standard with pedantic. On Windows it is C17 by default, code was fixed where required
  • Removal of some unused integers and some ugly cheat code that was made
  • New Feature - always on hud stats and level name

as always, binaries for Windows, Mac and Linux are there.

Enjoy :)

Edited by Gibbon

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

@RedHelix

Added: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/commit/f781f5fd68fe5816dddd8c7aabf0b3cb9c538022

ReBOOM 2.04 is Released!

Release Page

https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/2.04

Changes

• Teleportation issues fixed
  • Z axis teleportation fixed
  • Demo compatibility parity with DOS Boom is achieved
  • Optimisations (removal of all registers, removal of all long, removal of functions that are 32bit on Windows and replaced with their 64bit alternatives)
  • Removal of d_io.h - all code is replaced where it is needed with the correct platform specific code
  • Cleanups of m_argv (the file is now valid C++ and valid C)
  • Removal of m_misc2
  • Warnings are reduced
  • By default (Linux, Mac) it is now compiled with c2x standard with pedantic. On Windows it is C17 by default, code was fixed where required
  • Removal of some unused integers and some ugly cheat code that was made
  • New Feature - always on hud stats and level name

as always, binaries for Windows, Mac and Linux are there.

Enjoy :)

Thanks for all your work. This is great stuff.

What happened to the fullscreen HUD? It doesn't work anymore. Now when I press F5, nothing happens, and when I press the + button after the HUD's gone, the fullscreen HUD doesn't appear.

Yeah Gibbon thanks, everything I've asked you've come through with! youre the man

Also Nikku, if you go into hud options disable always show stats and you can get the prboom hud back.