Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Some screens of tadm1: Reborn - layout beta

Some Screens of Reborn.
Setting: Futuristic Technological Base on an unknown planet where "Doom" has been transferred after the mission was finished in Doom ][.

Shot 1: Main Corridor of The Base

Shot 2: Pyramid Type of Stairs of Plasma Rifle Room

Shot 3: A Bridge Connects to Another Main Room

Shot 4: Reverse View of Bridge

Is this SP or DM?

It looks like the version of Technology Base I have for some weird reason.

(The green sky seems replaced BTW, may I ask for permission to salvage it?)

Little Faith said:

Is this SP or DM?

It looks like the version of Technology Base I have for some weird reason.

(The green sky seems replaced BTW, may I ask for permission to salvage it?)

It's for DM, Technology Arena deathmatch map 1.

Apparently you still have the sample I gave you in hand :)

I improved and basically completed the layout of the map. I don't care what you will do with the sky since I have not decided what to use in the end for it.

Hey, I almost forgot to congratulate you on the exceptionally concentrated amounts of ownage in that stuff.

Hope the gameplay is up to it so it doesn't become another GothicDM.

The link to the file is fixed now. It wasn't really .org, instead it's .com actually.

I am open to hear critiques on layout, gameflow, item placements, and visual quality. Looking forward to feedbacks and hope you will all like it.

Seems a bit sparse to me, not enough interesting architecture and generally not very well connected through out.

Sorry to sound harsh. But considering the game is 9 years old, I'd expect that level designs would have reached a certain standard by now.

satyr said:

Seems a bit sparse to me, not enough interesting architecture and generally not very well connected through out.

Sorry to sound harsh. But considering the game is 9 years old, I'd expect that level designs would have reached a certain standard by now.

Would you point out for me where exactly you are oppposed to? I've been working on this map almost 2 years, including all the texturing work and layout design. The map has been changed around a lot throughout the time. Most of the areas it played pretty well to me, especially with the addition of speed wall on both sides of the corridors. The most difficult part of compiling this map is that this map isn't exactly shaped linearly like most of the normal Doom maps. It can hardly fit in the grid, which is what took most of my time away.

Assuming the link to techbeta was the most up to date version:

999cop said:

Would you point out for me where exactly you are oppposed to? I've been working on this map almost 2 years, including all the texturing work and layout design.

2 years?!?! On a single map? On THIS map? What the hell... are you creating this map with a hex editor or something? I'm opposed to the fact that, considering that this maps taken 2 years to make, all of the textures are misaligned (upper & lower unpegged).
And it's just very very sparse in some areas (I'll post photos).

The map has been changed around a lot throughout the time. Most of the areas it played pretty well to me, especially with the addition of speed wall on both sides of the corridors. The most difficult part of compiling this map is that this map isn't exactly shaped linearly like most of the normal Doom maps. It can hardly fit in the grid, which is what took most of my time away.

Why did you bother making it harder for yourself when you clearly have problems mapping to a high degree anyway? It seems like you're kicking yourself in the teeth just for the sake of it.

Haha, that was harsh...

And satyr, you shouldn't really claim that the map is bad because the textures are misaligned (yeah I know you said many other reasons too) considering the map you just released has plenty of them. Not that your map isn't good or anything, in fact I quite like it.

Also, I'm not a DMer so I'm not sure on this, but isn't it the genreal idea between DMers that gameplay > looks in DM?

I'm not claming the map is bad, I'm saying it needs a few improvements. I'm sorry my comments were harsh, but if someone is to improve I believe they need to be told what needs being done to make things better.

And by now, it's nearly 10 years since Dooms release, gameplay obviously is more important that looks, but making a map look good should still be a high priority.

PS I'm well aware of my misaligned textures in my new map but considering my map only took 5 hours to make & it's my first ever Doom map I think the few that there are, are acceptable. And when I get round to it I will probably fix them.

PPS I've fixed all the texture misalignments in my map to prove a point.

satyr said:

Assuming the link to techbeta was the most up to date version:

2 years?!?! On a single map? On THIS map? What the hell... are you creating this map with a hex editor or something?

Hmm... Maybe the dude has a life other than computer games, and does not spend his friday night makeing wads (maybe he gets laid)...! Any way, textures take a while to make (especially good ones)!

Stealthy Ivan said:

Hmm... Maybe the dude has a life other than computer games, and does not spend his friday night makeing wads (maybe he gets laid)...! Any way, textures take a while to make (especially good ones)!

So, because he's not an amazing mapper means he has a life?

How does that one work, Einstein?

How does 5 hours in one night (and it was a Thursday night, not a Friday night) mean I don't have a life?

How does being a good mapper mean I don't get laid?

How about the fact that I haven't spent 2 years developing one map?

I think the fact that the original posters spent 2 years on one map means that HE infact is the one who doesn't have a life?

What you said is a stereotype, which sadly for your sake, I don't match. And I'm sure the original poster doesn't match the stereotype either.

But I appreciate that these textures take a while to make, that wasn't up for discussion. But again, the textures could be put to better use in my own opinion.

Anyway, this is turning into a flame war which is my fault & I apologise.

I'll stop posting on this thread and just say that he needs to make the minor improvements (fix misaligned textures, connect it all a bit better and add a bit more interesting architecture and add a few more items).

Stealthy Ivan said:

maybe he gets laid

Oh my god, 999cop + women = disaster. The wierd thing about this map
is about 2 years ago cop sent me this when it was started (plasma room and pyrimid steps) and it looks the exact same with some really ugly (in my opinion) textures. Much room for improvement. First off connectivity is horrible. 1 hallway to each main room? Lame! If you're going to have a dm map have connectivity. I'm also opposed to the doors but thats your call. Some areas are rather bland and boring. Barely any variation of textures anywhere. blah blah blah

satyr, you are free to stay to voice your opinions if you like, I am absolutely open to reasonable critiques.

for all of you who complained about the texture alignment, i'd apologize for that, cuz i have never done any arrangement to aligning textures. This was only intended for testing for gameplay, that's basically it.

yeah it sucks that i have been spending most of the time on connecting vertices in tiny little grids, I should have moved on and work on something else for the map, same as been so hard with converting hi res textures into low res textures for Doom, yes took me lots of attempt for it.

i might be a better mapper if i weren't so desperate with making sectors diagonally in small grids, actually there used to be a lot of complex details displayed in the level, however due to the limit of vpo in doom2.exe, i was forced to cut down the details a lot of times

true that i don't spend much time with mapping, instead i'd rather spend time on something else on comp whenever i have a chance to, im basically a user new to computers cuz i only got my first comp since i was 14 and now im 16, therefore it's more worth to learn something else about computers other than just mapping

ralphis, true that the plasma room hasnt changed much since back then, but i have made plenty of changes on the the shape of the halls, Saint can prove it if he is seeing the map right now, i had sent him one as well back in doomserv

you have obviously left out the point about the plasma room is that it can be used quite useful with a proper strategy. besides it's not easy at all to make a level which combines of several elements of different types of map(doom2 map1, dwnango5 map2, bal3dm3[disinformation from q3], and obviously some parts were inspired by doom3, the level as well is designed aiming at featuring essential doom techniques such as wallrun, respawn kill, strafe run,...etc

anyways, i might as well start making improvements to the level and release a next beta, that might fulfill what you would need to see

Dest-X said:

Heh, thanks for advertising my site ;) (X.lab)

you crazy numbnuts, hes trying to make it look like the doom3 level from the macworld movie, i've never even heard about your site until now :P

Hey, Ralphis said something useful. The connectivity between the rooms is my main gripe with this wad.

I also think some of the areas could use a tad more detail, but still, try to make the halls connect with eachother in more than one way. To facilitate smoother gameplay.

Unlike Ralphis I think that the textures are neat.