Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

Scripting makes the world go round

Man, scripts rock.. with a little ingenuity and a lot of time, you can achieve just about anything on Doom now with scripts... scripting, at least in ZDoom is like the easiest thing.. you just have to know a little bit about what it is exactly you are trying to do with your map.. either way, all editors should start implementing scripts.. they just rule

What's so funny? It's true.. I've been able to work my way around ANY problems I've had so far... anything I can think of, I can pretty much implement with ZDoom scripting, and I mean anything!!

Heh, I can't tell you how many times I've tried to script. It just doesn't make sense.

Heh, I can't tell you how many times I've tried to script. It just doesn't make sense.

ROFL

;)

simple things in ACS is _very_ easy,blah, its fun!!!!!! and the kids just love it!

its like, you can make the lights fade out and they spark, then monsters spawn, and then when you kill those monsters health poops up some where!! im pretty sure that can be done, something to do with thingcount

Hiya.

I agree. Scripting is dead easy for 'simple' things, and, with just a little bit of reading, you can get some pretty elaborate scripting once you get into it. I also agree that every DOOM/Heretic port should have scripting in it. Scripting kicks ass, plain and simple.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Lüt, Lord the of Lines, doesn't understand scripting?
/me falls out of chair

I agree with ChaosOverlord, scripting rock!

Yeah !

Scripting in ACS is very easy and very cool too !
What is the difference ? They don't have one, it's just more playable with ZDoom scripting ! That is a way we don't need to forgot !
ACS make maps more reel !
Adding them is perfectly all way of a map !

THE MINUTE i finish my heretic thing (early 2002, I wager) I'm learning ACS and releasing something for hexen.

(early 2002, I wager)

AGH!! NO!

What? That bad? It would go faster if I could think of a damned story/theme.

Only bad when you consider the one I've had going for 5 years will probably be out after that :P

Obviously I didn't work on it all that time.

Only bad when you consider the one I've had going for 5 years will probably be out after that :P

Obviously I didn't work on it all that time.

What map are you on?

dude, i learned how to script almost over night... just check out the tutorials on the zdoom webpage man... make it all available offline and there you go... just use it as you go... after that things just start making sense and then, bam! you're pretty much writing your own scripts... i dunno.. that's how it was for me...

What map are you on?

Well... they're all at different stages, most have been 85-95% complete for the last 4 years. I need an E3M6 and E3M8, no idea for either. I had an E3M8 but I needed scripts (ho ho) to make it work right, otherwise it sucked. So I trashed it.

Tarin is the King of Scripts. Other folks do cool scripts too (Kurt Kesler, Rick Clark, Nigel Rowand, etc.), and perhaps they should all share the throne. (It might get a little crowded up there, but what the heck -- it's for a good cause.)

I don't entirely agree that scripting is easy. While the logic portion is fine, the syntax and script structure can be a source of endless grief on more complex scripts. Simple scripts, usually, are a breeze. Still, I whole-heartedly endorse the use of scripts wherever possible.

I'm going to have to say, I don't really feel that Tarin is better then me at scripting.. I understand scripting, and I understand how to manipulate it to do exactly what I want.. If someone named something they would like to see done on a map, I could probably implement it with scripting... at least that's how I see it

OMG, thanks for the compliment, but I certainly would not dare to put myself on a throne alongside Tarin, Kurt Kesler or Rick Clark.

My scripts are simple in the extreme. Anything aproaching cunning that I have done was copied and pasted from someone else. There was this conversion called "Paranoia" that taught me a lot... ;-)

NJTRAIN was a masterpiece of extremely tense gameplay, fantastic illusion, and DooM innovation. I would attribute a large part of its success to the scripts.

(I neglected to mention Tomi Rajala, who I think is an excellent scripter too.)

Paranoia? Never heard of it ;)

I'm going to have to say, I don't really feel that Tarin is better then me at scripting..

IIRC *you* were the one who asked how to make breakable glass with ACS, not me ;) It's not about understanding the syntax or knowing every single ACS function (though that helps a lot; hello kdoom ;), it's about the way you use and combine them.

It's not about understanding the syntax or knowing every single ACS function (though that helps a lot; hello kdoom ;), it's about the way you use and combine them.

Yep; high sidedef counts don't make a good map, neither does 2,000 scripts.

/me dodges irony alerts.

You people are forgetting about Tommie Quick, he's also done some really cool stuff with scripts.

Yeah ok, scripting with ACS can be hard, but it's also easier when mixing some script with other as Tarin said.

ACS remove the old doom and doom 2 sector way that it used.
With scripting, one sector can have many or unlimited orders ...

I'm not an expert of programming and scripting, but i do what i want and i make the effect to hide the trick i want.

TIP for newbies :

Try to use all effect and sector/line special capability. And you will mastering the way soon as possible !

Tarin : what IIRC means (sorry i don't know this expressions).

Tarin : what IIRC means (sorry i don't know this expressions).

If I Remember Correctly