Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ricola102

Why is it called Alien Vendetta anyway?

Rika avatar, good taste confirmed

As others have said, alien can also refer to things besides outer space. Things that come from another reality or plane of existence would be considered "alien."

"Rise of the Wool Ball" does have actual wool balls in it.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Why is Technicolor Antichrist Box called this way when Technicolor is a product of the roaring twenties and i believe in Christianity?

lmao, I didn't even come up with the name- when I'd posted the very first screenshots of the starting area with the upside down crosses on a Discord, TheMisterCat (working on Age of Hell) just posted that beneath, and I just rolled with it :P (I know this is a joke but still felt like telling the story because it's a good memory :P )
Technically, it was produced in the Roaring 20's, The Sequel.

But yeah, sometimes names are just that- a thing to call a WAD. I've literally named some absolutely nonsensical things (i.e. Funny Piece of Shit is a fond fav of mine), it's often a speedmapping trope that they're either inappropriate or completely random. I tend not to read too much into naming conventions.

I called a Commander Keen mod Clouds Unseen on a complete whim, it came to my mind as I was drawing a title screen and it stuck in spite of having nothing to do with the mod.

Actually my username originated the exact same way, also while making a Commander Keen mod.  I had to put something as an author in the opening crawl.  Nearly 20 years later I'm still stuck with it.  Anyway all this is to say that the name isn't important as long as it's memorable, and Alien Vendetta is a lot more memorable than generic names like "Dead Outpost" or "Hellward Bound" that I've given to Doom wads before

10 hours ago, Andy Johnsen said:

I guess I'll throw in a little tidbit of trivia here; I actually named the project "Alien Vindicta" back in 1996, then made the change to "Alien Vendetta" in august 1999. I figured demons / Hell spawn were just as "alien" to this world as anything. The initial idea behind the name centered around a useless and never fleshed out storyline based on a supposed revenge quest from the Icon of Sin after it was defeated in Doom II.

Even though the storyline was never elaborated on and eventually dropped, I figured the name sounded cool enough to stick. "Alien Vindicta" actually exist as a 32 level hastily compiled megawad; a super early AV version that thankfully never saw release. I'm glad I resisted the temptation to throw out "Vindicta" in 98, or AV in its current form wouldn't exist. It does contain several very early 90ies editions of the current AV maps, as well as a bunch of my own unreleased content that I made when I was around 16 and messed around in archaic editors, heh. I'm not too keen on letting this relic out the door, but maybe some day. For kicks, here is the 1996 title screen that Kim Malde made for it about 26 years ago, for what "could have been" (ouch!):

vindicta logo.jpg

And thus, a tiny slice of Doom history and trivia was preserved in this post.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:21 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

I guess I'll throw in a little tidbit of trivia here; I actually named the project "Alien Vindicta" back in 1996, then made the change to "Alien Vendetta" in august 1999. I figured demons / Hell spawn were just as "alien" to this world as anything. The initial idea behind the name centered around a useless and never fleshed out storyline based on a supposed revenge quest from the Icon of Sin after it was defeated in Doom II.

Even though the storyline was never elaborated on and eventually dropped, I figured the name sounded cool enough to stick. "Alien Vindicta" actually exist as a 32 level hastily compiled megawad; a super early AV version that thankfully never saw release. I'm glad I resisted the temptation to throw out "Vindicta" in 98, or AV in its current form wouldn't exist. It does contain several very early 90ies editions of the current AV maps, as well as a bunch of my own unreleased content that I made when I was around 16 and messed around in archaic editors, heh. I'm not too keen on letting this relic out the door, but maybe some day. For kicks, here is the 1996 title screen that Kim Malde made for it about 26 years ago, for what "could have been" (ouch!):

vindicta logo.jpg

Now this is the post I was really hoping for in this thread. I do really appreciate old doom history/trivia. Thanks @Andy Johnsen Feel free to share more like this.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

That title screen looks so 90's that it would make Doomkid blush :D

It immediately gave me a distinct vibe, like something from a classic Amiga game. And then I realized:

image.png.83932b29758bd46ab91a009de95c1340.png

I'd kill for a Cannon Fodder TC, incidentally.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, Andy Johnsen said:

vindicta logo.jpg

Alien Vendetta just makes me so excited to play doom
I love seeing stuff like this.

... You could read it with the idea that the Vendetta itself is an Alien concept. Alien Vendetta... As opposed to Familiar Vendetta.