Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rubilacxe

Good Hexen Source Port?

Zdoom, especially if you want all the bells and whistles that Zdoom brings to the other supported games (Doom and Heretic). OK, so Hexen already had a few of the advanced features, but Zdoom has added so much more now as well. You also have the option of bringing features (monsters, weapons, items) from the other supported games into which ever game you are playing.

If you just want prettyness, then the doomsday engine has a nice solid, good looking Hexen port.

Of course, once timmie is done with Zdoomgl, you can have the best of both worlds.

From the above choices, I'd go for Zdoom. I like all the options, it's as stable as a shed full of horses and I still like unaccelerated graphics in doom engines. In case you don't have it, the latest Zdoom is here. http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/47.cab

Edit: Having re-read the above, I'm sounding very dismissive of the Doomsday engine. It's a damn fine engine with many options (see what was done with the Doom64 TC -which really has to be the showcase mod for that engine). My choice is still Zdoom though.

cool thanks :)

yeah I do use the Doomsday engine on my home computer, but at the moment I'm away from it and don't like using Hexen old DOS style...I've always trusted ZDOOM but I don't have the new version, so I couldn't use Hexen for a while...getting it now.

Rubilacxe said:

Can anyone recommend a good reliable source port for Hexen?

If you want plain Hexen, try ZDoom. (2.0.47, the latest beta)

If you want something more, try the Korax Mod. (JHexen included in zip)

ZDoom is the best one I've seen with Hexen support. Doomsday has Hexen, but there are some issues with it. Legacy is working on getting it soon. Those are basically the 3 most used ports (unless someone can tell me otherwise. :P)

AgentSpork said:

Those are basically the 3 most used ports (unless someone can tell me otherwise. :P)

Technically hexen.exe is a port, so... =P

more people use zdoom, legacy and jhexen than hexen.exe (in general) so his statement is not incorrect

Cyb said:

more people use legacy than hexen.exe

Debatable. Anyway, it's also quite possible that more people still use boom.exe rather than either legacy or Doomsday.

I said and, not or. Legacy AND jHexen AND Zdoom, more than hexen.exe

further proof? The first three run on all windows machines (except for low end ones, and even then legacy and zdoom are possible) whereas hexen.exe only runs on win9x and dos in an acceptable form

PMJI, but what are the "issues" with jHexen? I'm aware (from jHeretic) that there is an issue with chaos devices and voodoo dolls, but jHexen has seemed to work generally OK when I have used it.

Cyb said:

I said and, not or. Legacy AND jHexen AND Zdoom, more than hexen.exe

You said and, he didn't ("Those are basically the 3 most used ports"). Therefore your remark that his statement was correct is still incorrect (which is what I was implying before ;) ).

you can use zdoom for Hexen?
man, I must have been living under a rock without a computer all my life..
wait, just with no computer..

KoRn said:

you can use zdoom for Hexen?
man, I must have been living under a rock without a computer all my life..

Hexen support in Zdoom is quite a recent development.

Grazza said:

Hexen support in Zdoom is quite a recent development.

Umm, if you count a couple of years ago as recent, then yeah :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Umm, if you count a couple of years ago as recent, then yeah :)

I was thinking in terms of full support rather than partial support.