Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doompunk13

help???!!

how come when i zoom all the way out in doom 1,2 and final i cant see any hub just the gun and in alot of screen shots i see the health meter and ammo and keys and stuff but i cant ..l.is there some thin i need to download or what?

It took a minute to figure out what you meant, heheh. Anyway, in normal Doom, there is no HUD when you zoom all the way out. However, you were looking at screenshots of source ports, like ZDoom (47.cab is the latest right now) or JDoom. Source ports are just Doom enhancement programs, usually used to make the game look nicer and remove all of the annoying map limits.

I don't use Doom95 either, not even the one that's included with Final Doom. I do know that it removes most of those map limits, and that it plays in a window instead of in DOS mode. However, it also has a lot of bugs.

Ichor said:

However, it also has a lot of bugs.

One being that it sucks.

DOOM 95 is slow and ugly. It sucks as hell. These who use it, sucks too.

Doom95 is a direct port of doom2.exe to windows. It's a work of art for anyone who wants to stick to the classic and doesn't have dos

Ralphis said:

Doom95 is a direct port of doom2.exe to windows. It's a work of art for anyone who wants to stick to the classic and doesn't have dos

I'd say that Prboom do that better, imo.

Torn said:

I'd say that Prboom do that better, imo.

I'd agree except for one little thing...

GF49!!

I still prefer Prboom though, because VPOs and stuff aren't cool.

Grazza said:

I'd agree except for one little thing...

GF49!!

I still prefer Prboom though, because VPOs and stuff aren't cool.

But I don't use that much tho. I use it mostly to watch demos cause it got some nice demo features, or else doom2.exe all the way for me. :)

so what ur sayin is that doom95 sucks...ive played Doom on dos and doom 95 4 about humm 6years now and there both the same.....realiie the windows one is easyier to work and to use new
WAD files in....and i havnt had n e bugs in my game yet....

No kidding. Plus Doom95 still having support for those old DM demos for The LAst REsort... Watching old timer deathmathers is a blast. Back when the run faster trick wasn't exactly used very much...

there is no bugs with the doom 95 i have ..plus ive installed it on about 6-7-8 diferent computers with different windows (like 95-98-xp ect.) and no bugs!

Darkstalker said:
While on the subject, I never tried the Doom95 thingy. Is it the same thing as the original Doom(2).exe but doesn't need DOS ? What are the main differences between the original .exe and this one?

What Doom95 is that DOOM is not:
- a native Win32 program (DOOM is a 16-bit DOS DPMI profram with 32-bit memory management)
- a source port, developed by a team of M$ developers and Monolith

What Doom95 does/has DOOM does not:
- automatic sound h/w detection and configuration
- 320x240, 640x400 and 640x480 resolutions in addition to DOOM's 320x200
- windowed modes (with desktop at 256 colors only)
- DirectDraw support
- integrated setup/config and launcher
- some DOOM engine limitations (e.g. visplane limit) relaxed
- Lost Souls bounce off surfaces
- additional cheat codes - stealth and mass kill

What's wrong with Doom95:
- slow, slow, slow. I'm not talking about the framerate - you need a CPU around 800 MHz to keep it steady at the max 35fps in SVGA resolutions. The >>gameplay itself<< is slower than in DOOM: monstars move slower, you move slower, projectiles move slower. Even the sound pitch is lower!
- dies on some DOOM quirks like the Medusa effect
- no DeHacked support
- limited DOOM[] and Final DOOM demo support
- broken demo recording (but you can FTP my fix for it from any DOOM archive and mirrors =)
- no mouse under Windoze 2000 and XP

With all its shortcomings, Doom95 still remains the best-looking source port utilizing software renderer and one with the best frontend, too. That said, I hardly ever use it anymore; it's either DOOM or prBoom for me.

Ichor said:
I don't use Doom95 either, not even the one that's included with Final Doom. I do know that it removes most of those map limits, and that it plays in a window instead of in DOS mode. However, it also has a lot of bugs.

Would you care to elaborate on the bugs? Besides the maxdemo, Medusa and "cursor-trapped-in-a-phantom-window" ones, I can['t think of any, off the top of my head.

---------------------------------------
Ralphis said:
Doom95 is a direct port of doom2.exe to windows.

That is not correct. There are significant differences (see my previous post).

It's a work of art for anyone who wants to stick to the classic and doesn't have dos

It's very close to the classic, visually; but if you don't have DOS, chances are Doom95 will be of little use, too (meaning Win2000 and XP here).

doompunk13 said:
So what ur sayin is that doom95 sucks...ive played Doom on dos and doom 95 4 about humm 6years now and there both the same.....realiie the windows one is easyier to work and to use new
WAD files in

"Easier"? Ever tried to load more than one WAD with Doom95 a once?

and i havnt had n e bugs in my game yet....

Try playing the first level of the classic SUDTIC.WAD. If you find a way not to bomb out to the desktop, try recording an .lmp of it and email it to me.

doompunk13 said:
there is no bugs with the doom 95 i have ..plus ive installed it on about 6-7-8 diferent computers with different windows (like 95-98-xp ect.) and no bugs!

Ah, I see - a keyboarder ...