Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rubilacxe

Old ZDOOM

I keep hearing about ZDOOM 1.23 but I can't find it...was it ever released and if so where can I find it?

Zdoom 1.23 started development a short time after version 1.22 was released. It went through 33 mostly public beta versions over a period of about 2 - 2 1/2 years. So the last 1.23 version was b33. It doesn't stop there, however. Mainly because so much had changed from version 1.22, Randy decided to bump the version number from 1.23 to 2.0. There was never a "final" version of 1.23. The development of version 2.0 continues.

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/123beta33.zip

The most recent version is Zdoom 2.0.47. Randy has said that the 2.0.X versions were never beta. When they first appeared, they were known as "pre-releases", indicating an imminent "final" release but that term seems to have been dropped now. Randy has also said that he will increase the number to 2.1 and call it "final" once he is happy with things. That was some time ago now.

So, the current version is 2.0.47 but whether that is considered in any way a "final" release version or not, I'm unsure. Suffice to say it's very stable, and I think most people have been using it for some time. However, the next release (2.0.48 - probably) is going to have the cool feature of an uncapped frame rate making what you see on screen much smoother...

http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/47.cab

Enjay said:

However, the next release (2.0.48 - probably) is going to have the cool feature of an uncapped frame rate making what you see on screen much smoother...

If you have a fast enough computer that is :)

Ultraviolet said:

I'll probably be continuing to average about 25 FPS... that is, on underdetailed levels.

What a computer do you have? On a modern system the frame rate only very rarely drops below 35 fps. It has to be an insanely detailed level for this to happen on my 2 GHz machine. (in 1280x1024 resolution)

cool...alright. Yeah I still have 1.22 installed. I liked the latest 2.0 version and all...but I found some strange problems with some of the MODs I have installed...like mine for example; Cube. Some of the weapons wouldn't fire at all or would take several clicks to fire (the Mortar and the Creature Creator).

I hope they fix that Floor_RaiseToShortTex bug which basically makes one of the secrets in Crypts (Heretic map) inaccessible.

Graf Zahl said:

What a computer do you have? On a modern system...

Looks like you answered your own question. I can only run it at 640x480 at an acceptable framerate, heh.

Ichor said:

I hope they fix that Floor_RaiseToShortTex bug which basically makes one of the secrets in Crypts (Heretic map) inaccessible.

Isn't there a compatibility option to sort this out? (I think it's 'find shortest textures like DooM')

I tried other commands, and Floor_RaiseNearandChange does work. However, it would have changed the flat to something totally different, making the tomb look ugly. I do have an idea to fix that completely, but that would mean reloading it to the archives. I'll just wait a bit before trying (working on a new secret for my Hexen project right now, heheh).

Rubilacxe: have you reported these problems in the ZDoom bugs phorum or in an e-mail to Randy?

Ichor: Ultimate Doomer is reffering to one of the settings in the ZDoom 'compatability' menu (under 'options'). It's actually the very top setting :)

Ichor said:

I tried other commands, and Floor_RaiseNearandChange does work. However, it would have changed the flat to something totally different, making the tomb look ugly. I do have an idea to fix that completely, but that would mean reloading it to the archives. I'll just wait a bit before trying (working on a new secret for my Hexen project right now, heheh).

[offtopic]That reminds me - how is the next Fury hub coming along? I played the first hub again today (with Direct3D = no trouble) and loved it. (well, except for the instant death homing hellstaff)[/offtopic]

I've not actually tried the option I've mentioned (not needed to so far) but the wording of it does suggest it will fix the 'W1: up by shortest lower texture' problem.

It's not really instant death. It just hurts a lot. As for the rest of the project, it's coming along nicely, albeit sort of slowly at times. I'm about halfway done with the second episode right now.