Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Simon666

Doom: The new nightmare

I'm new here to this forum ( even if i played most Wad out there and played Doom since it came to the market )
Recently, i started working on a "new" Doom wad using a whole new different engine based on the source code of a popular Mac fps called Marathon 2 ( don't start to yell at me ok? )
called A1, which is playable on both Pc and Mac.
Here are some of the engine features:
-Open gl graphics
-Fog ( with the option of setting differents colors for it )
-High res textures
-The ability to look up and down
-No limits or restriction when it come to map design
-The ability to hold up two weapons at the same time
-Most weapons can have a second trigger
-Scripting language, allowing monster to do certain thing
-The ability to have 8 different colors pallete for each monster ( for exemple, one can have 8 different kind of cacodemon )
-Terminals, allowing the player to acess vital information, get a bit of story telling and statistic about each levels he's playing on
-recharger and oxygen recharger ( which are special scripted switch )
-The ability to go underwater
-A new Head up display who show monsters movements, energy, oxygen, weapons and ammo remaining
-A chasecam, for a Tomb raider style gameplay
-The option to toggle a crosshair during gameplay
-The ability to teleport ammo to the player
-Teleport and platform, of course
-Spliting door
-32 bit landscape of 540x1024
-The ability to add ambient sounds
-Mp3 music option

And many many more, the list would be too big i think!
I'll go straight to the point and tell you the limitation i might encounter:
-i might not be able to script the "backpack" item
-adding the blue, red and yellow key would be impossible BUT the engine allow for many differents way of openning a door ( switch, tagged switch, uplink ship disk that control certain type of door, or door only controllable by monsters, or even light only controlled door.

That's all the limitations i will encounter, all other thing can be done and it might work really well :)
So, i want you to tell me what you would like to see in this "new"
Doom game, many thing can be done with the engine, so tell what you would like to have ( new monsters, new weapons etc etc )
tell me what type of map you would like to see, if you have any story idea make sure to tell me, remember to tell, each level can have up to 16 terminal which allow the player to obtain informations. Awaiting your reply.
Simon D.

Uh, you just type newproject. And he's not asking for help, just ideas.

Simon666: This sounds pretty good. I'd like to see it sometime. the lack of keys is strange though. I imagine this engine wont be compatable with any current doom wads.

-Open gl graphics

Various Doom ports

-Fog ( with the option of setting differents colors for it )

ZDooM
-High res textures

A few ports

-The ability to look up and down

Tons of ports

-No limits or restriction when it come to map design

There are hardly any restrictions in Doom mapping now, thanks to ports

-The ability to hold up two weapons at the same time

Pfft

-Most weapons can have a second trigger

Alternate attacks can be done in EDGE, via DDF

-Scripting language, allowing monster to do certain thing

Hmm, maybe ACS?

-The ability to have 8 different colors pallete for each monster ( for exemple, one can have 8 different kind of cacodemon )

You can do that via ACS in ZDooM
-Terminals, allowing the player to acess vital information, get a bit of story telling and statistic about each levels he's playing on

ACS in ZDooM
-recharger and oxygen recharger ( which are special scripted switch )

ACS too

-The ability to go underwater

Various ports

-A new Head up display who show monsters movements, energy, oxygen, weapons and ammo remaining

Meh

-A chasecam, for a Tomb raider style gameplay

Various ports

-The option to toggle a crosshair during gameplay

Various ports

-The ability to teleport ammo to the player

ACS

-Teleport and platform, of course

What?

-Spliting door

ZDooM

-32 bit landscape of 540x1024

What?

-The ability to add ambient sounds

Various ports

-Mp3 music option

Various ports

Nothing revolutionary there, d00d.

Hmm, well, what do you know... gotta edit this to add the quote cause BBG's lame post got in the middle:

Draconio said:
I'm not sure I understand. Is this a Doom-themed TC for another game or what?

Yeah, from what I read he's making a DOOM Total Conversion using the Marathon 2 engine.

myk said:

Yeah, from what I read he's making a DOOM Total Conversion using the Marathon 2 engine.

And? Marathon 2 is a Mac game, right? Onlt like, 3 Doomers use Macs, AFAIK and what's the point? There's Mac Doom source ports so why the need for a TC?

Oh and :

-i might not be able to script the "backpack" item
-adding the blue, red and yellow key would be impossible BUT the engine allow for many differents way of openning a door ( switch, tagged switch, uplink ship disk that control certain type of door, or door only controllable by monsters, or even light only controlled door.

Uh, if you have the source, can't you code them in? I mean, isn't that what the source code is meant for, for adding new stuff to the game engine's code?

pay attention you people! and calm the fuck down bbg, wth is your problem. i'm surprised you didn't attack randy heit into submission when he proposed making zdoom. (LEGACY ALREADY HAS JUMPING AND 16 PLAYERS IN MULTIPLAYER, YOU FUCKCART!!!)

Simon666 said:

i started working on a "new" Doom wad using a whole new different engine based on the source code of a popular Mac fps called Marathon 2 ( don't start to yell at me ok? ) called A1, which is playable on both Pc and Mac.

Grogglogobofink said:

pay attention you people! and calm the fuck down bbg, wth is your problem. i'm surprised you didn't attack randy heit into submission when he proposed making zdoom. (LEGACY ALREADY HAS JUMPING AND 16 PLAYERS IN MULTIPLAYER, YOU FUCKCART!!!)

Too much drugs? heh.

Before peoples start discouraging someone who want to a new kind of Doom game, please pay attention to what he type!
First, an answer to BBG attack on me:
"Uh, if you have the source, can't you code them in? I mean, isn't that what the source code is meant for, for adding new stuff to the game engine's code?"

My answer: I have ZERO programming skill, i only know how to script and, of course, i know how to create maps and everything required to make a TC. If i were a programmer, i would add new things into the game, but i am not, and if you look at my first post you'll notice that i never mentioned about adding new stuff into the engine.

"And? Marathon 2 is a Mac game, right? Onlt like, 3 Doomers use Macs, AFAIK and what's the point?

My answer: Marathon 2 isn't only a Mac game, it's for both Pc and Mac, by making this "new" Doom game. So what's the point, you ask? I want to break the barrier between the two platform and make a Doom that every Mac and Pc's user will enjoy, and to tell you the truth, there's more then 3 MacDoomer is our world, so that's why i'm making this game. I have both a Pc and a Mac and they are both great.

"Nothing revolutionary there, d00d."

Sure, there's nothing revolutionary in what i'm doing, oh wait? How can you tell!? Have you played my game yet!?
::sarcasm::

And now to finish this post, i am surprised that after all those years, there's still some peoples on the forums without open-mind, i encourage peoples to give me ideas instead of crappy comments and such because i plan to finish that game.
I hope there's still friendly Doomers like Assmaster, Grogglogobofink and Korn in this forum, thanks for your time and encouragement, even on Mac or Pc, i AM a Doomer, that's all.

KoRn said:

I wonder how the new project tag is done...

Just put 'newproject' inside square brackets, like any vb tag. And close the tag afterwards.

But don't use it here, as like someone else said, he's not actually asking anyone to help him, just asking for ideas.

Doom projects for other games have had a history of legal trouble. Be careful.

Really? Examples, please?

mmmm, those mods got fucked over because they used the original resources. I hope you're not planning on swiping all the Doom data, or at least get a converter from Doom to Marathon format so people can make a data archive themselves.

Scripting is a form of programming btw, so in effect you do have some programming knowledge :)

Grimm said:

Really? Examples, please?

Newbie alert! =P

Seriously though, as mentioned Generations and Reborn were "foxed". The same thing happened to Doom TCs for Max Payne, Half-Life and Serious Sam, plus several other games (I could be wrong but I seem to remember a Doom TC for Starcraft). This was done either by ID or GT Interactive (Doom 1 and 2's publishers).

NiGHTMARE said:

The same thing happened to Doom TCs for Max Payne, Half-Life and Serious Sam, plus several other games ...

I guess the stuff I did for my Half-Life TC must have slipped under the radar. I didn't realize that there were problems with TCs for those games.

Back on topic, my best wishes to Simon666 for his project.

Heh, that's amazing. I never woulda thought id even cares any more . . . but then again GT certainly might. Just outta curiousity, what exactly does foxed mean?

Grimm said:

Just outta curiousity, what exactly does foxed mean?

Fox Entertainment REALLY doesnt like it when people do gaming stuffage like mods based on Fox works without their authorization. That's where the term came from.

Grimm said:

Suing level, or just cease-and-desist?

I guess both :P

I'm sure they began at a 'cease-and0desist' level but then if that don't work go on to sueing.

I read somewhere once about a Boba Fett fansite that some young kid set up. Lucas' lawyers emailed the kid to stop the site, and I think they did actually threaten to sue. I don't think Lucas knew about it himself. The kids dad wrote a letter to him, and he quickly apologised and stopped the lawyers.

Yeah, FOX is rather zealous. In my job I'm part of the production of a show for FOX and I had to sign a $5,000,000 confidentiality certificate.